• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold & South Asian People

coinory

Hey guys, I wanted to share an observation, Or something I realised after I got into flipping gold coins etc, That is south Asians as a community and the Importance of gold. 

In countries like India, Pakistan & Bangladesh etc., people don't trust banks or have access to banking ( Govts are pushing people to deposit their funds into banks ), but still, they refuse to do so. 

Reason? People are used to using gold as a form of investment, which has been going for centuries. For example, when south Asian's get married, guess what are the most valuables present newlyweds get? Gold jewellery and that is passed on from one generation to another... 

I  was born in South Asia. Since my childhood, I have seen people using gold as an investment portfolio. And it is mind-boggling. People with no financial education, No market knowledge or access to any resources, Yet are sage investors.

Yes  I'm always in awe when I'm looking at brides wearing more than my net worth in gold 😙

And it does not look like low carat, I'm guessing 750 at least. How close to spot might those pieces be traded? My girlfriend is from SEA and she says gold jewelry is not traded by weight but by perceived thickness 😗 Ah, well...

I am regularly thumping my nose at turkish jewelry shops here.

received_1773059459750671.thumb.jpeg.7c8a7c029e7d023f38dace5574a29a45.jpeg(light version)

Thailand do some lovely 22-23k jewellery at close to spot. Of course the newer the jewellery the higher the premium but because it is mainly sold as an investment / secure cash equivalent it is generally very good value and low premium compared to our Western 18k or lower tat.

If you want some across borders gold then the Thai necklaces and bracelets etc are great to get. Also countries like Laos, Burma and Vietnam.

Get yourselves some sun and buy some discount gold jewellery at the same time 👌 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

One of the reasons why I decided to diversify my investments into physical Gold was because my family already had Indian Gold jewellery and we were already paying for a safety deposit box. Owning gold jewellery is probably one of the worst forms of investments not only because of the significantly higher premiums but if you wanted to liquidate you will only get back scrap metal value. Look at GBP per Oz Baird paying for scrap metal gold price depending on the carat . Screwed at both ends when buying Jewellery in the form of Gold (buying and selling).

https://www.bairdmint.com/live-metals-pricing

image.thumb.png.7d3e6328af6e187f2dd114f1fc1bb8e7.png

1 hour ago, Abyss said:

One of the reasons why I decided to diversify my investments into physical Gold was because my family already had Indian Gold jewellery and we were already paying for a safety deposit box. Owning gold jewellery is probably one of the worst forms of investments not only because of the significantly higher premiums but if you wanted to liquidate you will only get back scrap metal value. Look at GBP per Oz Baird paying for scrap metal gold price depending on the carat . Screwed at both ends when buying Jewellery in the form of Gold (buying and selling).

True but in SE Asia it is so widely used as an alternative to cash savings that the premiums are very low and the margins are squeezed. I posted some prices on another thread ages ago. A search under Thai gold should find it. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

6 hours ago, Abyss said:

This is true, but in some cases when the gold does get sold it is after many years and the returns are decent because of the change in spot price. This is the case for people who were gifted it as a wedding gift, would be wiser to buy coins/bars as an investment now of course

2 hours ago, Bars said:

This is true, but in some cases when the gold does get sold it is after many years and the returns are decent because of the change in spot price. This is the case for people who were gifted it as a wedding gift, would be wiser to buy coins/bars as an investment now of course

This is true usually when people sell jewellery etc it's after decades and in some cases after generations its usually intended as last resort to raise funds...

As I keep saying, people in Asia understands and value gold far more than people in West. 

In some Far Eastern countries, people prefer their gold jewellery in 999 fine gold. In weddings, giving gold as gifts is very common or even expected from close family members.

When a bride is from an affluent family with nice gifts, this could happen.......... 😂

(....at least she doesn't think her gold will become worthless one day !! 🤣)

20220101_083036.jpg

chinese-bride.jpg

Gold bride.jpg

Not Just asians Suckers - I aint getting on no plane!

image.png.cf712f9932f021c9e9d6e320360c14a1.png

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

14 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Is that your current squeeze mate? :)

I wish only got one sov lol! Im balls deep in silver though!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

6 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Best send me pics by the usual channels my good man :)

On the bottom the sea now - on my holy boat!

Gold buying is smart, but sometimes makes holding gold stupid. This news are from 2013

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257209/amp/Wealthy-Indian-Datta-Phuge-spends-14-000-shirt-GOLD-impress-ladies.html

In 2016 someone has beaten him to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/indian-businessman-famed-for-240000-gold-shirt-beaten-to-death

I never was around there, but if you show over here gold, the rats will come out their holes in a minute

download.jpeg.jpg

Edited by dikefalos

9 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

Gold buying is smart, but sometimes makes holding gold stupid. This news are from 2013

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257209/amp/Wealthy-Indian-Datta-Phuge-spends-14-000-shirt-GOLD-impress-ladies.html

In 2016 someone has beaten him to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/indian-businessman-famed-for-240000-gold-shirt-beaten-to-death

I never was around there, but if you show over here gold, the rats will come out their holes in a minute

download.jpeg.jpg

Yes, I remembered reading about this chap with his gold shirt.

Sad to hear he has died.

But was showing his gold that got him beaten to death as you seem to imply.

The article says "police suspected the motive could have been a dispute over a money transaction."

1 hour ago, Happypanda88 said:

Yes, I remembered reading about this chap with his gold shirt.

Sad to hear he has died.

But was showing his gold that got him beaten to death as you seem to imply.

The article says "police suspected the motive could have been a dispute over a money transaction."

Really a sad story. But how you can show off like this in a country with large poverty and hunger. In my part of Berlin you see people die in a dispute over 20€. And here is no hunger. Only greed and crazyness. So the golden rule was always not showing what you got, especially if it comes to gold, silver and cash.

On 31/12/2021 at 03:55, coinory said:

Hey guys, I wanted to share an observation, Or something I realised after I got into flipping gold coins etc, That is south Asians as a community and the Importance of gold. 

In countries like India, Pakistan & Bangladesh etc., people don't trust banks or have access to banking ( Govts are pushing people to deposit their funds into banks ), but still, they refuse to do so. 

Reason? People are used to using gold as a form of investment, which has been going for centuries. For example, when south Asian's get married, guess what are the most valuables present newlyweds get? Gold jewellery and that is passed on from one generation to another... 

I  was born in South Asia. Since my childhood, I have seen people using gold as an investment portfolio. And it is mind-boggling. People with no financial education, No market knowledge or access to any resources, Yet are sage investors.

I so know about this. Unfortunately those very nice family members that gift us gold, give any kind even jewellry sovs. Some time this year i will be converting all my "fake" but real gold sovs & coins to real sovs....

On 01/01/2022 at 12:18, dikefalos said:

Really a sad story. But how you can show off like this in a country with large poverty and hunger. In my part of Berlin you see people die in a dispute over 20€. And here is no hunger. Only greed and crazyness. So the golden rule was always not showing what you got, especially if it comes to gold, silver and cash.

Its mind of a social media inspired trend to show off your wealth by wearing massive gold chains and jewellery.