• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

19 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

If you think this is real then I have a bridge to sell you 

Yeah, completely ludicrous, at most they’d carry out airstrikes within iranian territory, a nuclear strike would almost definitely lead to complete diplomatic isolation and reduce Israel to the status of a nuclear pariah state the likes of North Korea.

1 hour ago, Shuaib121 said:

Yeah, completely ludicrous, at most they’d carry out airstrikes within iranian territory, a nuclear strike would almost definitely lead to complete diplomatic isolation and reduce Israel to the status of a nuclear pariah state the likes of North Korea.

Iran launched over 300 missiles at Israel, launched from Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran, and were threatening to launch another barrage of 3000. Clearly intended to cause much damage and deaths, a thwarted extermination attempt, de-escalated by the attempt failure and Israel having nuclear weapons and the capacity to deploy those if Iran persisted with its extermination attempts. Russia and Iran sit alongside North Korea as pariah states. Had those 300 missiles impacted then more likely the international community would have rallied around Israel.

15 minutes ago, Bratnia said:

Iran launched over 300 missiles at Israel, launched from Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran, and were threatening to launch another barrage of 3000. Clearly intended to cause much damage and deaths, a thwarted extermination attempt, de-escalated by the attempt failure and Israel having nuclear weapons and the capacity to deploy those if Iran persisted with its extermination attempts. Russia and Iran sit alongside North Korea as pariah states. Had those 300 missiles impacted then more likely the international community would have rallied around Israel.

Extremely unlikely, by all accounts of international law Irans retaliation was legal, at most the missile would have killed 800-1000 Israelis (that’s if every single missile hit and wasn’t intercepted extremely unlikely) the US considered a nuclear strike in Afghanistan after 9/11 but quickly reconsidered due to the diplomatic fallout (mind the pun). And that’s the US, the strongest country on the planet with no peer-peer rival. Israel has faced stiff international pressure for its actions after October 7th, a terror attack. Now imagine Israel decided to drop a Nuke in response to irans missile hits that would have hundreds of thousands if not over a million casualties. It would almost definitely lead to complete international condemnation and isolation. If you think otherwise you’re wrong.

Edited by Shuaib121

3 hours ago, bobski said:

I went to Aldi just to buy you Haribo's to go with your tiny Britannia. How dare you

3 hours ago, bobski said:

If I ever sell you anything, YOU are sending ME Haribo's

If you're serious about exchanging gold for a bag of Haribo I'm interested.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

5 hours ago, Spyder said:

Let me guess, all you guys cheering gold to rise all the time, have bought all the gold you ever want. Unless no one wants to buy another sovereign, I can not see this fascination with wanting gold to go up all the time.  I want to buy 5 sovereign for £2000, how am going to get that if it keeps going up.    By the way I do want 5 sovereigns so if anyone is selling for £2k, let me know.

I'm with you on this.

1 hour ago, Shuaib121 said:

Now imagine Israel decided to drop a Nuke in response to irans missile hits that would have hundreds of thousands if not over a million casualties. It would almost definitely lead to complete international condemnation and isolation. If you think otherwise you’re wrong.

Of course it would be condemned but that in itself might not be sufficient. If the 300 missiles had caused 1000 deaths then the western elements of the international community would have rallied around Israel, but not to the extent of Israel not still feeling a sense of being isolated and potentially opting for a non-lethal demonstration nuclear retaliatory strike, somewhere remote within Iran, accepting of the condemnation and isolation - in feeling of already being isolated (a sense that if Iran missiles Israel now, that it may also do so in future once it has nuclear missiles). From there Iran would retaliate, and the situation escalate, but where outside of that all sides condemn the situation in order to avoid broadening - but falling upon deaf Israeli ears. Initially non-lethal/remote, subsequently some deaths and Iranian nuclear development sites targeted, then onward/upwards. 1000 initial Israeli deaths, then 10,000 then all out kill or be killed survival/extinction and in total disregard of what others might be saying at the time. Wars are all too easily started, difficult to end, and once one nuke has been thrown the second is more easily thrown.

Edited by Bratnia

15 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

When would you like your investment value to increase? Once you have bought all the gold you want?

It's best to see the money spent each time as a total amount invested in to a commodity which will hopefully see returns, rather than focus on the cost of individual items.

This is what happens when investing gets blurred with a hobby and interest.

No one worries about their pension rising with the stock market, they keep putting the monthly contributions in regardless.

Do the same with gold.

I'm a numismatist, I collect coins. I'm not bothered about them going up in value every year. I simply enjoy them for what they are. Many of my coins have premiums in excess of the bullion value. When bullion does make big moves though it makes it harder to purchase dates/types that I'm still after as they tend to rise in value as well.

Edited by SidS

22 minutes ago, SidS said:

I'm a numismatist, I collect coins. I'm not bothered about them going up in value every year. I simply enjoy them for what they are. Many of my coins have premiums in excess of the bullion value. When bullion does make big moves though it makes it harder to purchase dates/types that I'm still after as they tend to rise in value as well.

Understood completely, but you said you are in agreement with the post questioning why people like to see the price rise. I was just giving my perspective on that reason.

This has reminded me the forum has a mix of people. Investing mindsets alongside numismatic interests.

15 minutes ago, SidS said:

I do understand your viewpoint, but if, like you, I was hoping for increased returns, I would hope that they would be gradual and sustained.

Massive price swings are not good. It's all very well having a pile of gold (or silver in my case) which you're well positioned on, but if the economy begins to collapse properly, it's not good news. Whilst you are weathered from the storm somewhat, a 1922-23 event as in Germany would be catastrophic for all of us. No good getting paid if that very afternoon your wages don't cover your living expenses. Then you have to use your gold, what's left when it's gone? Gold going to the moon isn't always a good thing. Gold tortoising is the best... Slow and steady.

I agree with these points completely. I was just giving my view on why people on here cheer the price rises. Swings are inevitable and I personally am not convinced this movement will not correct itself in due course.

Good discussion 🙂

Not sure if been posted already? 
Many discussions on paper versus physical.

here it was alleged that someone just turned up with forged? Documents? (paper 🤣) And just drove off with a sh*t load of the shiny stuff 

some balls there 🚀

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/04/17/toronto-pearson-airport-gold-heist-arrests-made-peel-police/

1 minute ago, iggypop said:

Not sure if been posted already? 
Many discussions on paper versus physical.

here it was alleged that someone just turned up with forged? Documents? (paper 🤣) And just drove off with a sh*t load of the shiny stuff 

some balls there 🚀

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/04/17/toronto-pearson-airport-gold-heist-arrests-made-peel-police/

Peel Police announce arrests one year after $20M in gold bars were stolen from a cargo facility at Pearson airport.

4 hours ago, SidS said:

Massive price swings are not good ... Gold tortoising is the best... Slow and steady.

There are three sources of rewards/gains, price appreciation, income (dividends/interest) and volatility. Volatility is commonly seen as being a risk, and only by taking on exposure to risk might you be rewarded. The high volatility of stocks and gold are a good thing, especially when there's a tendency towards a element of inverse correlations. If you want slow and steady go with cash deposits - but as the volatility is low so also are the rewards. 50/50 in volatile assets such as stocks and gold and if stocks double/gold halves one period and then gold doubles/stocks halve over another period, individually they yield 0%, as a 50/50 pair you make a >50% gain. Gold and stocks will have a decade or more of relatively bad outcomes, but what drives stocks to have a bad decade can see gold have a good decade and vice-versa. 1970's and gold good/stocks bad, 1980's stocks good/gold bad ... and the same again in the 1990's. 2000's gold good/stocks bad. Across 1980 to 1999 and gold prices halved in nominal terms, lost even more in real (after inflation) terms. 50/50 with stocks however and you ended up with 6 or 7 times more ounces of gold in your safe just via yearly rebalancing, without having added a single additional penny. In the 2000's when gold did well ounces of gold in your safe were moved over into buying more stock shares (at relatively low prices as stocks did poorly).

Volatility isn't a risk when combined with both rebalancing and averaging in/out that smooths down that volatility to a broader overall average that incorporates the risk-premium for having taken on the 'risk' of volatility.

16 hours ago, MrStacker said:

I bet that Andy fella still preaching about silver over gold? 

Depends which one your on about ? If its Andrew mguire im sure he knows more about the market than you ever will imo 😀

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

15 hours ago, Spyder said:

Let me guess, all you guys cheering gold to rise all the time, have bought all the gold you ever want. Unless no one wants to buy another sovereign, I can not see this fascination with wanting gold to go up all the time.  I want to buy 5 sovereign for £2000, how am going to get that if it keeps going up.    By the way I do want 5 sovereigns so if anyone is selling for £2k, let me know.

Get a higher paid job maybe ?

15 hours ago, Bratnia said:

I see it going the other way. Failed attempt to cause widespread deaths/damage by Iran upon Israel, Israel not having nuked Iran in return, and I would imagine Iran is reconsidering its supply of its proxies. Better for it to calm things down - giving Iran time to evolve into a nuclear power state. With US congress now having approved the $61Bn funding for Ukraine that will quickly see arms supply into Ukraine (much of that money goes directly to US firms that manufacture and supply the weapons), move back more to being a stalemate/static situation rather than a Russian advance. Fear (rising/high gold) somewhat calmed. More a directional push towards higher stock prices/lower gold prices.