• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The problem with coin collecting nowadays.

Ignorant

I think you have a point with certain collectible coins. However, I don’t wear gloves or baby the circulated coins in my collection unless they are rare. I keep a standard .500 silver 1939 Half Crown on my desk and play with it all day whilst working. Spin it around. Toss it in the air and catch it. Etc etc etc. I like the feel of a circulated silver coin in my hand and so I’m not afraid to touch it. Of course with increasing rarity comes increasing care. 

😀

30 minutes ago, DTL1982 said:

I think you have a point with certain collectible coins. However, I don’t wear gloves or baby the circulated coins in my collection unless they are rare. I keep a standard .500 silver 1939 Half Crown on my desk and play with it all day whilst working. Spin it around. Toss it in the air and catch it. Etc etc etc. I like the feel of a circulated silver coin in my hand and so I’m not afraid to touch it. Of course with increasing rarity comes increasing care. 

I  carry a 1928 half crown and a 1931 penny (the colour is glorious on the penny)  the touch of old silver is very therapeutic I find 😀   

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

Handling most coins… no issue, however, all those ‘impaired’ proof coins!🤔😮 why! Jemmy it out of its capsule and play with it! Why😮🤔!

Some people wouldn't know any better.  Their coin, their rules... but obviously to the detriment of resale 🙂

On 10/08/2023 at 15:11, Ignorant said:

Modern collectible coins, but even bullion nowadays are pampered and babied like never before. Handeling coins without gloves is a no no, not to mention cleaning them, and most are stored in their own separate containers I.e. capsules or slabs.

In the old days coins were handled and over time developed wear from circulating. But with most collectors pampering their coins to the extreme nowadays, gone are the days when coins would gradually get removed from circulation and recycled for other purposes.

Before, quantities would gradually diminish as coins would be melted for other purposes, adding to the rarity, scarcity and appeal of coins over time. But with everyone pampering their coins nowadays this is less likely to occur. Availability won’t diminish. And except for poorly minted coins straight from the mints, mintages, grades, rarity and scarcity will remain a constant, impacting appreciation and value retention negatively in the longrun. And the constant influx of new collectible coins will only exacerbate this problem. More choice equals less demand for a particular coin overall.

Basically the coins worth collecting and most likely to appreciate in value nowadays are those of which the general consensus is that they are of exceptional design and/ or have extremely low mintages. Plus they better be in pristine condition, or else they are just bullion, worth no more than their weight in gold and unlikely to appreciate in value unless the collector pool increases proportionally to supply. But I doubt that’s the case.

Am I wrong? Is my logic flawed? I’m interested to hear from the knowledgeable members on this forum. Please share your thoughts on the subject.

EXACTLY - You hit the nail on the head.

On 10/08/2023 at 21:18, Petra said:

Handling most coins… no issue, however, all those ‘impaired’ proof coins!🤔😮 why! Jemmy it out of its capsule and play with it! Why😮🤔!

If you already own an example of the coin then this is a good thing. The more of them that are impaired and ruined the better your pristine one will do.

On 10/08/2023 at 15:11, Ignorant said:

Basically the coins worth collecting and most likely to appreciate in value nowadays are those of which the general consensus is that they are of exceptional design and/ or have extremely low mintages. Plus they better be in pristine condition, or else they are just bullion, worth no more than their weight in gold and unlikely to appreciate in value unless the collector pool increases proportionally to supply. But I doubt that’s the case.

Am I wrong? Is my logic flawed? I’m interested to hear from the knowledgeable members on this forum. Please share your thoughts on the subject.

Hi @Ignorant. Some of us collect, some of us stack and some of us do both, as we’re all aware. But when it comes to precious metal coins then we all invest. Some of us look to sell our investments on at a profit. Some of us like to hold onto our investments and ultimately gift them to sons, daughters or whoever.  So when you suggest  “some coins are just bullion, worth no more than their weight in gold and unlikely to appreciate in value”  I would add that the value of bullion fluctuates in line with its constantly changing price on the precious metal markets. 

Simply buy your bullion when market prices are down and sell when the market is up and there’s your profit. Personally I wouldn’t refer to it as “just bullion”. After all, it’s still precious.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

Nobody will ever know what I do to my coins when no one is looking... 😁

On topic: If you have ever seen how your local bullion dealer handles coins you will realize that pristine condition is an idea reserved for investors that put too much thought into it.

Will a collectors' value ever be realized? Isn't it like with a Rolex, that no one ever wants to be the person paying the theoretical collectors' value?