• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George 6th Crowns

14 minutes ago, Agaumac said:

To grade or not to grade is a question I hadn’t even thought about Liam to be honest. I kinda like the in hand experience but would welcome any opinions from the more knowledgeable members here. Either way love the purchase and now just need the 1933.

Personal choice on the grading- and merits in both.  I have a few older Crowns and other denominations  in slabs which I have bought pre slabbed- but I prefer them raw in my old school cabinet.

I did however, recently purchase a Proof 1935 Crown that I have consigned to NGC to be graded- proofs aren’t as forgiving in terms of them being handled!

BB389BAC-E8EA-4064-B9CA-A7AEC5F093BF.thumb.jpeg.d94573ed9a4fc757c15bd998147acd60.jpeg

DF6B103C-D36F-4D9B-ABCB-57B858258841.thumb.jpeg.681bb99893dd33ad8f0d1d06d4d7cad4.jpegF37C19FE-5D3D-4E92-B551-40C5E3307C92.thumb.jpeg.c721b511544474ffb316e94fc2d9215a.jpeg39A52ABB-6DCA-4C6F-8D24-A289A28D74E0.thumb.jpeg.fa394381b66963d01def6e420d92a6e1.jpeg15D3CF68-34DF-4D64-BB33-8F3000FC1520.thumb.jpeg.e98fa2f7fb8a38f5d10a9b4c5f7bc644.jpeg

1 minute ago, richatthecroft said:

but I prefer them raw in my old school cabinet.

That cabinet is pretty cool.

As for whether to grade or not...if it graded extremely well then it's market value would increase if there are buyers about come time to sell. But if it's a keeper then it's your preference as to how you like to view/handle your coins, as it will be you doing the viewing 😁

3 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

I bought mine second hand- but the Cabinets can be still bought and made to order- this is my model- if you buy from them, you can specify what diameter inserts the trays have.

http://www.coincabinets.com/pheon.html

2 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

As for whether to grade or not...if it graded extremely well then it's market value would increase if there are buyers about come time to sell. But if it's a keeper then it's your preference as to how you like to view/handle your coins, as it will be you doing the viewing 😁

The dealer described it as Unc from memory but I just liked the look of it and it was a year I wanted and would like to think of it as a definite keeper. From the photos would you think it’d be worth the cost of grading? 

1 minute ago, Agaumac said:

The dealer described it as Unc from memory but I just liked the look of it and it was a year I wanted and would like to think of it as a definite keeper. From the photos would you think it’d be worth the cost of grading? 

It looks fabulous 👍 

7 minutes ago, Agaumac said:

I would seek advice from those experienced in what a grading company will look for, but to my eye it looks to have fantastic detail.

That 1930 Wreath is a very nice coin but it's definitely not UNC.  There is quite a lot of wear to the inside centres of the roses, which is the first place that the graders will look.

I would leave it as a raw coin if it was mine.

Anyway - well done @Agaumac.   It's a cracking coin and a lovely piece of history.

3 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

That 1930 Wreath is a very nice coin but it's definitely not UNC.  There is quite a lot of wear to the inside centres of the roses, which is the first place that the graders will look.

Anyway - well done @Agaumac.   It's a cracking coin and a lovely piece of history.

Thank you for your assessment, the grade / no grade question has, for me, been answered. I’m kinda happy with that and just love that in hand experience and think father will too….just don’t tell him the price though as he’d probably flip his lid🤣

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I would agree. IMO the obverse is gVF and the reverse VF

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, Agaumac said:

Thank you for your assessment, the grade / no grade question has, for me, been answered. I’m kinda happy with that and just love that in hand experience and think father will too….just don’t tell him the price though as he’d probably flip his lid🤣

Well done👍, secured some lovely things for someone beloved is always nice.  Same as you, I won't do the slab unless I think I will resell it, coz i like it to be "closer" to me when appreciating it.

7 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I would agree. IMO the obverse is gVF and the reverse VF

Thanks Steve appreciate your grading assessment. I had to zoom in on the photo to notice the deformities to the rose core mentioned earlier and am in awe at the subtleties that trained eyes can pick up. Every day is a learning day and I may scrutinise the photos more carefully when purchasing the 1933 I have planned. Still happy with my purchase and I had no problem selling some generic bullion to pay for it.