• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George 6th Crowns

I am in the very early stages of putting together a George 6th silver coinage collection. Not the 1947 onwards stuff though, just the last circulating silver, no real reason for it, just seemed like a good idea that wouldn't be particularly difficult or expensive. That's my sort of project!

Anyway, just wanted to check if there are any crowns other than the 1937 coronation and the 1951 festival (was there silver version?) that I don't know about. 

Also if maybe there are any others from this time that are less well known or obscure that I should look for. 

Many thanks.

Just a thought... is this how it starts? I used to just be happy with shiny new silver, the Brits and Kooks and Libs etc, now I'm looking at George 6th collections. Is this a 'gateway' project? What's next? What will become of me? Can I afford it? Will my relationships suffer? Should I stop while I still can... 

Edited by TheShinyStuff

It should be fairly straightforward and inexpensive to collect all the silver coins from 1937-1946 provided you're not after top grades.

I collected silver shillings, half crowns in my youth. I can't think of any years that are particularly rare or difficult to get hold of in circulated condition. 

The one shillings were my favourites as there are two types - English and Scottish which creates added interest when collecting.

PS. Good luck ! 🤗

Edited by Happypanda88

@TheShinyStuff - you are right, this is  exactly how it starts... 😁

Take the blue pill or the red pill now!

PS - Good luck with your collection of silver crowns.  Obvious next steps are to go back one further Monarch and find a 1935 Silver Jubilee Crown (nice and cheap) and a 1928-1936 Wreath Crown (somewhat less cheap, and with the potential to be ruinously expensive...) 😉

Q Crown 1937.jpg

Q Crown 1935.jpg

Q Crown 1930.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

PS - Good luck with your collection of silver crowns.  Obvious next steps are to go back one further Monarch and find a 1935 Silver Jubilee Crown (nice and cheap) and a 1928-1936 Wreath Crown (somewhat less cheap, and with the potential to be ruinously expensive...) 😉

Lovely collection mate... and you're exactly right! Crown addiction starts with taking your little finger, then takes your entire arm (and wallet....). 😬😅

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 2.20.22 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

38 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Q Crown 1937.jpg

Q Crown 1935.jpg

Q Crown 1930.jpg

Oh well, if its started then I might as well go with it! I already have a few rocking horses - love the design. Will get a Coronation crown soon probably. The wreath crowns however... maybe later!!! Might do the florins first! 

3 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Q Crown 1937.jpg

Q Crown 1935.jpg

Q Crown 1930.jpg

Lovely 1930 Wreath Crown, nice👍

I started much the same way... Somehow switching from SP pounds and Britannias to Crowns. Started working back from George VI and wanted a good example of every monarch back to the Restoration. Back then (around the turn of the century) £100-£125 a coin would get the job done for the earlier monarchs apart from William IV, W & M and the first two Georges.

I sold my George I & George II crowns a while back and - even though i made enough money to buy a car - still regret it to this day (never did get the William IV crown).

It's a rabibt hole.

44 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I started much the same way... Somehow switching from SP pounds and Britannias to Crowns. Started working back from George VI and wanted a good example of every monarch back to the Restoration. Back then (around the turn of the century) £100-£125 a coin would get the job done for the earlier monarchs apart from William IV, W & M and the first two Georges.

I sold my George I & George II crowns a while back and - even though i made enough money to buy a car - still regret it to this day (never did get the William IV crown).

It's a rabibt hole.

The restoration is indeed a pretty deep rabbit hole.

On 30/10/2021 at 10:33, TheShinyStuff said:

I am in the very early stages of putting together a George 6th silver coinage collection. Not the 1947 onwards stuff though, just the last circulating silver, no real reason for it, just seemed like a good idea that wouldn't be particularly difficult or expensive. That's my sort of project!

Anyway, just wanted to check if there are any crowns other than the 1937 coronation and the 1951 festival (was there silver version?) that I don't know about. 

Also if maybe there are any others from this time that are less well known or obscure that I should look for. 

Many thanks.

Just a thought... is this how it starts? I used to just be happy with shiny new silver, the Brits and Kooks and Libs etc, now I'm looking at George 6th collections. Is this a 'gateway' project? What's next? What will become of me? Can I afford it? Will my relationships suffer? Should I stop while I still can... 

I’m teetering on the edge of the same slippery slope, both @Liam84and @Bruce06pointed me in the same direction on an earlier thread of mine….I now can’t get the 1930 Wreath crown out my head now. Blue pill or red pill?

2 minutes ago, Agaumac said:

I’m teetering on the edge of the same slippery slope, both @Liam84and @Bruce06pointed me in the same direction on an earlier thread of mine….I now can’t get the 1930 Wreath crown out my head now. Blue pill or red pill?

Silver pill. Then get a wreath crown. It's on my imminent to do list.

I've slightly altered the plan though and have about half of the .500 half crowns. I like the .500 coins, nice honest lumps, the last of their type, readily available at decent prices (mostly...)

17 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Silver pill. Then get a wreath crown. It's on my imminent to do list.

I've slightly altered the plan though and have about half of the .500 half crowns. I like the .500 coins, nice honest lumps, the last of their type, readily available at decent prices (mostly...)

Silver pill on order from Amazon prime, hope there’s 2 Wreath crowns out there - don’t want to get in a bidding war 😀

There's a very decent 1928 Wreath Crown here and not excessively priced (although not cheap):

https://colincooke.com/coin_pages/crowns.html

They also have a 1932 and 1934 Wreath, but at somewhat different price points - plus some fabulous earlier Crowns including an Oliver Cromwell example.

Or try here (1928 and 1933 Wreaths at cheaper prices but not as nice):

https://www.thecoinking.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?collection=crowns&tab=products&page=2

Or here (decent examples from most Wreath years, including another 1934):

https://saltfordcoins.com/collections/english-crowns?page=2

I have bought coins from all 3 of these dealers in the past, but have no interest in, or affiliation, to any of them.

Good luck to anyone making any decisions!

I’ve also bought from the above dealers and can recommend them all (examples purchased below).

Whatever you do don’t try and save a few quid and get one on eBay from a private seller it’s hard to tell the fakes from the genuine ones now they’re getting so good 😢

D0DF7461-A6D2-418C-ACE4-5CC638E45B0C.jpeg

38A76314-897D-4388-8ED2-650C1D73EDB3.jpeg

9 hours ago, matt1r said:

I’ve also bought from the above dealers and can recommend them all (examples purchased below).

Whatever you do don’t try and save a few quid and get one on eBay from a private seller it’s hard to tell the fakes from the genuine ones now they’re getting so good 😢

D0DF7461-A6D2-418C-ACE4-5CC638E45B0C.jpeg

38A76314-897D-4388-8ED2-650C1D73EDB3.jpeg

Yes, it is hard to tell its authentication from just photos nowadays. 

By the way, you have a decent crown collection....very lovely.

23 hours ago, Stuntman said:

There's a very decent 1928 Wreath Crown here and not excessively priced (although not cheap):

They also have a 1932 and 1934 Wreath, but at somewhat different price points - plus some fabulous earlier Crowns including an Oliver Cromwell example.

https://www.thecoinking.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?collection=crowns&tab=products&page=2

I have bought coins from all 3 of these dealers in the past, but have no interest in, or affiliation, to any of them.

Thanks for the links. My original thought was to pick up birth years of my parents 30 and 33 as a gift for them but was perplexed by the prices at the time. Subsequently members have educated me on the rarity and value of these coins and I have to be honest that now I just want them both for the living history and as memorable keepsakes. I will be selling some generic bullion soon to pay for my new interest and look forward to the shopping experience.

On 06/11/2021 at 22:24, Stuntman said:

Nathan of the Coin King is very nice person.

3 hours ago, Agaumac said:

Thanks for the links. My original thought was to pick up birth years of my parents 30 and 33 as a gift for them but was perplexed by the prices at the time. Subsequently members have educated me on the rarity and value of these coins and I have to be honest that now I just want them both for the living history and as memorable keepsakes. I will be selling some generic bullion soon to pay for my new interest and look forward to the shopping experience.

What a lovely idea.  I don't think you will regret these purchases at all and I hope the two Wreath Crowns will give you and your parents a lot of pleasure when you find them.  I only have the 1930 in my collection but it's one of my very favourite coins.

• 1 month later...

Good people of the forum I am fortunate today that I’ve now sold enough of my Canadian finest to indulge in my new slippery slope of Crowns. My silver pill has been delivered by Amazon prime and I’m set to go but humbly seek some last minute advice before diving into the deep end. My shopping list is simple :-

1930 & 1933 Wreath Crowns, 1935 Jubilee Crown and half Crowns from both years and something from 1966, ideally a sixpence but don’t know if any were minted that year. My question is if it is worthwhile posting here in the wanted section of buy / sell for the wreaths as I know these coins are highly valued and would not normally be traded lightly by owners. Thanks to the link above I see Salford coins have a number for sale in the years I’m interested in but am not too sure about the grading system. Is for example AEF/EF worth £60 more than GVF. Hope someone can help in my new minefield!

13 hours ago, Agaumac said:

Good people of the forum I am fortunate today that I’ve now sold enough of my Canadian finest to indulge in my new slippery slope of Crowns. My silver pill has been delivered by Amazon prime and I’m set to go but humbly seek some last minute advice before diving into the deep end. My shopping list is simple :-

1930 & 1933 Wreath Crowns, 1935 Jubilee Crown and half Crowns from both years and something from 1966, ideally a sixpence but don’t know if any were minted that year. My question is if it is worthwhile posting here in the wanted section of buy / sell for the wreaths as I know these coins are highly valued and would not normally be traded lightly by owners. Thanks to the link above I see Salford coins have a number for sale in the years I’m interested in but am not too sure about the grading system. Is for example AEF/EF worth £60 more than GVF. Hope someone can help in my new minefield!

Welcome to the world of Crown collecting 😃 - you do realise however, that you’re doomed, doomed I tell you.   The Crack- Cocaine of coin collecting 😂 

I would take @matt1r up on the offer- he can root out some lovely old Silver 👍 

6 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Welcome to the world of Crown collecting 😃 - you do realise however, that you’re doomed, doomed I tell you.   The Crack- Cocaine of coin collecting 😂 

I would take @matt1r up on the offer- he can root out some lovely old Silver 👍 

I know, doomed indeed, just like everyone else on this thread. Looking forward to the first hit @matt1r

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Or, to quote Bond... skewered.

One sympathizes.

(On the same boat... 😅 )

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken