• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Jubilee 50ps opinions

8 minutes ago, booboobear said:

I agree and think that it’s rarity will see the price do well potentially. The only issue is there would presumably be a cap on any price increase due to the full sovereign proof.

I can’t see the half ever being worth more than the full. Could you ?

appreciate everyone’s input on this thread, interesting thoughts.

I think the half sovereigns lower mintage has been a topic of discussion on times in the past. It has to be a positive. We'd obviously rather low mintage so maybe they will be more appreciated one day. It's just that the full sovereign seems like the go-to for collectors... 

Gram for gram, half and full sovereigns don't seem too far apart in their values, generally speaking. 

11 hours ago, booboobear said:

I agree and think that it’s rarity will see the price do well potentially. The only issue is there would presumably be a cap on any price increase due to the full sovereign proof.

I've seen the 1/2 sell for over £100 over issue price...with these coins they will increase in value overtime,just need to hang on to them and of course if spot price goes up so does the premiums 🙂🙂

4 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

I've seen the 1/2 sell for over £100 over issue price...with these coins they will increase in value overtime,just need to hang on to them and of course if spot price goes up so does the premiums 🙂🙂

Chards still have the half sovereign proof listed for £389 I believe.

44 minutes ago, booboobear said:

Chards still have the half sovereign proof listed for £389 I believe.

They will sell eventually....There have been alot of releases recently...and more to come...the SOTD sovereign in Feb,Next gothic crown,Tudor beasts and others I would imagine...I wish I could afford to buy them all but funds only allow me to buy some and that's probably the position for most of us..so it's picking the ones you really like..or if you the money...buy the lot...🙂🙂

On 11/01/2022 at 11:06, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Arrived today...very happy,problem free,such a beautiful design that can't be appreciated fully until in hand. I think this was the only silver release to have the inscription around the edge which makes it special in my eyes.

image.thumb.jpg.7377517dc73fbd45def74cc59f6710df.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The non-piedfort silver fiver should also have the edge inscription I think. I'll find out tomorrow when it arrives!

On 09/01/2022 at 23:37, booboobear said:

It will never be worth more than the full, but it should do pretty well eventually. The problem is the high issue price compared to most of the other special reverses. With the premium at dealers or even the Mint after the initial lot sold out it's already around the price of a 2017 (key year) just to buy. That had a mintage of 1817 iirc and this one is 4200 odd.

The special year halfs were lagging way behind their full size siblings for many a year. Some can still be had at relatively good prices (worth snapping up if you see a deal!) but they're attracting more attention as the full sovereign versions become unaffordable to more and more people, especially if you want to make a set. It's a bi of a special case as it's out on its own and the best performer, being the one to have for now (especially if you were only ever going to have one), but the 1989 has almost doubled in price over the last five years to £550ish I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my gold jubilee 50p being delivered tomorrow. I'll put some pictures up when I have it in hand. Does anyone have theirs yet and if so... What do you think of it and what do you think of it's potential? 

5 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

I am waiting for my double gold proof set... no yea when that will arrive

There was a double gold proof set? I didn't see it. Then again I was blindsided by the fact I got in quick enough to grab something lol. I jumped on what I saw and placed the order quick fast. I got in around 09:30ish and i think they were sold out of everything soon after. 

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I got this a couple of weeks ago. Just the one coin, though. It's the only gold 50p I have and to be honest I have no idea (or interest in!) how well it will "do".

image.thumb.png.84cf4e00235edf70283b2921b19d4729.png

image.thumb.png.06887064f9ebbb27eccc5a343454d75c.png

Thanks for the pictures, those are some of the first in hand ones I've seen. It's the only gold 50p I'll have as well. Do you mean you're not interested in the coin itself or just not interested in how well it'll do?

15 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Thanks for the pictures, those are some of the first in hand ones I've seen. It's the only gold 50p I'll have as well. Do you mean you're not interested in the coin itself or just not interested in how well it'll do?

I would have preferred the platinum one, but that was gone in a flash! Don't get me wrong, I like it; I just have no experience or knowledge with gold 50ps, have no interest in grading it, and have no idea whether it will be worth more or less in the future. So I'm just going to keep it and not think about it for several years :D 

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I would have preferred the platinum one, but that was gone in a flash! Don't get me wrong, I like it; I just have no experience or knowledge with gold 50ps, have no interest in grading it, and have no idea whether it will be worth more or less in the future. So I'm just going to keep it and not think about it for several years :D 

I'm in the same boat as you lol. I have no knowledge of collecting gold 50p's and I'm definitely not going to grade mine. I'm not a fan of that at all. I'm happy to put mine away and sit on it for a long while as well, although like anyone... I am interested in what people think of this particular coins appeal and value. I'll never be in a position to collect all the past ones as there must be hundreds of them now so well out of reach for my shallow pocket lol. This one I'd of thought though would be a key one for any serious collection. 

31 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

I'm in the same boat as you lol. I have no knowledge of collecting gold 50p's and I'm definitely not going to grade mine. I'm not a fan of that at all. I'm happy to put mine away and sit on it for a long while as well, although like anyone... I am interested in what people think of this particular coins appeal and value. I'll never be in a position to collect all the past ones as there must be hundreds of them now so well out of reach for my shallow pocket lol. This one I'd of thought though would be a key one for any serious collection. 

It's probably going to do well. It sold out pretty fast and there was a limited edition of 400 I think.

Meanwhile, the 2021 Insulin and 2021 Babbage gold 50ps that were released last year are still available to order even though they had limits of only 250. Even the 2020 Iguanodon coin (limited edition of 350) and a bunch of others are still available. https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-dinosauria-collection/gold-proof-iguanodon-2020-uk-50p-coin/

Dinosaurs are pretty cool, but it turns out a Platinum Jubilee is even cooler.

15 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

There was a double gold proof set? I didn't see it. Then again I was blindsided by the fact I got in quick enough to grab something lol. I jumped on what I saw and placed the order quick fast. I got in around 09:30ish and i think they were sold out of everything soon after. 

It's a marque exclusive I think? 50 coin mintage, Andrew talked about it in the long 22 annual set thread I think.

16 hours ago, paulmerton said:

It's probably going to do well. It sold out pretty fast and there was a limited edition of 400 I think.

Meanwhile, the 2021 Insulin and 2021 Babbage gold 50ps that were released last year are still available to order even though they had limits of only 250. Even the 2020 Iguanodon coin (limited edition of 350) and a bunch of others are still available. https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-dinosauria-collection/gold-proof-iguanodon-2020-uk-50p-coin/

Dinosaurs are pretty cool, but it turns out a Platinum Jubilee is even cooler.

So I did a little looking about and there are 580 total mintage of the 2022 jubilee gold 50p. The Kew gardens gold 50p has a total mintage of 629 and seems like it's a real winner and very highly sought after. Time will only tell with this one though bit I do expect it to do very well considering its importance.

12 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

So I did a little looking about and there are 580 total mintage of the 2022 jubilee gold 50p. The Kew gardens gold 50p has a total mintage of 629 and seems like it's a real winner and very highly sought after. Time will only tell with this one though bit I do expect it to do very well considering its importance.

I imagine anything with Kew Gardens on it is piggybacking off the rarity of the circulating equivalent. Even a circulated cupronickel Kew 50p is worth a surprising amount. So I'd consider those to be an exception, but of course it's nice if a coin you already have does end up being sought after. While I got this because of the unusual horseback image (not just the event), nobody wants to find out they've bought a duff coin even if they have no intention of selling it.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I imagine anything with Kew Gardens on it is piggybacking off the rarity of the circulating equivalent. Even a circulated cupronickel Kew 50p is worth a surprising amount. So I'd consider those to be an exception. 

I didn't think about that. The Kew gardens circulated 50p only has a mintage of 210k which makes it the rarest of all. The 2022 jubilee 50p will have a starting mintage of 1.3mil which will put it at the 6th rarest if it stops at that but they have a limit of 5,000070 they can mint throughout the year if they want to. Not sure where that puts it on rarity but I think it said it still makes it scarce.