• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Owning Nazi gold and silver

Just out of curiosity really, is it a bit of a taboo subject in the world of coin collecting to own/collect nazi gold or silver? Quite new to this and just notice sellers selling nazi metals. Wasn’t sure how people felt about it due to the history etc. 

Would be great to hear everyones thoughts on the subject. 

It's a coin not hitlers pubes

Remeber the atrocities the UK  have caused dating back 100 of years murder, slaughter, taking over countries no one objects to the queen's coins 

USA native Americans? 

History should never be forgotten its what makes us grow but at the end of a day its a coin 

41 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Remeber the atrocities the UK  have caused dating back 100 of years murder, slaughter, taking over countries no one objects to the queen's coins 

USA native Americans? 

History should never be forgotten its what makes us grow but at the end of a day its a coin 

My first thoughts were similar, well except that I wasn't thinking about Hitlers pubes. 
Is there any country that hasn't fought or invaded or caused harm to people? 
If anyone wants to get rid of any bits of metal or paper with the queens head on it then drop me a message ;) 

Is there even any gold coin connected with that historical period? I am aware only of silver coins.

Regarding owning them - I think it really depends on your motivation. If you are only stacking silver, then I guess you do not really care what object is made of it. Main thing it's silver and even better if under spot, no? I think this is how some posters above see this.

Now, if you're a collector, you probably have certain areas of interest - you can't collect everything. So does this collecting area fall under your interests? If yes, e.g. because you collect coins of Germany, or coins from that period of time in general, then it is only natural that they belong to your collection as historical artifacts. Or maybe they have aesthetic appeal to someone.

Personally, I have no collecting interest in those coins, but I can understand if other collectors do. But of course I speak about numismatic collectors only, not about someone with inclination to the ideology behind those coins as such. And unfortunately, many times the latter can just pretend to be the former, so collecting such material can raise some eyebrows...

Edited by CollectForFun

1 hour ago, Leonmarsh said:

USA native Americans? 

I once heard that Hitler vajazzled.... 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Isis (Islamic State) made some gold coins but they were or still are illegal to own. That's a part of history more recent than the Nazi era and will probably one day be collectible as well. I've a few Nazi coins but that's just the collector curiosity in me.

21 minutes ago, MickB said:

Isis (Islamic State) made some gold coins but they were or still are illegal to own. That's a part of history more recent than the Nazi era and will probably one day be collectible as well. I've a few Nazi coins but that's just the collector curiosity in me.

Interesting, didn't even know this was a thing.

There was a thread about this topic maybe a couple of years ago. Some people get hot under the collar. Personally i have something of a morbid curiosity for such things. i am sure i have some.

If you are interested in these coins for whatever reason, i would collect them. Why not? No reason at all. The more some people get hot under the collar the more i would collect them. 

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I was working for a German investment bank in 1998 / 1999 when they 'fessed up to finding large number of gold bars that were Nazi in origin.  I cant remember if it was EUR60M or EUR200M in value but it was a lot for the bank to have 'found' after all those years.

The same bank regularly published 'from the archive', but curiously the archives from 1939 - 1945 were never explored or published.

I attach an article from the Bank of England internal magazine from 1997.  Worth a read.

Best

DickerOld Lady article on Nazi Gold.pdf

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

I was working for a German investment bank in 1998 / 1999 when they 'fessed up to finding large number of gold bars that were Nazi in origin.  I cant remember if it was EUR60M or EUR200M in value but it was a lot for the bank to have 'found' after all those years.

The same bank regularly published 'from the archive', but curiously the archives from 1939 - 1945 were never explored or published.

I attach an article from the Bank of England internal magazine from 1997.  Worth a read.

Best

DickerOld Lady article on Nazi Gold.pdf

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.