• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What are peoples thoughts on stacking gold bought without receipts regarding selling it on?

I've picked a bit of gold up off the forum recently and I'm wondering what the bullion dealers will make of it when its time to cash in. I know the RM are keen on proof of ownership as they've asked me in the past when I had the odd item for sale.. I had paperwork then but I won't have it for the forum purchases. I'd like to read members thoughts.

Edited by CazLikesCoins
editing

26 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

Not once has anyone asked for proof of ownership from me. With the amount of "best value" sov purchases, that don't specify the coin in any way..i'm not sure what value i'd give to that receipt if i was a dealer. Curious to hear what others say. Was this on a "High value" sale?

Just send the RM this receipt.

image.thumb.png.f27c48334a743363603537af7218d31d.png

I can't send them a Tesco bill lol. It was on the RM website sales form. The doomy bit that says 'Where did you acquire this' or something. One sovereign was the item and I ended up keeping it as they offered such a silly low price I actually thought they were trolling me for wasting their time with less than a quarter ounce gold to sell 😅

Sounds like a load of codswallop. Have never been asked for a receipt, have never asked for a receipt. Sell your items on here and you won't take a dealers haircut. OK let's play devil's advocate and pretend gold is £4k an oz and dealers are the only safe option. I think there need for gold will be relatively high and as long as its real, money will still change hands the same day.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

Sounds like a load of codswallop. Have never been asked for a receipt, have never asked for a receipt. Sell your items on here and you won't take a dealers haircut. OK let's play devil's advocate and pretend gold is £4k an oz and dealers are the only safe option. I think there need for gold will be relatively high and as long as its real, money will still change hands the same day.

If I pop over to Lawrence's in Blackpool I shouldn't be worrying about lack of paperwork? I don't want to replay a scene out of Snatch where I look like a dodgy person with a bag of gold I'm trying to shift and can't think of a convincing answer where I got it. Where's this from? "Um ... I bought it online!" Oh likely story! "No I did look and I've printed out some avatars of people who I bought it from!" No paperwork! 5p an ounce for your cheek! 

Sounds like I don't need any paperwork. :) 

1 minute ago, CazLikesCoins said:

If I pop over to Lawrence's in Blackpool I shouldn't be worrying about lack of paperwork? I don't want to replay a scene out of Snatch where I look like a dodgy person with a bag of gold I'm trying to shift and can't think of a convincing answer where I got it. Where's this from? "Um ... I bought it online!" Oh likely story! "No I did look and I've printed out some avatars of people who I bought it from!" No paperwork! 5p an ounce for your cheek! 

Still don't know why you will be selling to a dealer?

1 minute ago, James32 said:

I'm thinking longer term. There might not always be a silver forum or easily accessible private sales. I've got years before I'm ready to cash up for retirement and am wondering what's going to be out there when I arrive. Lumping a wheelbarrow of gold to great great great grandfather Lawrence of Chads MKIV might be the only option :D 

2 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I'm thinking longer term. There might not always be a silver forum or easily accessible private sales. I've got years before I'm ready to cash up for retirement and am wondering what's going to be out there when I arrive. Lumping a wheelbarrow of gold to great great great grandfather Lawrence of Chads MKIV might be the only option :D 

Na you will have flogged it all for the new I phone 46 by then 

Someone will always buy it.

A pawnbroker like Ramsdens as an example will want proof of who YOU are when buying stuff. They can legitimately record they bought X off of Mr/Mrs Y. If Mr/Mrs Y acquired the item from nefarious means that is not their problem. 

Receipts are meaningless. Unless trying to take faulty electronics etc. etc. back for replacement...

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Insanity?

1 hour ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Snatch? Wasn't that the dodgy looking Jewish guys robbing diamonds with the legend that is Mike Reid fencing?

2 hours ago, SilverDrum said:

Not once has anyone asked for proof of ownership from me. With the amount of "best value" sov purchases, that don't specify the coin in any way..i'm not sure what value i'd give to that receipt if i was a dealer. Curious to hear what others say. Was this on a "High value" sale?

Just send the RM this receipt.

image.thumb.png.f27c48334a743363603537af7218d31d.png

Is kettle stacking the new thing? 🥸

More useful than a tube of silver!!!

Stack coins - no capital gains tax had to be paid, cash in upto £325k (todays values) so inheritance tax was not payable and tell 'em you inherited it or am I talking out of my a...h..e?

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

Ive had a couple of inquiries from HMRC before, one was a number of years after I had sold a rental property so whilst I still had records they were very messy.  Advice from accountant was to just send them everything and then let them figure it out, took quite a pleasure in just posting piles of disordered and messy files ☺️

7 hours ago, James32 said:

If Gold spikes you can just dump as much as you like in one hit, they may ask you where it came from to cover their ass, easy option just say bullion dealer. Never been asked for receipts to date but who knows what the future holds, but as you say we don't need dealers, just can be convenient at times.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

Stack coins - no capital gains tax had to be paid, cash in upto £325k (todays values) so inheritance tax was not payable and tell 'em you inherited it or am I talking out of my a...h..e?

Think thats why probate is a thing so yeah 😆

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I inherited the car in my avatar and brought it back from Aus, had no interest shown by anybody in "authority" I assume that once you have received an inheritance then probate has been granted, can't find any info. that says you as the receiver, has to prove that probate was granted, so inheritance tax would have been sorted under probate and if you then sell your inheritance (the gold) as long as its currency, no cgt would be payable (unlike the car possibly! 😭)

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!