• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

What years did you get do you know?

I was really pleased to get a couple of 1840's, no idea if they're any more valuable than later years, but just seems cool the older they are  B)  I did look at mintages at 48/49 were low years, again no idea if that makes too much difference. 

There are two types of '48 one is much rarer than the other.

Only one type of '49 which is same type as the more common '48

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

There are two types of '48 one is much rarer than the other.

Only one type of '49 which is same type as the more common '48

I think it was 48, but I may be wrong 

Just looking on the chards website, it's the different heads that dictate value? 

They look quite similar on the chards website, hopefully in hand I can compare to another sovereign I have to tell the difference. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I think it was 48, but I may be wrong 

Just looking on the chards website, it's the different heads that dictate value? 

They look quite similar on the chards website, hopefully in hand I can compare to another sovereign I have to tell the difference. 

Yes, first (small) head and second (large) head.

Easy to tell apart if you see them both together but not so easy otherwise.

Quite important to tell these apart with the '48 as difference in price at VF grade is £2k as opposed to £400 or £6k and £900 in EF grade.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

For someone who on the 1st of July said to himself I'm not going to buy anything this month...................................

I have currently bought in the last 11 days, some more coin weights, a 1998 Britannia Proof set, a 2015 Britannia Proof set, 3 x 2015 1oz Proof Brits, a 2002 Kangaroo Proof,  a 2oz Bicentennial Silver medallion, and about 7 letterboxes and light switches in various property in the south east.

Oh and a 2 oz Lunar mouse proof.

.......so much for discipline .. :rolleyes:

For someone who on the 1st of July said to himself I'm not going to buy anything this month...................................

I have currently bought in the last 11 days, some more coin weights, a 1998 Britannia Proof set, a 2015 Britannia Proof set, 3 x 2015 1oz Proof Brits, a 2002 Kangaroo Proof,  a 2oz Bicentennial Silver medallion, and about 7 letterboxes and light switches in various property in the south east.

Oh and a 2 oz Lunar mouse proof.

.......so much for discipline .. :rolleyes:

Are you having the mouse graded? I'd be interested to see how it grades

Nah no grading for me. Sorry to say but I think grading new coins is a waste of time and money. I can undrstand people wanting old coins graded but for coins solely created to be sold at a premium is not for me. I'm going to hold for a year then it'll be sold

why?

A few reasons :-

I have a couple and would sell one tomorrow if i could grade and double or triple the price

The populations on pcgs and ngc are minute

I'm assuming this one is from madstacks and he had problems with milk spots (not on the mouse) So maybe time to let them go

Its about profit.. If i buy them for 90 euro and spend £25 grading and postage and can sell for £150 upwards for a PF69 or PF70 then i would

So if they grade poorly then i wouldn't bother but if they grade well then i'd probably grade and sell.. Checking my coins under a 30x loop they look ok ...but thats only my opinion

Today I bought (and received as I collected), 1890, 1891, 1892 and 1893 sovereigns.

Don't think there was a London 1893 but I can't see any mint mark on it. Not looked with a loupe though yet.

Edit, just noticed there was London 1893's, just a different head.

Edited by Danny-boy

Stacker since 2013

$5 liberty head

1/2 sov, 2002 shield

1/10oz PM year of horse, all gold

Note to self, next purchase must be silver, and repeat!

As good as [..........]

There is a reason for that ))

Are you allowing yourself to get sovs or do coins need to be 1/4oz to qualify?

I'll stick to 1/4oz for now HH, although i might look at buying sovereigns next year.

I've only strayed once this year away from a 1/4oz gold when i bought a 1/4oz platinum maple.