• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion by post

Dan12345

42 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That is interesting. On Vice.com, and elsewhere the founder of BbP is quoted as saying:

"Halliday-Stein is a British billionaire and entrepreneur who fell into the gold trading business back in 2008 when he was looking to buy a "modest amount" of the shiny stuff himself. It was at the height of the financial crisis, and Halliday-Stein—who was keeping an eye on emerging business models—was on the lookout for a new opportunity. While surfing the net for gold and silver, he soon became disillusioned by the subpar websites and customer services he encountered."

... and similar.

We don't seem to have come a long way!

🙂

To be fair the BBP website is one of the best out there in my opinion.  Many are quirky in some way.  (sorry). 

11 minutes ago, Martlet said:

To be fair the BBP website is one of the best out there in my opinion.  Many are quirky in some way.  (sorry). 

It is technically very good, and that probably follows on from the RHS Asda onine experience, however I have previously noted numerous errors which I presume were created through lack of expert knowledge of the subject, in relation to numismatic coins mainly.

Which are the quirky sites you are thinking of?, and if any are mine / ours, I would be interested in knowing what makes you think of them as quirky.

Chards

8 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Also if they don't have any best value sovs in stock they just give you new ones. 

Are they still doing that?

I know that years ago, they were doing so, but have not taken much notice in the past few years.

I guess you are a BbP fan.

Chards

16 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Which are the quirky sites you are thinking of?, and if any are mine / ours, I would be interested in knowing what makes you think of them as quirky.

The main one on Chards is forgetting filters when you go back.  There's been a few others over the years, but either fixed or i dont notice anymore.  Its a good one really.  

Other sites have some issues with mouse over, while others cant align text or assume you will have full/wide window. 

20 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I know that years ago, they were doing so, but have not taken much notice in the past few years.

I guess you are a BbP fan.

Yes bought 3 on the last dip. I was sent one 1914 and two 2021. Like I said before, I have never had a problem with them. When I did some (light) research on them, I just assumed they offered a service to the Birmingham jewelry quarter as they were set up right in the middle of it. Yes they charge a extra £5 but with me they have always been consistent and have plenty of stock. Personally I buy the best value so it may not be for everyone. The only other place I have bought sovs from is my local coin shop (so nothing personal to chards) so I don't have much experience to compare with other dealers. I am not someone who chooses the first on the Google and I am someone that would be hooked in by the offer we are not supposed to talk about. I am just a low budget stacker that's trying to maximize my assets.

37 minutes ago, Martlet said:

The main one on Chards is forgetting filters when you go back.  There's been a few others over the years, but either fixed or i dont notice anymore.  Its a good one really.  

Other sites have some issues with mouse over, while others cant align text or assume you will have full/wide window. 

Thanks for the feedback.

We have had to metamorphose from a numismatic and bullion dealer into a tech / internet business, and it has been a long, expensive process, still ongoing...

I am tagging @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, and expect some of the team will look at and fix your point about the filters.

I am not convinced our search is as good as it should be, although better than it used to be.

It may be one of the next big stages in the project.

🙂

Chards

49 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Yes bought 3 on the last dip. I was sent one 1914 and two 2021. Like I said before, I have never had a problem with them. When I did some (light) research on them, I just assumed they offered a service to the Birmingham jewelry quarter as they were set up right in the middle of it. Yes they charge a extra £5 but with me they have always been consistent and have plenty of stock. Personally I buy the best value so it may not be for everyone. The only other place I have bought sovs from is my local coin shop (so nothing personal to chards) so I don't have much experience to compare with other dealers. I am not someone who chooses the first on the Google and I am someone that would be hooked in by the offer we are not supposed to talk about. I am just a low budget stacker that's trying to maximize my assets.

Hopefully, we will convert you eventually. 🙂

Chards

54 minutes ago, Martlet said:

You can kind of get around this by right click and open chosen listing in new tab, keeps filtered search tab intact

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes I have tested this on small bars. Best value is the cheapest of whatever they have in stock of that category so you can work out what you'll get in my couple of experiences. As they usually have 2nd hand, best value and then manufacturer listings. 

Seems a lot of work but presumably they get a few extra % off those who won't buy "best value"

Just read the thread ongoing herewith the investment  of making in the difference in the front of house, website user interface (UI). If you have a decent product owner - things can be done. Agility can be done in tech regardless how simple or complex it maybe, one thing ive learned is getting feedback and working with people who can make that difference.  Also you dont need the website to be live, its about testing it first. @LawrenceChard if you want a chat let me know :)

Best Bully 🐮

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

17 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Just read the thread ongoing herewith the investment  of making in the difference in the front of house, website user interface (UI). If you have a decent product owner - things can be done. Agility can be done in tech regardless how simple or complex it maybe, one thing ive learned is getting feedback and working with people who can make that difference.  Also you dont need the website to be live, its about testing it first. @LawrenceChard if you want a chat let me know :)

Best Bully 🐮

Thanks,

Will do, although we do have about 4 people working on it already!

Chards

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

We have had to metamorphose from a numismatic and bullion dealer into a tech / internet business, and it has been a long, expensive process, still ongoing..

🙂

A very honest comment.  

Many businesses don’t spot that they are not what they think they are / were and struggle or fold as a result.  

It surprises me how many companies miss this.

Innovate or die.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 09/09/2021 at 21:27, LawrenceChard said:

It is technically very good, and that probably follows on from the RHS Asda onine experience, however I have previously noted numerous errors which I presume were created through lack of expert knowledge of the subject, in relation to numismatic coins mainly.

Feedback on the chards site as requested. personally i find it the most akward for this reason 

You click on in stock bullion through the filters you are presented with the in stock coins, click on a coin, but then click back you lose all. Filters making navigating the site very time consuming and frustrating 

8 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Feedback on the chards site as requested. personally i find it the most akward for this reason 

You click on in stock bullion through the filters you are presented with the in stock coins, click on a coin, but then click back you lose all. Filters making navigating the site very time consuming and frustrating 

The filters should help so the user can control what he sees, but they probably need to be "sticky". We are or will be working on that, thanks!

@ChardsCoinandBullionDealer

Chards

On 10/09/2021 at 00:31, HerefordBullyun said:

Best Bully 🐮

20 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks,

18 hours ago, dicker said:

A very honest comment.  

Many businesses don’t spot that they are not what they think they are / were and struggle or fold as a result.  

It surprises me how many companies miss this.

Innovate or die.

Best

Dicker

17 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

Search v. Directory Structure

We took the decidion to make our new "Chards" website with navigation based on "search", like Amazon or Scan.

One of the main drivers for this was tht most users were then using their mobile phones and expected to be able to "search" rather than use a directory / navigation structure.

Amazon's website is technically excellent, although it should be as I guess they spent may millions on it, possibly billions, so we were realistic, and knew that our site was unlikely ever to be that good.

Scan's site is rather ugly, but works very well for techies.

The world leader for search is undoubtedly Google, althouth alta Vista in its day was also excellent, as were a number of other search engines.

Yahoo was once the market leader for website listings, but was rigidly built on a directory structure, and it failed to implement its own search facility, prefering to subcontract its search to Inktomi or others. 

Our old sites had a navigation structure built into them, but until their last few years of development, they had no search facility built into them. Even when we did add search facilities, these were never great.

Typically, our sites had "Index" pages for headings such as Coins for Sale, Information, Advice, Opinion, News, Dates (Years), Countries, Alphabetical, Wanted, Other Products, About Us, Legal, Sitemap...

Many pages also had "Related" links, so for example, a page offering "1915 Gold Sovereigns", would have links to:

1915 Index

1915 Half Sovereigns

1914 Gold Sovereigns

1916 Gold Sovereigns

George V Gold Sovereigns

1915 Coin Sets

Mints and Mintmarks

in addition to all the main generic navigation and index pages.

Mostly, this worked well, although we did get some people who said our sites were difficult to navigate.

Although our new site does have drop-down categories, these are now search based, and I still think our new site would work better if it also contained an old-fashioned directory structure with relevant cross-links. One problem with this, is that it would occupy more space, which is increasingly at a premium because it needs to be optimised towards mobile users.

Our site is designed to work with multiples operating systems, browsers, and screen sizes, but a navigation structure would only work optimally on larger screens.

I am happy to invite any comments and feedback on the above.

One extra thought: We have have also bulit security into our site, and it is regularly penetration tested formally, and multiple times daily on an informal basis.

I wonder how many of our competitors websites have similar levels of security, or are ever tested (except by hackers)?

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Search v. Directory Structure

We took the decidion to make our new "Chards" website with navigation based on "search", like Amazon or Scan.

One of the main drivers for this was tht most users were then using their mobile phones and expected to be able to "search" rather than use a directory / navigation structure.

Amazon's website is technically excellent, although it should be as I guess they spent may millions on it, possibly billions, so we were realistic, and knew that our site was unlikely ever to be that good.

Scan's site is rather ugly, but works very well for techies.

The world leader for search is undoubtedly Google, althouth alta Vista in its day was also excellent, as were a number of other search engines.

Yahoo was once the market leader for website listings, but was rigidly built on a directory structure, and it failed to implement its own search facility, prefering to subcontract its search to Inktomi or others. 

Our old sites had a navigation structure built into them, but until their last few years of development, they had no search facility built into them. Even when we did add search facilities, these were never great.

Typically, our sites had "Index" pages for headings such as Coins for Sale, Information, Advice, Opinion, News, Dates (Years), Countries, Alphabetical, Wanted, Other Products, About Us, Legal, Sitemap...

Many pages also had "Related" links, so for example, a page offering "1915 Gold Sovereigns", would have links to:

1915 Index

1915 Half Sovereigns

1914 Gold Sovereigns

1916 Gold Sovereigns

George V Gold Sovereigns

1915 Coin Sets

Mints and Mintmarks

in addition to all the main generic navigation and index pages.

Mostly, this worked well, although we did get some people who said our sites were difficult to navigate.

Although our new site does have drop-down categories, these are now search based, and I still think our new site would work better if it also contained an old-fashioned directory structure with relevant cross-links. One problem with this, is that it would occupy more space, which is increasingly at a premium because it needs to be optimised towards mobile users.

Our site is designed to work with multiples operating systems, browsers, and screen sizes, but a navigation structure would only work optimally on larger screens.

I am happy to invite any comments and feedback on the above.

One extra thought: We have have also bulit security into our site, and it is regularly penetration tested formally, and multiple times daily on an informal basis.

I wonder how many of our competitors websites have similar levels of security, or are ever tested (except by hackers)?

You will find a lot more retail websites have regular pen testing going on nowadays. Good job to you and your team.

It maybe worthwhile sharing your test version of the website to trusted people who you know so they can give you that customer experience feed back, maybe some food for thought.

The problem is as you know you cant please everyone, the british public are very fickle!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 10/09/2021 at 18:19, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks,

That many may do more harm than good; one really good one who can examine how it was built and what can realistically be done with the existing backend has always been my preferred route. Just IMO.

21 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

I have zero problems with this aspect after it happened the first time, since then I just right click on item/s of interest and open it in a new tab.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

8 minutes ago, Coverte said:

That many may do more harm than good; one really good one who can examine how it was built and what can realistically be done with the existing backend has always been my preferred route. Just IMO.

I have zero problems with this aspect after it happened the first time, since then I just right click on item/s of interest and open it in a new tab.

Try right clicking on a phone 

26 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Fair comment chap, but I don't use the web much on my phone, unless I think of something urgent and a laptop or comp is not nearby.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

On 09/09/2021 at 22:54, SilverJacks said:

You can kind of get around this by right click and open chosen listing in new tab, keeps filtered search tab intact

52 minutes ago, Coverte said:

43 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

14 minutes ago, Coverte said:

Fair comment chap, but I don't use the web much on my phone, unless I think of something urgent and a laptop or comp is not nearby.

You are all quite right, but it is amazing how few people seem to know about right click / new tab, or actually use it, and...

it would be better design if our site did not necesssitate it, and...

of course it would be more mobile friendly.

Chards

58 minutes ago, Skyfiller said:

I think your site is really user friendly @LawrenceChard . Ordered 3 sovereigns off of it this week and had no problem finding them or checking out. It was my second visit to your site so didn’t know the layout in advance. 👍

Thank you very much for that.

I will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to share your comments.

I hope you got the coins, and they are OK.

Chards

On 08/09/2021 at 18:18, Dan12345 said:

Hi 

Has anyone used bullion by post to purchase gold coins, was thinking of making a purchase from them but just wanted to check first.

Yes mate, have used BBP a few times to purchase gold.

Not the cheapest but have never let me down so its on the list of websites I check before pulling the trigger. 

Good luck with your purchase!