• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

28 minutes ago, Pipers said:

@Stu Did you buy the libertad set from Apmex? 

If so do you live in the UK

No , EMK had one in stock. Did not want to chance any import taxes from the states.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Sunday night is my eBay night in and today I bought two lovely coins from eBay seller jonblyth

c6aa51c420f3eb50968d56dec92a86a8.jpg

f72c0aa48763e239965fe33b6229ce39.jpg

$5 no motto (my first no motto) from 1861 USA civil war coin.

fe275ee57cf3c101545d5e081997340e.jpg

591e5aaaafecc366977d02aab30a4495.jpg

Beautiful Shield Sovereign

I also bought my first Shield Sov from jonblyth.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0660642e3fd3956d2c86d793f1345fd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf3889017c51c2c68977c8bbc9e81f7f.jpegHope we didn't bid each other up.. [emoji4] 

No but i felt that given the price of regular bullion at the moment Numismatic gold is a bargain..

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

I'm not a big fan of his style of pictures, the details are a little hard to make out

I know you've bought from him previously, how do you find they look in person in comparison?

Also I'm pretty sure i have a 1852 if memory serves correctly :D

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

46 minutes ago, Kman said:

I'm not a big fan of his style of pictures, the details are a little hard to make out

I know you've bought from him previously, how do you find they look in person in comparison?

Also I'm pretty sure i have a 1852 if memory serves correctly :D

They are scans. Not so good for showing off the coins in all their glory but you can see the level of wear exactly and any blemishes. It's very difficult to get a really good HR photo of gold coins that show the same detail without any reflections and glare.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Also I'm pretty sure i have a 1852 if memory serves correctly [emoji3]

He has a scanned style of photo and the coin I bought was great. He is a very high quality dealer and I am sure these two will be great too.

15 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

He has a scanned style of photo and the coin I bought was great. He is a very high quality dealer and I am sure these two will be great too.

Yes I've seen him selling rarer sovereigns on Ebay I think ever since I started looking. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Today i bought a bullion half sov. Nothing special, just had to get over the concept of paying higher prices for gold now. I have been putting off buying gold as i fell that by the end of the year the price will drop from where it is now. i could be right, i could be wrong....

It is an exemplary model of how to build a reputation on ebay such that people will often overpay for his coins.

Or perhaps people get under quality from other sellers? Buying online is not easy. I bought two coins. The shield went for £265 inc special delivery less £1.25 in nectar points and £2.65 in cash back so say £255 for the actual coin. A bullion of unknown date from HGM is been £226.50 today inc postage. Which is value? The beautiful shield or the unknown bullion item? £19 premium between them..

24 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Or perhaps people get under quality from other sellers? Buying online is not easy. I bought two coins. The shield went for £265 inc special delivery less £1.25 in nectar points and £2.65 in cash back so say £255 for the actual coin. A bullion of unknown date from HGM is been £226.50 today inc postage. Which is value? The beautiful shield or the unknown bullion item? £19 premium between them..

Thats so true i think its better to pay little bit extra and get what you want than gambling and hope it will be good one

30 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

it's ~£29 premium

HH

it's ~£29 premium

HH

What's a tenner between friends? That's still a good deal. When spot was 1050 and we were 1.55 to £ that shield would have been same price

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

For your 1852 (quite a common date) at gVF grade, £265 at current spot price is a good buy.

Standard HGM sovereign at 5% is currently £220 so their shields would be £230 'ish at 10% or £240 'ish at 15% (I can't remember what their shield premium was the last time I saw or bought any).

Current market conditions render ebay prices a bit of a lottery with some very good bargains to be had. It will all settle down at some point if the spot price stabilises around current levels.

My point was that, in the past, I have seen some of JBs sovereigns sell for what I would consider top price, for reasons I assume mainly due to his good reputation.

Logical really; some people will not buy from ebay, only dealers, due to real or perceived fears and thus safety.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

For your 1852 (quite a common date) at gVF grade, £265 at current spot price is a good buy.

Standard HGM sovereign at 5% is currently £220 so their shields would be £230 'ish at 10% or £240 'ish at 15% (I can't remember what their shield premium was the last time I saw or bought any).

Current market conditions render ebay prices a bit of a lottery with some very good bargains to be had. It will all settle down at some point if the spot price stabilises around current levels.

My point was that, in the past, I have seen some of JBs sovereigns sell for what I would consider top price, for reasons I assume mainly due to his good reputation.

Logical really; some people will not buy from ebay, only dealers, due to real or perceived fears and thus safety.

You are right. The one I was most pleased about was the 1861 $5. I am hoping that's a good one. It's the most common no motto with 650,000 minted but you rarely find buyable no problem no motto half Eagles so it will be fun to have. I don't know if I overpaid. I beat by a pound or so someone with a 4500 feedback rating and that's a good sign but will depend how it grades.

I tend to stay away from Sunday evening ending ebay auctions as I have noticed this seems to be one of the most expensive times to win an auction.  A nice midweek morning end is much easier to win. 

I also don't like buy it nows for coins in general as even people who seem to trade as coin dealers often misrepresent items and/or over grade terribly.  Then they ask top book price or above for their overgraded coins.  I've lost count of the number of Unc or almost uncirculated coins I've seen that are really very worn and polished coins that are barely over Fine.

6 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

It is an exemplary model of how to build a reputation on ebay such that people will often overpay for his coins.

I hope I didn't overpay

My shield came to £213 delivered.

£256 (which is roughly Atkinsons prices) minus £43 nectar points :)

it also saved me hours waiting for one to pop up on the HGM website only to be beaten by someone with a faster trigger finger, lol