• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I have a misaligned 2022 memorial sovereign issue

5 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I'm unsure. I think that idea of putting it in a square flip for reference is a good one as it's hard to perceive small rotations from a video like that.

Good idea. I’m in the dog house as we still have guests here.  Bear with me!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Hi @CazLikesCoins I have a Memorial coin and looking at it flipped, I can see what you mean. I might be wrong but I think there is a 5 - 7 degree misalignment.  

Hello, yes it's rather odd isn't it? My partner spotted it before me and we wondered about returning them for some straight bullion sovereigns at the time but on the whole decided to keep them. As long as they're not made of chocolate I don't care if they're upside and back to front lol. They're off to secure storage after the weekend so that'll be the end of it really. Hopefully no one will quibble about them being wall eyed when we come to sell them :D 

Just looked at both 2022 proof sovereigns and found no alignment issues, so we are talking about this being an affliction of the memorial bullion version? Photos show the coin in its original square holder on a flat surface each side. Looks OK to me.

I think it’s better to take alignment from the reverse initially where it’s easier to find a North/South axis, in this case the coat of arms, and then let the monarchs head take care of itself, because there are so few reference points available. I’ve often seen examples of NGC slabbed shield sovereigns seemingly a few degrees off because the monarchs head has been placed roughly in the upright position, which in turn affects the reverse. Nobody wants a wonky shield!

1C1C3597-BDB5-414E-BB46-923DD843094D.jpeg

BA9ACB52-51E4-4E61-80DB-E2CCAC1D6CF9.jpeg

16 hours ago, dicker said:

This is the best I can do after a bit of a boozy lunch.  

The best way to rotate medal alignment coins is to hold them on the edge, fingers at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, and spin it horizontally. That way you'll see very quickly whether it's a true misalignment or just a slight mis-rotation wobble when turning it over.

I regularly end up with the reverse upside-down because I have spent so long now collecting coin-alignment issues that I keep turning all my coins vertically!

Edited by SidS

I think putting coins under bright lights and magnifying glasses, especially if they're proofs with huge premiums paid to be as perfect as possible is asking for a stress induced psychosis 😅Inevitably there's a flaw and the world comes crashing down. It might be nice to have a few sovs put away for pension day but it'll take years off your life 😅

Okay, so I found a square coin holder and placed the RM capsule inside it, aligning it to the corner so that it does not shift.

The obverse is indeed several degrees off.

C81AB5B3-963C-49F5-A550-2F94AAB22370.thumb.jpeg.57d025107510b32d674d98634e18146d.jpegD5A2D287-ACFE-43A2-906B-F692BE499796.thumb.jpeg.5955aebd09fe225e3e376a917fae4270.jpeg

@LawrenceChard@BackyardBullion Have you seen anything similar with any Sovs you’ve come across?

Edited by westminstrel

On 30/03/2023 at 04:44, westminstrel said:

Okay, so I found a square coin holder and placed the RM capsule inside it, aligning it to the corner so that it does not shift.

C81AB5B3-963C-49F5-A550-2F94AAB22370.thumb.jpeg.57d025107510b32d674d98634e18146d.jpegD5A2D287-ACFE-43A2-906B-F692BE499796.thumb.jpeg.5955aebd09fe225e3e376a917fae4270.jpeg

@LawrenceChard@BackyardBullion Have you seen anything similar with any Sovs you’ve come across?

Exactly what I have seen and poorly demonstrated above.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 minutes ago, dicker said:

Exactly what I have seen and poorly demonstrated above.  

Hi Dicker, do you know how they aline the dies at the mint?   They use a pencil mark the line up the obverse and reverse dies.   You would think they would machine tool the dies in a way where it was impossible to insert the dies incorrectly.  

Are you sure you don’t have 2 separate coins in separate square holders buddy?  It looks to me that, when you were looking for your camera, the King took the opportunity to grab a quick peek at the design on the reverse of the coin above him. He was fed up hearing it’s behind you!

13 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Are you sure you don’t have 2 separate coins in separate square holders buddy?  It looks to me that, when you were looking for your camera, the King took the opportunity to grab a quick peek at the design on the reverse of the coin above him. He was fed up hearing it’s behind you!

Hahah! 😆

I will attempt the mirror method so that both the obverse and reverse are visible simultaneously.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Hahah! 😆

I will attempt the mirror method so that both the obverse and reverse are visible simultaneously.

Seriously my friend, your eye for coins and proclamation details are second to none and your dedication to TSF is much to be admired. Whereas folk like me can just occasionally sneak in and out on the forum without anybody noticing, you cannot creep away without alerting the forum guard dogs. I’d say keep up the good work but I know you will. Cheers for now.

S

37 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Seriously my friend, your eye for coins and proclamation details are second to none and your dedication to TSF is much to be admired. Whereas folk like me can just occasionally sneak in and out on the forum without anybody noticing, you cannot creep away without alerting the forum guard dogs. I’d say keep up the good work but I know you will. Cheers for now.

S

You are too kind my friend. That means a lot, and you should know you’re among the people on here who make it all worth my while. ☺️

Wonky coin! That like mine! 😮