• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Jubilee 50ps opinions

I notice these are all sold out now alongside the other coins in the new release. Does any one think these will be as popular amongst collectors or see a drop in value and desirability over time ? 

I did order one (piedfort)but considering cancelling, I wish I had been on time for one of the gold pieces!  Half of the older 50p proofs on Ebay are toned or discoloured in some way despite being in a capsule.

J

Edited by booboobear

3 hours ago, booboobear said:

Half of the older 50p proofs on Ebay are toned or discoloured in some way despite being in a capsule.

Keep some tarnish paper or silverbrite in the box and replace it every few years and they might fare better than the rest.

My guess is that these coins will have a strong demand as the date of the jubilee approaches. Particularly if the whole occasion has a lot of media coverage, which seems likely. I think flippers will do well in the next month, if they actually have them in hand by then.

Maybe prices will drop over time. That said, the 50p brigade will always be interested in them. I think they will do well over time, even if they do dip in the mid term.

The piedfort silver is interesting. I nearly bought one and have some regret in not doing so, much like the crown I passed on. I feel I really should've got some version of it at least. 

The platinum is most intriguing. I assume it's the only platinum 50p that will ever be made and that it will be a big winner.

The concern for me is that there's just too many variations of these coins, which is why I tried to keep my spending down. Although with there being no circulating versions of the 50p, surely the grand total will still be relatively low amongst 50p collectors? Although I wonder how many BU's are produced...

I have a lot of assumptions. Who knows? Not me for sure. Just my thoughts on it...

@booboobear A quick search on ebay suggests you should not cancel your order. -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Platinum-Jubilee-Silver-Proof-50p-Royal-Mint-Piedfort-COA-LEP-2500-Soldout-/313822440097?hash=item4911466aa1%3Ag%3AAPMAAOSw0Tdh1tMO&nma=true&si=ZCEdzNSmDxhFj4WXAvgrOZ09SI0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If I'm not mistaken, I vaguely remember the piedfort being one of the few that was actually ready for dispatch, with most other versions being subject to long waits of 4 to 9 weeks. Seems like a good selling opportunity if you don't want to hold...

2 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Platinum-Jubilee-Silver-Proof-50p-Royal-Mint-Piedfort-COA-LEP-2500-Soldout-/313822440097?hash=item4911466aa1%3Ag%3AAPMAAOSw0Tdh1tMO&nma=true&si=ZCEdzNSmDxhFj4WXAvgrOZ09SI0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If I'm not mistaken, I vaguely remember the piedfort being one of the few that was actually ready for dispatch, with most other versions being subject to long waits of 4 to 9 weeks. Seems like a good selling opportunity if you don't want to hold...

Got a notice my piedfort was dispatched today..

🙂🙂

On 07/01/2022 at 14:47, SilverJacks said:

I was told when I called dispatch would have been up to 5 weeks. I cancelled it 😡 now I see them selling for that price.

I bought a proof half Sov instead and will keep it see what happens to the price.

23 minutes ago, booboobear said:

I was told when I called dispatch would have been up to 5 weeks. I cancelled it 😡 now I see them selling for that price.

I bought a proof half Sov instead and will keep it see what happens to the price.

Oh I see. Well if that's what they said then likely your dispatch was up to 5 weeks for your particular order as they kept extending the estimate as time wore on. I might have been looking at it early doors or something.

What proof half sov did you get?

35 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Oh I see. Well if that's what they said then likely your dispatch was up to 5 weeks for your particular order as they kept extending the estimate as time wore on. I might have been looking at it early doors or something.

What proof half sov did you get?

Yes I think so to. It is all over the place with the RM at the moment.

I got the 2022 half Sov proof. I wanted the full version but couldn’t find it anywhere other than for £1000! Regardless, I will enjoy looking at it more than the horseback design 50p.

Jamie

Edited by booboobear

1 minute ago, booboobear said:

I got the 2022 half Sov proof. I wanted the full version but couldn’t find it anywhere other than for £1000! Regardless, I will enjoy looking at it more than the horseback design 50p.

Jamie

I was hoping you'd say the 2022. Nice one 👍

3 minutes ago, booboobear said:

Jamie

The 2022 proof can be had for a lot cheaper than than 1k if still interested. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 hours ago, blackadder said:

I went for nothing 😂 as refuse to sit on that site to get nothing time after time.

I bought mine on Westminster coins...the queue was 5 minutes....everone goes straight on RM site...but its so quicker on WC.

Only problem is if you want Gold they don't get issued the from the RM but buying silver is easier to buy on WC.

On 07/01/2022 at 14:38, SilverJacks said:

My guess is that these coins will have a strong demand as the date of the jubilee approaches. Particularly if the whole occasion has a lot of media coverage, which seems likely. I think flippers will do well in the next month, if they actually have them in hand by then.

Maybe prices will drop over time. That said, the 50p brigade will always be interested in them. I think they will do well over time, even if they do dip in the mid term.

The piedfort silver is interesting. I nearly bought one and have some regret in not doing so, much like the crown I passed on. I feel I really should've got some version of it at least. 

The platinum is most intriguing. I assume it's the only platinum 50p that will ever be made and that it will be a big winner.

The concern for me is that there's just too many variations of these coins, which is why I tried to keep my spending down. Although with there being no circulating versions of the 50p, surely the grand total will still be relatively low amongst 50p collectors? Although I wonder how many BU's are produced...

I have a lot of assumptions. Who knows? Not me for sure. Just my thoughts on it...

Who of us knows what coins,bullion,proofsCommeoratives will make us money in the future. Its a lottery...its no different to going to Vegas..placing $1000 on Red and it coming  up Black!......Always BUY what you like....can't do any more !

1 minute ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Who of us knows what coins,bullion,proofsCommeoratives will make us money in the future. Its a lottery...its no different to going to Vegas..placing $1000 on Red and it coming  up Black!......Always BUY what you like....can't do any more !

Well, as I understand it, many people turned down The Una as they were unsure of it. Took days to sell out. A crystal ball would be nice sometimes.

We can all have our thoughts and opinions on where the market will go though, with many more experienced than myself for sure. My guess is these will do well particularly with the jubilee still to come. 

The big event is not until June, so maybe there's plenty of attention still to come? Maybe there's plenty more releases to come and flood the market also? Time will tell.

16 minutes ago, booboobear said:

Time will tell indeed. I think it’s interesting that the half sovereign proof is limited to 2000 but still available widely at dealers. I guess it will never be as popular.

Don't underestimate this coin.....2000 mintage...many people don't rate 1/2 sovs but in this case I believe they are missing something special...and in a few years will wish they had purchased this.....

17 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Don't underestimate this coin.....2000 mintage...many people don't rate 1/2 sovs but in this case I believe they are missing something special...and in a few years will wish they had purchased this.....

I agree and think that it’s rarity will see the price do well potentially. The only issue is there would presumably be a cap on any price increase due to the full sovereign proof.

I can’t see the half ever being worth more than the full. Could you ?

appreciate everyone’s input on this thread, interesting thoughts.