• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

'Coiny' are Scammers.

Hedders

If you brought a fake rolex for £20 would you think you have been scammed because it looks like a rolex?

You did not buy a fake, you brought a copy.

Few people will buy them to brag to mates but most who would buy these would do so to sell on as real 1 oz bars.

I would not put this down to a mistake by someone who is new to silver. You knew it was way cheaper than it should have been, did no research and still paid a few hundred pounds. The mistake is down to being an idiot.

Every week you hear stories of people being scammed to move their cash from their account to another account and even told to withdraw cash and buy vouchers and pass on the numbers to the people on the other end of the phone which this last year has been the so called tax office. 

Im sorry if i sound hard but ive had enough of these stupid stories. Its about time people took responsibility for their own stupid actions.

If you cant be bothered to even read a simple advert before spending that sort of money then you should not have a debit card.

Please tell me you are not employed in any of the emergency services?

1 hour ago, graham200666 said:

If you brought a fake rolex for £20 would you think you have been scammed because it looks like a rolex?

Few people will buy them to brag to mates but most who would buy these would do so to sell on as real 1 oz bars.

I would not put this down to a mistake by someone who is new to silver. You knew it was way cheaper than it should have been, did no research and still paid a few hundred pounds. The mistake is down to being an idiot.

Every week you hear stories of people being scammed to move their cash from their account to another account and even told to withdraw cash and buy vouchers and pass on the numbers to the people on the other end of the phone which this last year has been the so called tax office. 

Im sorry if i sound hard but ive had enough of these stupid stories. Its about time people took responsibility for their own stupid actions.

If you cant be bothered to even read a simple advert before spending that sort of money then you should not have a debit card.

Is that not a bit harsh? I my way of thinking, yes it is.

The OP mentioned they were new to silver and asked some questions, there is nothing wrong with that, it's half the reason why this forum exists. Will have all made mistakes, and will make more. Your comments make little sense, we are here to learn. I know more about precious metals than 99% of the public, yet only 10% of the other members here. Would you berate a toddler who is just learning to walk with the same type of language as you have used to a fellow forum member?

If so, this forum may not be the place for you.

Yes it may have been a harsh but come on, it clearly said silver plated and even after he received the bars he still did not go back and read what he had brought.

They were copies that were sold as copies. would you still be defending if he brought one of the gold bars for $50?

On the plus side for the OP, he did not get charged VAT.

40 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Is that not a bit harsh? I my way of thinking, yes it is.

The OP mentioned they were new to silver and asked some questions, there is nothing wrong with that, it's half the reason why this forum exists. Will have all made mistakes, and will make more. Your comments make little sense, we are here to learn. I know more about precious metals than 99% of the public, yet only 10% of the other members here. Would you berate a toddler who is just learning to walk with the same type of language as you have used to a fellow forum member?

If so, this forum may not be the place for you.

Anyway it has nothing to do with silver. It could have been about anything brought on the internet.

People buy an empty PS5 box on ebay for £300+ that is listed as an empty box. Ok clearly listed to try and fool people who will just look at a photo.

Then there are people who see a listing for a phone charger for £4.99 with the picture showing a photo of a £1000 phone the lead is for then complain the phone was missing.

I have been looking for a coin display box and many of the listings show coins in the box. Do i expect to get a gold coin for £10? 

No i would not berate a toddler who is learning to walk but i would sure as hell shout some nasty language at my 31 year old son if i caught him pouring a boiling kettle of water over his head and stabbing himself in the eye with a steak knife.

2 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

I wonder how many people have bought German silver from them and thought they were buying actual silver

My first purchase into the world of Silver was "German Silver". I paid about £15 for 1 bar on eBay. They had put the contents of the bar into really small font so as to hide it (was allowed back then).

I complained to eBay and got my money back. 

Chinese market places are full of these listings. They are designed to be purchased and used to con people out of their hard earned money. Ebay is awash with these, 99% been passed of as ‘genuine’. It’s well worth keeping upto date with sites like ‘Wish’ and ‘Ali B’s’, information is power...

3DAA9E02-55B1-4BA6-A130-80A5B7767C6C.jpeg

D5EE8D5C-8DCA-435C-85FA-E6B8DBCD23F1.jpeg

90025607-D21D-4B1F-BF24-9E9ADA87A28B.jpeg

860D03EF-3314-4B3A-907C-93FAAA7664A6.jpeg

D5BEC916-D781-4AC8-A85E-4DBD3B0D8A64.jpeg

4167931C-CE5B-4160-9749-358BB631C034.jpeg

53D393E7-4DA4-4CCA-B58E-79626D890D49.jpeg

51AD1E4A-AFEE-4417-81F5-44154C287D7C.jpeg

316A6C9B-507C-4AB6-8C4A-B37911685645.jpeg

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

51 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

Chinese market places are full of these listings. They are designed to be purchased and used to con people out of their hard earned money. Ebay is awash with these, 99% been passed of as ‘genuine’. It’s well worth keeping upto date with sites like ‘Wish’ and ‘Ali B’s’, information is power...

I was just about to mention these almost all the Scottsdales "the one" are fake on Ebay at the moment,and a whole heap of PCCB slabbed coins all selling as real,  some even state they are plated, however are still being snapped up at full price!!  

47 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

3DAA9E02-55B1-4BA6-A130-80A5B7767C6C.jpeg

D5EE8D5C-8DCA-435C-85FA-E6B8DBCD23F1.jpeg

90025607-D21D-4B1F-BF24-9E9ADA87A28B.jpeg

860D03EF-3314-4B3A-907C-93FAAA7664A6.jpeg

D5BEC916-D781-4AC8-A85E-4DBD3B0D8A64.jpeg

4167931C-CE5B-4160-9749-358BB631C034.jpeg

53D393E7-4DA4-4CCA-B58E-79626D890D49.jpeg

51AD1E4A-AFEE-4417-81F5-44154C287D7C.jpeg

316A6C9B-507C-4AB6-8C4A-B37911685645.jpeg

Yes i totally agree.

Scammers use these sites to buy silver plated bars and then sell on ebay as the real thing. That is the danger of these sites and if they sell on ebay as 999 silver that is a scam that will fool many people and chances are would fool me too. That is unless they put in big writing this is silver plated in the listing.

5 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I was just about to mention these almost all the Scottsdales "the one" are fake on Ebay at the moment,and a whole heap of PCCB slabbed coins all selling as real,  some even state they are plated, however are still being snapped up at full price!!  

The fake Scottsdale bars are being sold sealed in mint sealed sheets of 20... The amount on ebay are eye watering.

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

14 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

The fake Scottsdale bars are being sold sealed in mint sealed sheets of 20... The amount on ebay are eye watering.

Some of the prices are unbelievable, however when people find out they are fake ,it will be the mint that they think about and not the seller, which in turn will hurt Scottsdale.

I would never look to buy their bars now, unless from someone I trusted.

@Heddersyour best bet to start with is research(which in itself can be as much of a pass time as collecting),then look to buy from the Forum, or at least get some advice.

There is also a list on here, somewhere of bullion dealers so you can't go far wrong.

I have an 1818 Half crown that cost me £450  it sits in front of the computer now, and is worth about £5,hard lessons cost the most.     

On 12/02/2021 at 12:20, Wampum said:

I have an 1818 Half crown that cost me £450  it sits in front of the computer now, and is worth about £5,hard lessons cost the most.     

Thanks for the honesty!  And thank you to everyone else for your comments.

I only posted this thread to warn other newbies not to make the silly mistake that I made. I take full responsibility for being a fool on this occasion.

I have looked on ebay and found a chap selling these bars as genuine. I got in touch with him and he told me he wasnt sure if they were real or not, I assured him they were fake and gave him proof. He then admitted he had bought them from 'Coiny' . He didnt stop the auction and sold them at over £30 a bar..

The word 'plated' was no where to be seen on his advert. I reported the advert to ebay, Does ebay do anything about this kind of thing?

On 12/02/2021 at 07:38, graham200666 said:

A lot of people who fall for this sort of thing are older.  They have never been in trouble with any authorities, aren’t internet savvy and so aren’t aware of some of these scams.  They panic when they hear they owe the tax office money and the words legal action.

Given time to sit and think about it they may well cotton on but the scammers rely on it being a sudden shock and put time constraints into their scam just so people don’t have time to think.

I often wonder how some people who have managed to accrue savings of hundreds of thousands of pounds are so gullible as to continue giving considerable sums of money to these scammers but then I remember half the population are of below average intelligence. 😀

4 hours ago, Murph said:

A lot of people who fall for this sort of thing are older.  They have never been in trouble with any authorities, aren’t internet savvy and so aren’t aware of some of these scams.  They panic when they hear they owe the tax office money and the words legal action.

Given time to sit and think about it they may well cotton on but the scammers rely on it being a sudden shock and put time constraints into their scam just so people don’t have time to think.

I often wonder how some people who have managed to accrue savings of hundreds of thousands of pounds are so gullible as to continue giving considerable sums of money to these scammers but then I remember half the population are of below average intelligence. 😀

2 months ago a friend of my brother who is mid 40s was scammed by the classic bank call that he needs to move his money to another account.

When my brother started the story i kept saying please dont tell me he fell for that. Laughing my brother said yes he did.

I had a go at my brother for laughing because no matter how stupid it was it was not funny and there was some scumbag now spending his cash.

• 8 months later...
On 12/02/2021 at 07:38, graham200666 said:

Wrong, if the item is marked as .999 Fine Silver and isn’t it is a Counterfeit. It is purposely marked as a fraudulent imitation of something that it is not.

They need to be reported to the US Treasury which I have…

Wrong, if the item is marked as .999 Fine Silver and isn’t then it is a Counterfeit. It is purposely marked as a fraudulent imitation of something that it is not.

They need to be reported to the US Treasury which I have…

If an item Coiny sells is marked as .999 Fine Silver (for example) and isn’t then it is a counterfeit. It is purposely marked as something it is not making it a  fraudulent imitation.

If you read deep into the description of the Scottsdale Silver Bar the word "plated" appears, however, the word it self is utilized out of place and does not articulate a clear thought. 

I'm tempted to buy the Silver Eagle to see if they are bold enough to market a counterfeit US Treasury financial product.

If they are located in China they're untouchable. Go to that land and you will find copies of Western brands being sold left, right and centre. And I don't mean Del Boy style out of a suitcase in a dodgy market.

The Chinese chap selling his tat on the internet to Johnny Westerner knows this only too well. Your only way to gain redress is head east and beat the sierra hotel one tango out of him - but that'd take a lot of time and money. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, xsryman said:

so the Silver eagles in Coiny's website are fake??  or copies??  what is the difference??

If I was selling a copy I would tell you what it was, quite a few around. Fake … just get what you get without saying!

9 minutes ago, Petra said:

If I was selling a copy I would tell you what it was, quite a few around. Fake … just get what you get without saying!

https://thecoiny.com/products/american-silver-eagl?utm_campaign=gs-2021-08-13&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

so these are fakes or copies ??  or are they real ??? 

3 minutes ago, xsryman said:

Don’t collect these so wouldn’t know. However, remember, if a deal is too good to be true then it is, don’t do it!!

On 10/02/2021 at 23:04, Hedders said:

I am very new to all this and just got scammed by a deal that was too good to be true..lesson learned and all that..

I ordered 20 1 oz bars from an American looking site but when i got the dispatch email, it showed they were coming from china.

Fake bars just arrived.

Just a heads up for any other newbies, I am sure most people here know better!

The weight is good, not responsive to magnets. A little bit of filing revealed the cheeky buggers sent me silver plated gold bars :)

I guess you mean silver plated copper or base metal bars?

Chards