• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George 6th Crowns

Regarding your price/grade dilemma, I would offer two pieces of advice:

1. Decide on the minimum level of grade that you would be happy owning such a coin in.  For example, if you would be happy owning an example that had had quite a lot of circulation (say VF or lower) but was still pleasing to your eye, then that's what I mean by minimum level of grade.  But if, say, you'd only be happy with one in say EF or better, that will help you select which coin or coins may be suitable.

2.  Base your decision at least as much on eye appeal as on grade.  For example, I would much rather own a visually pleasing example in VF grade than a less visually pleasing example in EF grade.  What is visually pleasing, of course, is to some extent in the eye of the beholder!

Personally I would look for a 1935 crown in GEF or better, because these are relatively easy to find and relatively inexpensive.  For the Wreaths, I would decide on my minimum acceptable grade first, and then buy on eye appeal.  The good news for you is that both 1930 and 1933 are less sought after than 1934, 1936 and 1932, so the prices even in EF or better are not too scary.   But if you can find a visually pleasing example of each for say £250 I wouldn't be too bothered about seeking out one in higher grade if I was happy with the coin I had found.

Hope it helps - and yes, my 1930 Wreath is not for sale!

On 30/10/2021 at 11:01, matt1r said:

This may help you but yea essentially just the 37 and 51. It won’t be long before you start perusing all of the earlier crowns m, it’s very addictive once you get a couple 😂👍

image.jpg

image.jpg

Which reference book is this please Matt? 

3 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Thanks, looks well set out. Now I have three books on my list to buy 🙄 

If you still haven’t bought the English silver crowns book I wouldn’t worry about that one too much, more of a history lesson than info on specific years etc still very interesting of course.

image.jpg

Edited by matt1r

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Regarding your price/grade dilemma, I would offer two pieces of advice:

1. Decide on the minimum level of grade that you would be happy owning such a coin in.  For example, if you would be happy owning an example that had had quite a lot of circulation (say VF or lower) but was still pleasing to your eye, then that's what I mean by minimum level of grade.  But if, say, you'd only be happy with one in say EF or better, that will help you select which coin or coins may be suitable.

2.  Base your decision at least as much on eye appeal as on grade.  For example, I would much rather own a visually pleasing example in VF grade than a less visually pleasing example in EF grade.  What is visually pleasing, of course, is to some extent in the eye of the beholder!

Personally I would look for a 1935 crown in GEF or better, because these are relatively easy to find and relatively inexpensive.  For the Wreaths, I would decide on my minimum acceptable grade first, and then buy on eye appeal.  The good news for you is that both 1930 and 1933 are less sought after than 1934, 1936 and 1932, so the prices even in EF or better are not too scary.   But if you can find a visually pleasing example of each for say £250 I wouldn't be too bothered about seeking out one in higher grade if I was happy with the coin I had found.

Hope it helps - and yes, my 1930 Wreath is not for sale!

Thanks for the advice. @matt1r has set me on my way with a 1935 crown, my first fix and due next week so we’ll chuffed at that. Eye appeal works for me so will probably buy from one of the three links earlier in the thread. It’s good to be going shopping at last. Many thanks to all who have shown me the way.

5 hours ago, Stuntman said:

@Agaumac - they still minted half crowns in 1966, cupro-nickel of course rather than silver - and it should be easy to find an example in GEF or better for under a tenner.

Sorry, missed this one. Thanks, this is for Mrs Mac. Off to post wanted ad and peruse links you provided earlier 

10 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Very good advice from experienced members above.  For Wreath Crown, please only buy from trusted dealers or members here, as there are way too many fakes in the market.

Thanks Bruce. I have some Florins and half Crowns on their way from the links provided by stuntman and for a novice like myself will stick to these retailers for my venture into the Wreath Crowns. Paying any dealer premium for me is value for money and peace of mind for this price point at this time. Hoping to speak with each of them soon 

• 4 weeks later...

The relief on those sterling crowns is phenomenal, they really are little art pieces. I tend to have middling to low 'grade' examples in hand so when you see an EF/uncirculated example up close it's something of an eye opener.

I'd happily carry a few of those around over a plastic note or a credit card, pocket space be damned. We really have gone backwards going forwards in some regards.

Speaking of top notch....

A gold 1935 Proof NGC PF66 Ultra Cameo just sold a few days ago for about GBP135'000.

2021121017524222135980_w1200h1200.jpg

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

45 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

A gold 1935 Proof NGC PF66 Ultra Cameo just sold a few days ago for about GBP135'000.

Wonder where it was sold?
Which auction?

I just know if I had £135k I would probably not be buying that coin with it. 😂

49 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

That's one of my holy grail coins, I'll probably never see one in person though!

I love how the Royal Mint were doing ballots back in 1935 with extremely low mintage coins and not the scramble they get collectors to do nowadays, they knew how to do things properly back then 😀

That gold proof 1935 is VERY lovely.

There's one in the Royal Mint Experience collection bit at the end, alongside such other rarities as an Edward VII sovereign and a 1933 penny, but it's nowhere near as nice a specimen as that one.

Relevant photos from my visit in Feb 2017:

Crown 1935 Gold.JPG

Sovereign Edward VIII.JPG

Penny 1933.JPG

Seems appropriate to post these photos by way of thanks to all who posted on this thread. It’s taken a while due to some unforeseen setbacks but I’m now well and truly in the rabbit hole and appreciate all the advice and guidance over the last few months. Doomed and skewered you might say.

2C99B24E-5A0A-482E-A95A-8C69E6112959.jpeg

DC7155A8-DFDB-4C23-9E5B-758A6D38946D.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Agaumac said:

Seems appropriate to post these photos by way of thanks to all who posted on this thread. It’s taken a while due to some unforeseen setbacks but I’m now well and truly in the rabbit hole and appreciate all the advice and guidance over the last few months. Doomed and skewered you might say.

2C99B24E-5A0A-482E-A95A-8C69E6112959.jpeg

DC7155A8-DFDB-4C23-9E5B-758A6D38946D.jpeg

That is a dynamite crown mind, worth the doom possibly? 😁

Are you grading this or leaving it in its birthday suit?