• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint quality control is evidently non existent!

This screenshot is taken from a Instagram video the royal mint published about the making of some George Michael coins.

Can you spot the giant frosting break on his forehead and to my eyes the background of the coin is a little hazy.

How can they not even get a promo video right?

Screenshot_20240302-103348.png

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, Agaupl said:

I think they do it on purpose to normalise the level of quality 

Yep, set the expectation low and you minimize the amount of disappointment 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Not helped by the effigy bearing more resemblance to Simon Cowell (in my humble opinion) than George Michael.  

Poor all round.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Yep, set the expectation low and you minimize the amount of disappointment 

When I had a meeting with their quality and production people last year to discuss all of my previous disappointments (which to be fair were much more significant than a minor bit of frosting being missing), they arranged to send me a 2023 silver proof definitive set to make up for it...

...and I had to return that as well 🤦‍♂️ Two of the coins had really obvious marks and splatters on them.

Considering the purpose of the gift, I just found it incredible that nobody thought to look at the set before sending it to me. It's exactly what I had been complaining about.

2 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

This screenshot is taken from a Instagram video the royal mint published about the making of some George Michael coins.

Can you spot the giant frosting break on his forehead and to my eyes the background of the coin is a little hazy.

George Michael on one side and KC3 on the other, surely another RM future classic ........... :unsure:

Yet somehow quite a number have sold, I'm seeing quite a lot of older, similarly obscure subject matter proofs, now being sold of in bundles at bullion prices, maybe these will meet the same fate in future...........

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I think the RM have pretty consistently proved how little they care about QC over recent years. There are always problems and its annoying having to deal with them.

The only thing I'm still purchasing from them is the Great Engravers coins and even then I find myself questioning whether its worth sticking to that series at this point or not. More people need to remember the power of voting with their wallet and stop supporting a company who seemingly cares so little about the products they send out. There are plenty of other coins out there to spend ones hard earned cash on that don't come with the same annoyances.

5 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I think the RM have pretty consistently proved how little they care about QC over recent years. There are always problems and its annoying having to deal with them.

The only thing I'm still purchasing from them is the Great Engravers coins and even then I find myself questioning whether its worth sticking to that series at this point or not. More people need to remember the power of voting with their wallet and stop supporting a company who seemingly cares so little about the products they send out. There are plenty of other coins out there to spend ones hard earned cash on that don't come with the same annoyances.

They have put me off buying silver coins with all the issues they present. The last few added so much stress to the purchase, returning for a coin that isn't subpar, waiting for deliveries adding extra cost to the process. To have the silver milk spot before arrival, or to see it change whilst in your possession is disheartening. Milk spot problems which seems to be a modern issue, the mint seemingly won't take responsibility for. This is a new problem that they have created, the silver .999 2013 Britannias have not suffered the same fate as the latest 2024 coins.

Sticking to the gold releases, if i can afford. Otherwise i am buying on the secondary market, or after some QC is done via some bloke called Dave.

78av.gif

20 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Do the Royal Mint actually manufacture all the coins in house or are any outsourced? 

Pretty sure all of the proofs are struck there, and practically all of the bullion.

Not all of the blanks are made there though. Some are bought in as ready-to-strike blanks from Australia. Maybe that's the real source of the milkspots 🤔

On 02/03/2024 at 10:36, BackyardBullion said:

Wow! 😮 In their own video too! Thats insulting. It’s like the  emperor’s new cloths. It’s treating everyone like muppets. 😤 

• 4 weeks later...