• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

3 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Say for eg if you ultimately wanted to buy a house but you've bought gold instead as an attempt to reduce your fiat requirement you could do a gold to property ratio for your chosen house.

Would gold to s&p or gold to FTSE 100 or gold to Barclays be useful or just interesting to some?

I do think of the metals v.s House scenario quite a lot.. as that’s a potential exit plan for me and I have always been interested in other peoples outlook 2-5yr, 10yr, 20+yr plan - whether that be metals, Stocks, Mortgage etc etc..

I moved away from plans like 1oz gold per every 3/4 tubes of silver brits and now look at metals as a hobby/ retail therapy(as it’s better than buying sh*te and keeps me kind of grounded I.e poor😅).

But all in all, would love to hear peoples short & Long term plans - if you’d like to share?

10 minutes ago, silversky said:

Did I miss something last night?  

No one's talking.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

2 minutes ago, AOB said:

I do think of the metals v.s House scenario quite a lot.. as that’s a potential exit plan for me and I have always been interested in other peoples outlook 2-5yr, 10yr, 20+yr plan - whether that be metals, Stocks, Mortgage etc etc..

I moved away from plans like 1oz gold per every 3/4 tubes of silver brits and now look at metals as a hobby/ retail therapy(as it’s better than buying sh*te and keeps me kind of grounded I.e poor😅).

But all in all, would love to hear peoples short & Long term plans - if you’d like to share?

Yep pretty similar view , buy coins , for the pretty pictures on them , then sell them ,  Or give them to the kids  , and buy gold to give to the kids , maybe if they need to get there hands in a couple of quid in years to come.  They can sell it at one of the main dealers ,  , 

10 minutes ago, treetop1280 said:

Yep pretty similar view , buy coins , for the pretty pictures on them , then sell them ,  Or give them to the kids  , and buy gold to give to the kids , maybe if they need to get there hands in a couple of quid in years to come.  They can sell it at one of the main dealers ,  , 

Yes it’s always good way to look at it, it’s like buying new clothes/ shoes and soon.. but you don’t loss as much money, all going well 🤞🏽😁

4 minutes ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

I only see Silver as a trade to buy more Gold, I'm in my early 50's so I will be trading Silver for Gold for the last time, as these cycles take years to play out.

Maybe as new technologies come on line Silver's price will be permanently higher but that's a huge gamble.

If the Gold price keeps moving higher and becomes unaffordable, then its a big probability that people with limited means buy the perceived next best metal, which is Silver.

Then add in the stories that we've heard hundreds of times about how undervalued Silver is, then you have the beginnings of a mania.

That’s a good strategy indeed, I have done that also many times buying silver to trade over to gold.. it’s a longer horizon play indeed - though shows your patience and you don’t act eratically based on small price swings.

Thanks for sharing sir👍🏽

20 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

platinum/gold ratio is the most compelling case imho. 

Platinum will be dead for a long time - you know why? because palladium is taking it over.

Because its cheaper in the car manufacturing industry.... and now its more readily available and cheaper... Think green 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, katyc said:

I'm off to do some gardening and get my chebs burnt while the sun is out.

Wait till you get friction burns on pairs of curtains like I do....

You know I'm a country boy at heart and I certainly believe in the saying about agricultural sayings - suns out plums out.... !

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

As George Gammon says "there are no certainties only probabilities".

Lové the Gammon - he knows his stuff.

even better with Ham egg n chips - shove ya pineapple mind.....

Another useful way to conceptualise the G:S and Intrinsic vs Market Value, production and refining costs, market dynamics, is to examine the Intrinsic Value vs Market Value at dealer websites

Chards and most major dealers will show the intrinsic value of a coin beside its market value - e.g. a 999 silver Britannia (2023 KCIII) has an intrinsic value of £24.79 but a market value of £35.39. A piece of scrap 925 or 900 silver will have the same intrinsic value measured in pure silver content but a different market value to reflect supply, demand, production and refinement costs, with the market value of less pure silver being closer to the intrinsic value than pure or 999 silver. 

2023 1 Ounce Silver Britannia Coin | Chards - From £35.21

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Platinum will be dead for a long time - you know why? because palladium is taking it over.

Because its cheaper in the car manufacturing industry.... and now its more readily available and cheaper... Think green 

It already took over motor production… and it’s now tooling up for platinum again as palladium rose so high, which takes years. Hence palladium price has dropped through the floor. Now platinum is increasing share for automotive use. At $3000 and oz manufacturing changed their mind 

Plus the huge supply shocks from Russia and South Africa. 

IMG_5173.jpeg

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

1 hour ago, silversky said:

I always thought the gold silver ratio made more sense when displayed in logarithmic format.  It shows the small differences as small up at the high end of the scale where we have been, and the actual large differences as large down around the magic 16:1 area.  It indicates visually the real value change required to return to that area..

My thoughts on getting back to 16:1 are that its not likely for long if ever.  There are plenty of metals that are rare and also cheap.  So why should Silver ever be highly valuable again just because it is rare?  It's not just rarity that gives Gold its value.  Just because Silver once held monetary value like gold, does not mean that it ever will again.  And if it gets too pricey to stick it into solar panels and mobile phones relatively cheaply, they'll just use aluminium and copper instead.  All that will happen is that they'll accept that the heat or electrical transfer isn't the best in the world, but that it's nearly as good in the substitute metal and that they need to build slightly bigger or more items to accomplish a similar end goal.

Not having Silver won't be a deal breaker for many modern electrical products.  But it will take time to changeover to other materials as Silver gets progressively more expensive.  During that changeover, Silver will become very expensive imho.  But after big products abandon it in favour of redesign to cheaper albeit slightly less effective alternatives, Silver will crash again just like the 80's and 2010's.

I'm a big fan of Silver, and I still believe that it will one day make a moon-shot into three figures as an industrial shortage finally takes hold.  But it won't last long as a said above.  There are alternatives when it gets too pricey.

This is inaccurate IMHO

It might add a few pennies to low cost electronics but the silver price is negligible compared with the price of an iPhone (0.34g of silver) or a laptop. It would affect solar panels (20g+ for an average 2m^2 panel) and EVs (a few ounces) but silver is not the primary cost driver in those technologies. The manufacturers can shrug off silver mooning but they can't shrug off oil, labour, shipping costs or regulation/taxation

Silver is used in electronics due to its unique chemical properties, not because it is cheap or scarce

Solar panels and batteries are all about efficiency. It is simply not possible to replace silver in those technologies without compromising the entire product, especially for solar panels but also for batteries where a few % in real world efficiency gains is considered revolutionary. 

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

11 hours ago, theman73 said:

I can show you the messages if need it

This must be one of reason why you were asking for new investment ideas a few month ago to probably get out of selling on here (or if forced to).

I remember a similar thing happening to Presley when he worked a way to sell cheap silver and he got hounded out.  I know he case was slightly different as he had be previously been a banned member under a different name. 

Never Chase and Never Regret