• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Hello All, 

I am new to this forum. 

I had an offer yesterday on a Gold 2 oz Gothic Crown Portrsit from RM. 

"Gothic Crown Portrait 2021 UK 2oz Fine Gold Proof special edition plain edge coin - £5355  

Limited Edition only 125" 

I am in two minds whether to get it as it is very costly. I do like the coin having the longest and second longest monarch who reigned. This might be the last expensive purchase of gold proof as I am not a fan of King Charles III's effigy. I do have an autistic trait not coping with changes. 

Would it be a good decision if i bought the coin to add to my collection and investment? I have some concern with the quality control with RM. This coin has to be 'perfect' if i bought it. 

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Hanz said:

Hello All, 

I am new to this forum. 

"Gothic Crown Portrait 2021 UK 2oz Fine Gold Proof special edition plain edge coin - £5355  

I am in two minds whether to get it as it is very costly. I do like the coin having the longest and second longest monarch who reigned. This might be the last expensive purchase of gold proof as I am not a fan of King Charles III's effigy. I do have an autistic trait not coping with changes. 

Would it be a good decision if i bought the coin to add to my collection and investment? I have some concern with the quality control with RM. This coin has to be 'perfect' if i bought it. 

All I can say is that the price seems very close to the issue price, from what I can remember based on some posts on this forum.

It isn’t clear if you are saying the RM has offered this coin to you, or someone else has offered this RM coin to you. If direct from RM, you can probably take a look and return it if there are obvious issues with it (it could be a returned coin already?)

In the end, from an investment perspective, it’s anyone’s guess how this coin will do in the future.

This might give some idea of current and recent values: https://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?search=Gothic+crown&s=0&upcoming=0&results=100

Personally, if I had £5,000 to spare, I’d probably have taken this opportunity to get myself one just because I like the design in silver; and gold would be cherry on the top.

Edited by westminstrel

24 minutes ago, Hanz said:

Hello All, 

I am new to this forum. 

RRP from the Royal Mint Direct was £5,250 i paid for the 2oz gold plain edge

Whilst they started out well and some selling into the low five figures initially, they seem to be off the boil now with popularity recently

However is it an iconic design, has much history behind as one of the most beautiful coins ever minted, QEII has now passed away, it has a super low mintage, it was sold direct to mint marque members so folks seriously into their collecting and never available direct to general public, once the flippers have flipped and are gone and these remain in strong hands supply vs demand may change with time, the GBP £ is now in the tank so stuff priced in sterling could be in demand and bid up now

If you are planning to sit on it for five to ten years plus, i doubt you would have any downside in price 

Edited by Paul

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

What am I missing? 😅

@Darr3nG- You may tell me since you’re loling too. 😬

@Paul does like the gothics, but can't possibly fit more than "50%" of total mintage into his place in Switzerland!!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, Paul said:

nothing just joking on - yeah, im involved with them as ive got a bit of a vested interest in following how the market is doing 

And I’m loving this chain and keeping track of new information and following the journey of the previous coins. 😎

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I liked the bird! :D 

I bet you did. 😇

5 minutes ago, Hanz said:

Thank you Westminstrel, Paul and everyone for enlightening information on Gothic Crowns. I will look for the £££ tobuy coin from Royalmint if i am not too late already. 

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots?search=gothic+portrait+200+pounds

Past 2oz gold Portrait sales since release from CoinCabinet auction house 

• 1 month later...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/elizabeth-ii-gold-proof-una-and-the-lion-200-pounds-2-oz-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/p/3105-55001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I saw there has been a 2oz gold Una & Lion in PF70 included in Heritages annual Januarys Platinum sale

Usual the sale of the year for the big hitters to be out and where the silver 2oz first made the market come alive and pumps the value skyward when it broke $10,000+ 

Will track to see what the market feels it is current worth is 

@Frenchie

Edited by Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Bump !

The next release will due "soon" in 2023 

• Una & Lion release Nov 2019
  • Three Graces release Feb 2021
  • Gothic Crown release Dec 2021 & Feb 22

Anyone heard any news or updates from RM account manager?

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Bump !

The next release will due "soon" in 2023 

• Una & Lion release Nov 2019
  • Three Graces release Feb 2021
  • Gothic Crown release Dec 2021 & Feb 22

Anyone heard any news or updates from RM account manager?

Let's just say the design has been already mentioned several times in this thread... 😉

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 28/11/2022 at 09:36, Paul said:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/elizabeth-ii-gold-proof-una-and-the-lion-200-pounds-2-oz-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/p/3105-55001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I saw there has been a 2oz gold Una & Lion in PF70 included in Heritages annual Januarys Platinum sale

Usual the sale of the year for the big hitters to be out and where the silver 2oz first made the market come alive and pumps the value skyward when it broke $10,000+ 

Will track to see what the market feels it is current worth is 

@Frenchie

Currently sitting at $21,000 + BP ($25,200 == GBP20,800). Off to a brisk start, IMO - 19 days to go. 👍

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken