• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

I assume the wood chip was a practical answer to the 4 9's fine problem in that fingernails can scratch the coins and the smooth field on the 2014's showed every scratch and ding? The wood chip hides any imperfections quite well by being hideous in the first place? :lol:

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

the matt background is not designed by jc, as it was

first available on 2015 britannias which still featured

the earlier irb obverse. there's little objection to the

5th portrait, people just don't like the matt fields.

HH

It's not that it's matt, it's that stippled effect, looked like it's been cast.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

the matt background is not designed by jc, as it was

first available on 2015 britannias which still featured

the earlier irb obverse. there's little objection to the

5th portrait, people just don't like the matt fields.

HH

HH,  royal mint say it is jc?  Is it a mistake? Regards Chris 

Screenshot_2016-04-07-21-44-54.png

our opinions for the 2015 britannias was: matt is fine as

long as it's done nicely like the frosted matt done by perth

mint.

the design on both sides is jcs work but the actual matt

background is not his fault. it's more likely a marketing

decision to force all later bullion 999 coins with the same

matt to hide errors. (just as too shiny proof backgrounds

are also not the artist fault)

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

I don't usually post photos, I bought this peso 20 from Apmex it took over a week to come it's only a 1959 re-strike at first it looks quite good condition but near the snakes head there are scratch marks, can our resident Mexican expert @Numistacker have a look at it please and advise if i should complain or let it go.  It was bought as advertised as there standard Aztec 20 coin but they sell it as nearly uncirculated (what ever that means).  

peso20 2.jpgpeso 20 1.jpg 

I don't usually post photos, I bought this peso 20 from Apmex it took over a week to come it's only a 1959 re-strike at first it looks quite good condition but near the snakes head there are scratch marks, can our resident Mexican expert @Numistacker have a look at it please and advise if i should complain or let it go.  It was bought as advertised as there standard Aztec 20 coin but they sell it as nearly uncirculated (what ever that means).  

5707de71dee28_peso202.thumb.jpg.b11730cdd3a3413331a944f7adfaf9a1.jpg5707de5a57bca_peso201.thumb.jpg.52b3d33d6456f924861a38ec9549fcd8.jpg 

Almost uncirculated means circulated and can be marked. That one doesn't look bad at all. The only thing you can be certain of is that anything you pick up from apmex as a random coin will not be more than the grade described.

Thanks for the info Numi, it's a nice coin that I have been wanting to buy for a while now.  With the info you gave me the other week I thought I would go ahead and order a coin from Apmex and see how it went.  

7 hours ago, Oldun said:

Went to my local registered numismatic coin dealer to get my 1989 sov and half sov graded and also ended up getting a 1953 Coronation Crown proof for 17 quid and a creased 1762 1/4 guinea EF condition for 155 quid. If uncreased, it would be  worth 400 quid and upwards. Still, lovely bit of history to have for the permanent collection. Dealer knocked 10% off the listed price which was nice of him.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Could be a love token, coins which were bent in two places slightly and given to women by their sweethearts.  You lost value because of it being bent but nice to know that you're possibly holding something which could have been treasured by a young woman more than 250 years ago.  

Yes, I dont mind collecting creased or holed coins like this 1762 1/4 guinea that would normally be very expensive. I get a story and numismatic history at an affordable price. I dont pretend to know enough about serious full on numismatic values yet, so this is a gentle affordable way of nibbling around the edges and having some cool coins with deep history. The 1/4 guinea  has two creases, -one was as a result of it being a love token with the other less visible one possibly being created when struck according to the JNDA registered dealer. I also have an 1827 1/2 sovereign holed for use as a necklace. I like to think the hole was made way way back as in the modern era (20th and 21st century), clasps were the main way of making a necklace.

Edited by Oldun