• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

When do you stop your stacking journey?

When do you stop your gold stacking journey?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How much gold is enough?

• There is never enough
    • When gold hits £2500 an oz
    • When I retire
    • Stopped already, I have enough
    • When I have 100 oz’s
    • I can’t, I’m addicted to the shiny stuff
    • Moved on from stacking, it’s now a hobby

Slightly addicted at the moment but the aim is to keep going till about 2 or 3 years before retirement. Then hopefully the general upward trend will put me in profit.

Got to buy other things for a while to help keep my world turning but will try and buy in the gaps whatever the price does.

I pick up a sovereign / half sovereign / 1/4 gold Brit, each month if I can. Either bullion, or if I can get a nice or unusual one at a good price.

It's recently come to my attention though, that all of my pairs of socks have got at least one hole, or significant wear - so I shall have to divert some funds, to replenish what has been banished from the ol' sock draw 😩. But that shall never stop me! 😁.

(membership of the 'Dull Men's Club' is pending) 😎

27 minutes ago, James32 said:

Not going to lie, I'm addicted. Any price movement upwards or downwards is a bonus in equal measure. 

Scared to dabble in buying and selling. 

Buy a sovereign, price goes up so sell sovereign. Price goes up some more. Should have kept it and cant afford to replace sovereign.

1 hour ago, Esjayc said:

It's recently come to my attention though, that all of my pairs of socks have got at least one hole, or significant wear - so I shall have to divert some funds, to replenish what has been banished from the ol' sock draw 😩. But that shall never stop me! 😁.

If the holes in your socks are in different places then just wear 2 pairs per day.

There’s no need to divert funds away from gold. Just be resourceful.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

1 hour ago, Esjayc said:

I came home once and told my wife that I’d spent £100 on socks. She told me I was mad. But the £100 was a deposit on my new car with its registration including the letters SO**KS.

Your application for membership of The Dull Men’s Club has now been received.

Edited by GoodAsGold

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

You need to add, (When the money runs out and can't deliver the newspaper's on the round to get some more.) to your poll.

Oh wait. You did. I'm addicted and would be stopping when forced to. Most likely in retirement. 

Most people suffer price indigestion.  If you were buying sovs at 250 quid it’s takes a while to get used to buying them at 330.  Etc etc 

but after a period of time one adjusts and gets back into the swing of it..

I have the same attitude to beer prices.  But that only lasts about 4 minutes 

Are we soliciting serious answers?

When you have enough in precious metals to cover all of your bills and outgoings for 5 years, including your dependants

Metals aren't supposed to be 100% of your investment portfolio. Some assets that produce yield (like stocks, bonds, ISAs, real estate) are essential unless you plan on selling your metals to fund your retirement

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

4 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Buy a sovereign, price goes up so sell sovereign. Price goes up some more. Should have kept it and cant afford to replace sovereign.

Ahh the secret is to rapidly replace what you sell by buying something fresh instantly. Renewable stack with no added cost. Your cost average remains the same and you still have activity in the market.

Also keep adding to pot when possible, longer term it will all make sense/ take care of itself. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

When you have enough in precious metals to cover all of your bills and outgoings for 5 years, including your dependants

Metals aren't supposed to be 100% of your investment portfolio. Some assets that produce yield (like stocks, bonds, ISAs, real estate) are essential unless you plan on selling your metals to fund your retirement

Use leverage in earlier/younger years, start by buying your own home using a mortgage. Avoids having to find/pay rent to others and in late life the sale proceeds might fund care home costs. At some point whilst accumulating, start regularly buying some stocks (a general/broad/major stock index) and gold, in equal measure each month. Over many years of averaging in, plus some trading (rebalancing back to 50/50 stock/gold periodically, perhaps once/year) that is inclined to create a decent retirement pot. In retirement average-out, sell either some stocks or gold, whichever is the higher at the time, each month - a week or so before your credit card bill is due to be paid, so that the sale proceeds cash is in your account when you pay off the credit card. That averaging in and out over many years is inclined to achieve the broad average gain, which over the last century+ was around a 4% real (after inflation) growth rate.

In that context, "never enough", a entire investment lifetime of perhaps 40 years of accumulating (working), 30 years of drawdown (retirement). Pay into state/occupational pension(s) if you can, which is enough 'bond' exposure in itself. Land (home), stock, gold and bonds (pension) is broad enough diversification. For the stock holding you might prefer a global stock index fund, or maybe just a US stock index fund, for additional currency risk diversification. Look for a low cost choice, preferably held in a tax exempt accounts (ISA and/or SIPP).

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Won’t let me add anything to the poll but that’s a fair shout. 

The original plan was enough to cover a years worth of living (so about 12oz). I’m a few grams short of 20oz (well that’s what my Therapist said) but no real pension apart from the work place one. 
Got a nice chunk in a S&S isa and no mortgage so not too bad off. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Ha, that is so true at the moment that’s for sure

Edited by Fishface220

5 hours ago, AaaGee said:

2023 gold gained 7%, US stock total return for a UK investor gained 19%. Rebalancing back to 50/50 would have had you selling some stock shares to buy more gold, even though gold was at a higher price. Fewer shares, more ounces of gold. In other years it might be fewer ounces of gold, sold to add more shares.

Consider stocks (such as a US S&P500 stock index accumulation fund) and gold ... as a form of currency that you keep in a ewallet. Unlike £20 notes in your wallet that are inclined to lose purchase power over time, stock/gold is inclined to buy more at a later date than what it can buy today. You can't however go into a shop and spend gold or stock certificates, so you need a in-fill for that, such as a credit card. To sell some stocks or gold might take T+2 time (couple of days), not as liquid/quick as say exchanging some Euro's in your wallet into Pounds, but neither too long to be a issue/bother.

The worst currency to hold mid/longer term are Pound notes - they're certain to lose purchase power over time. The next worst is cash deposits, whilst the interest may in part offset inflation the taxman takes a slice, and your money that you deposit (lend) becomes the banks money, free to use as it likes, such as heads they win tails the taxpayer bails them out game-plays. Bonds aren't much better, you're lending to someone who gets to set the terms and conditions, not that dissimilar to buying fire insurance from a arsonist. Land (home) is good - they're not making any more of it, gold is also finite. Owning a home also has imputed rent benefit, avoids having to find/pay rent to others. Stocks are also productive assets, are like buying farmland and working that land - where the harvests yield dividends.

Edited by Bratnia

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, adamantio999 said:

I can’t, I’m addicted to the shiny stuff (can't help myself).
Also, I'm too young to stop, I'm in my late 30s and I've only started six years ago.
Also keep losing my stack in boat accidents forces me to start from scratches every now and then.

Never known so many people have such bad luck when it comes to boats as i’ve seen on TSF

Edited by Fishface220
Spelling