• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

HMRC Trawling for Sellers using Social Media

45 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

Really.. I never knew that... must be my Eton education then ... 🙂

Eton has somewhat gone to the dogs with the new headmaster.  All very woke and not a patch on the likes of Eric Anderson. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

41 minutes ago, dicker said:

Eton has somewhat gone to the dogs with the new headmaster.  All very woke and not a patch on the likes of Eric Anderson. 

Is shagging pigs skulls frowned upon these days then?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not if your in the Bullingdon club!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think you will find that this is an Oxford society tradition.  

Whilst gentlemen at Eton may eat swan,  they definitely steer clear of porcine activities. 

🐖

1 hour ago, dicker said:

I think you will find that this is an Oxford society tradition.  

Whilst gentlemen at Eton may eat swan,  they definitely steer clear of porcine activities. 

🐖

Jolly good show then and l I’m sure the old chaps at Eton will have a far superior moral compass , if that indeed is not a contradiction in terms? 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jolly good show then and l I’m sure the old chaps at Eton will have a far superior moral compass , if that indeed is not a contradiction in terms? 

Naturally.  

15 hours ago, Rll1288 said:

2018/2019 Revenue UK received from Scotland in Taxes and North Sea Oil revenues £66bio. Scotland received £81bio in public spending in same period

I recall fiscal year 2019/20 the UK deficit was about £11.5bn. The calculated Scottish deficit was £11bn.  

It's going to be a very tricky budget to balance when the Scottish Nationalist Party have their way.  Especially now they are promising to go green, so all that oil will stay where it is. 

Edited by Martlet

On 21/10/2021 at 04:14, Rll1288 said:

I didn't know the UK monarchy owed 1/3 of the World

The Saxe-Coburg and Gotha House (UK Monarchy) claims ownership through "the Crown" (legal form) which infers Sovereignty over the United Kingdom (3 countries and 1 territory), Commonwealth realm (15 nations), Overseas Territories (14 territories) and 3 Dependencies (Crown Dependencies) - This comes into a total of 3 million square miles according to the Ministry of Defence.

Our Earth is estimated to have 57,308,738 square miles, if you account the 3 million square miles "the Crown" claims that is 5.26% of Earth (which also doesnt take into account the portfolio of the Crown Estate).

"The Crown" is probably the most wealthiest individuals on the planet by personal capacity. There is no justification for "the Crown" to function. It violates the epistemological position of humanity and the consequences of socioeconomic conditions.

Theres nothing more pleasurable than witnessing "Brits", who are philosophically committed to "the Crown", complain about paying taxes, its absolutely tremendous.

On 29/10/2021 at 00:35, Minimalist said:

The Saxe-Coburg and Gotha House (UK Monarchy) claims ownership through "the Crown" (legal form) which infers Sovereignty over the United Kingdom (3 countries and 1 territory), Commonwealth realm (15 nations), Overseas Territories (14 territories) and 3 Dependencies (Crown Dependencies) - This comes into a total of 3 million square miles according to the Ministry of Defence.

Our Earth is estimated to have 57,308,738 square miles, if you account the 3 million square miles "the Crown" claims that is 5.26% of Earth (which also doesnt take into account the portfolio of the Crown Estate).

"The Crown" is probably the most wealthiest individuals on the planet by personal capacity. There is no justification for "the Crown" to function. It violates the epistemological position of humanity and the consequences of socioeconomic conditions.

Theres nothing more pleasurable than witnessing "Brits", who are philosophically committed to "the Crown", complain about paying taxes, its absolutely tremendous.

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/resources/faq

The Crown Estate belongs to the reigning monarch 'in right of The Crown', that is, it is owned by the monarch for the duration of their reign, by virtue of their accession to the throne. But it is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.

The Monarchy in this country is a "Constitutional" one and therefore power resides with Parliament 

2 minutes ago, Rll1288 said:

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/resources/faq

The Crown Estate belongs to the reigning monarch 'in right of The Crown', that is, it is owned by the monarch for the duration of their reign, by virtue of their accession to the throne. But it is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.

The Monarchy in this country is a "Constitutional" one and therefore power resides with Parliament 

Oh dont tell @Minimalist that I think he's sick of being ruled by london already lol

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 21/10/2021 at 09:15, BackyardBullion said:

I have posted at length about this kind of activity. 

Google HMRC Badges of trade and if you start to see many of those badges applying (or could HMRC argue the case that they apply) then there is a chance you might get stung by HMRC for trading. 

Its a fine line - but as this thread indicates, HMRC will scour various social media platforms and online market places. 

That also includes this site. I would be very very surprised if the powers that be are not watching this site and some of the sellers here. 

This whole subject I am curious about.

I have about 50 something feedback on ebay and maybe 10 or so are for coins, going back a fair few years.

In theory, if you sold a coin and made 5k "profit" for example, I would assume CGT wouldn't be applicable.

The badges of trade seem a bit subjective, especially if you bought and sold a coin in a short period.

I am the type of person who likes to know where they stand, but in the case where I made a large "profit" I would be reluctant to stump up the tax (as per my tax rate) or leave it waiting for potentially HMRC to come knocking.

Is there a way to deal with this one way or another (I suspect asking HMRC wouldn't be wise)?

Edit, what's also interesting, grading coins to sell them might not be wise either. 

Edited by NewCoins

12 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

This whole subject I am curious about.

I have about 50 something feedback on ebay and maybe 10 or so are for coins, going back a fair few years.

In theory, if you sold a coin and made 5k "profit" for example, I would assume CGT wouldn't be applicable.

The badges of trade seem a bit subjective, especially if you bought and sold a coin in a short period.

I am the type of person who likes to know where they stand, but in the case where I made a large "profit" I would be reluctant to stump up the tax (as per my tax rate) or leave it waiting for potentially HMRC to come knocking.

Is there a way to deal with this one way or another (I suspect asking HMRC wouldn't be wise)?

Edit, what's also interesting, grading coins to sell them might not be wise either. 

Its simple dont buy and sell coins that imply GCT

12 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Its simple dont buy and sell coins that imply GCT

CGT isn't applicable right ?

I don't think anyone should be afraid to buy and sell anything and pay tax if appropriate.

In fact the badges of trade don't seem to be there not just to collect tax where due, but to paint a subjective picture of when you don't need to.

I don't think not doing stuff to avoid the questions of tax is an approach anyone should take for anything (cars, paintings etc etc)

By the way I don't  think I own anything that would concern me in this respect. But investing is legitimate.

People should be aware of the rules and how it might impact them. 

Edited by NewCoins

An example, if I owned an original una that has recently sold for 889,000. If that had been handed down for generations and I decided to sell it. 

I don't think its classed as legal tender (?) so perhaps CGT would we applicable but it wouldn't be classed as trading. Its a gift for example

If it were a coin from years ago i.e. Crown or shilling then it wouldn't (not 100% sure) be legal tender as its no longer used as day to day ccy... i.e. replaced in 1971 by decimal coins. If it were a 2017 coin worth £889k and has a value of £1.00 say then its still legal tender so no CGT

Edited by Rll1288