• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Sovereign details (Gazette proclamations)

SiCole

• SiCole changed the title to 2023 Sovereign details (Gazette proclamations)

This is exciting. Forgive the ‘beginner’ question but does this mean there is no additional coronation sovereign and it’s a standard 2023 or there could still be one of those also? Thanks and appreciate this may not be known yet 👍🏼

1 minute ago, JamesH said:

This is exciting. Forgive the ‘beginner’ question but does this mean there is no additional coronation sovereign and it’s a standard 2023 or there could still be one of those also? Thanks and appreciate this may not be known yet 👍🏼

I thought there was a special design for the coronation, so this "standard" one would be in addition to it !

There will be a plain edge in addition to the usual milled edge. Apart from the strike on the day single sovereign which has had a plain edge in recent times, we have not had plain edges on 5 Sov down to Quarter Sov before (except as a pattern 2022 set). Could this be something new for this special year?

DESIGN OF THE COINS

6. The design of the said five pound, two pound, sovereign, half-sovereign and quarter-sovereign gold coins shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF” and for the reverse a depiction of St George armed, sitting on horseback, attacking a dragon with a sword, and a broken spear upon the ground, and the date of the year. The coins shall have a grained or plain edge.’

"..a depiction of St George armed, sitting on horseback, attacking a dragon with a sword, and a broken spear upon the ground, and the date of the year."

Technically this leaves it open for an alternative design like 2005 or 2012 imo, it's just not going to be a shield/Coat of Arms. 🤔

(2005 sov photo borrowed from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer(who have the best images in the industry), the "broken spear" added by an unnamed artist.)

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 6.10.45 PM.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We’re still not out of the woods yet.

The two Proclamations leave open the option for the Coronation Sovereign, and any future Sovereigns during KC III’s reign, to be either the Coat of Arms or St. George and the Dragon.

Edit: And to be grained edge or plain edge.

Edited by westminstrel

7 hours ago, Aran said:

There will be a plain edge in addition to the usual milled edge. Apart from the strike on the day single sovereign which has had a plain edge in recent times, we have not had plain edges on 5 Sov down to Quarter Sov before (except as a pattern 2022 set). Could this be something new for this special year?

DESIGN OF THE COINS

6. The design of the said five pound, two pound, sovereign, half-sovereign and quarter-sovereign gold coins shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF” and for the reverse a depiction of St George armed, sitting on horseback, attacking a dragon with a sword, and a broken spear upon the ground, and the date of the year. The coins shall have a grained or plain edge.’

In the 2022 Pattern Sovereign Set, all the Sovereign denominations were both plain edge and piedfort (double thickness).

So, yes, having plain edges on the regular thickness Sovereign denominations (other than the Sovereign itself) will be a first.

Also, there was never a Proclamation for the 2022 pattern piedfort Sovereigns because they were not meant to be legal tender. So there’s a chance the RM could do a similar set for the Coronation too, and we’ll find out only when the Mint Marque members report it. 😀

Hmm, good news I'd say for those who have the jubilee and memorial proofs as a return to tradition should see them preserve their rarity.

I'm surprised there won't be a coronation soverign, however when you really think about it, why should there be?  It's not like the mint will be short of ideas for overpriced tat to flog to the masses

I would very much like a coronation set like the more traditional sets, with 2022 being the first year for 2 proof sovereign launches and the mid year piedfort and BU I just hope the RM doesn't start a trend of minting 2 proof sets per year.   IMO I can see 2 proof sovereign in 2023.   

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 08.04.05.png

27 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I would very much like a coronation set like the more traditional sets, with 2022 being the first year for 2 proof sovereign launches and the mid year piedfort and BU I just hope the RM doesn't start a trend of minting 2 proof sets per year.   IMO I can see 2 proof sovereign in 2023.   

This would definitely be amazing!!!

It feels like tradition to have sets like these. I would also hope the Coronation sets are in cases like these rather than the standard ones. It’ll make this year’s sets feel so much more special and unique. 

On 18/03/2023 at 09:36, westminstrel said:

2022 being the first year for 2 proof sovereign launches

that happened already in 2015, with fourth and fifth obverse of QEII.

my guess is that there will be a SoTD on the 6 May (and another one to celebrate KCIII 75th birthday later on this year) with a special reverse, and a traditional 2023 Sov as part of the coronation set

6 hours ago, refero said:

that happened already in 2015, with fourth and fifth obverse of QEII.

my guess is that there will be a SoTD on the 6 May (and another one to celebrate KCIII 75th birthday later on this year) with a special reverse, and a traditional 2023 Sov as part of the coronation set

Where did that quote of my post come from? 🙂

And yes you are right, I was reminded after that post about the 2x 2015 Proof Sovereigns.

As for the Coronation SotD, I have some doubts because isn’t that day supposed to be a National holiday? How can the RM get people to work a job that’s not an essential service? 🤔 Maybe UK folks will know.

On 18/03/2023 at 04:06, GoldDiggerDave said:

That's really nice, properly classy looking.

I'm not a soverign guy but I'm starting to gain an appreciation for just how old that design is, how many other things we still have around us have that kind of history and provenance? Not just in coins but anywhere in life/design. 

I like the recent jubilee and memorial coins but they must be the exception not the rule. I'm sure that people won't be queueing up to buy regular g&d proof sets quite the same but it's essential they get back to this because that's what a soverign is supposed to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there usually a proclamation for SOTD sovereigns? There will be one on the day of the coronation surely, but perhaps a break from the usual design 

Edited by harrygill111