• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Brit Errors

dicker

I predicted a few issues with the change over of Monarchs. 

Most of the issues have seen are with the Charles and Elizabeth 1 oz Silver Brits.

- 90 degree rotation error

- Overstrike evident on ear

- Overstrike on lips

Example of another below

Has anyone else seen other examples?

Best

Dicker

FE9DC956-75AB-4402-BE09-3F10C4AEB263.jpeg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I am very curious how many defective mint products are out there so far. In my opinion, RM pushed too far its quality issues if they are calling them "mint/strike errors".

I can only imagine our @Solachesis when he will find the market flooded by rotated neck. The rumour said that John Snow from Royal Mint was "punching" one day long 500.000 silver brits with the same error. 

3 minutes ago, stefffana said:

I am very curious how many defective mint products are out there so far. In my opinion, RM pushed too far its quality issues if they are calling them "mint/strike errors".

I can only imagine our @Solachesis when he will find the market flooded by rotated neck. The rumour said that John Snow from Royal Mint was "punching" one day long 500.000 silver brits with the same error. 

Kill me.

8 hours ago, dicker said:

I predicted a few issues with the change over of Monarchs. 

Most of the issues have seen are with the Charles and Elizabeth 1 oz Silver Brits.

- 90 degree rotation error

- Overstrike on lips

Example of another below

Has anyone else seen other examples?

Best

Dicker

FE9DC956-75AB-4402-BE09-3F10C4AEB263.jpeg

Someone needs to pass Her Maj a tissue, she's making a mess whilst eating again... at least it's not the jammie doughnuts this time!

Edited by MonkeysUncle
Kan't tipe for peenuts

4 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Do you have any pics of what that looks like?

There is one for sale in the Silver For Sale Section!

14 hours ago, dicker said:

- Overstrike on lips

Isn't that mark where another coin has landed on it?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

On 13/03/2023 at 14:35, dicker said:

It's not an overstrike if you're referring to the ones artalien was selling.

It's a die clash error, where the two dies have smashed into each other without a blank inbetween them, causing at least one of the dies to be damaged. In this case, the "hexcurity" feature from the other side of the coin has been imparted onto a couple of the lower (and therefore higher on the die) areas of the obverse portrait and will have appeared on all subsequently struck coins until the damaged die was replaced.   

An overstrike is where an already struck coin is struck again and wouldn't look like that.

7 hours ago, paulmerton said:

It's not an overstrike if you're referring to the ones artalien was selling.

It's a die clash error, where the two dies have smashed into each other without a blank inbetween them, causing at least one of the dies to be damaged. In this case, the "hexcurity" feature from the other side of the coin has been imparted onto a couple of the lower (and therefore higher on the die) areas of the obverse portrait and will have appeared on all subsequently struck coins until the damaged die was replaced.   

An overstrike is where an already struck coin is struck again and wouldn't look like that.

Thanks Paul - not concentrating.  

On 14/03/2023 at 09:10, BackyardBullion said:

I have an auction on ebay now for another of the 90 degree errors

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285182691717

Wow! This auction is doing really. Well done @BackyardBullion

I found a coin with the Charles III silver Britannia ear overstrike error in my collection yesterday. Is this error more common?

11 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

Is this error more common

Your identification makes 8 of the honey error by my count. Apparently there are 25 of the rotation error. I say apparently because who actually knows.

Edited by artalien

Yeah, the die rotation error is seeming to be quite popular and dare I say a cooler error than the honeycomb variety!

£558 current bid, will it go higher!? Maybe!

This s what I know about numbers:

22 confirmed from original person that got in touch with me. 

1 confirmed from a different person who has sent me video evidence of an error coin

10 from another individual which I have been told about from a reputable source (no reason to doubt)

This means 33 at this time are known. 

The fact that there are so few confirmed sightings of them and the original customer got them in December but by February nobody else had noticed them or contacted the mint about them suggests these could be SUPER rare. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

11 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

and dare I say a cooler error than the honeycomb variety!

No accounting for taste.

11 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

This means 33 at this time are known.

As opposed to 8

I will never figure out hoomans...

52 minutes ago, artalien said:

No accounting for taste.

As opposed to 8

I will never figure out hoomans...

The "honeycomb" error just looks like typical shoddy QC to me, like serration marks. Nothing special imo, probably would just glance over them thinking it was typical royal mint bullion unless it was pointed out to me 

1 hour ago, Solachesis said:

The "honeycomb" error just looks like typical shoddy QC to me, like serration marks. Nothing special imo, probably would just glance over them thinking it was typical royal mint bullion unless it was pointed out to me 

I think it's more special than a rotation error when you appreciate how it actually happened. The coins are not damaged; the dies physically crashed into each other when they weren't meant to, and this die damage is reflected on the coins.

That has caused parts of the reverse design to literally appear on the other side of the coin! 

13 minutes ago, artalien said:

I still have one, I sold one on ebay and the other had to be cancelled as the bidder was in America, this despite making it clear UK only. So if you got a spare £500 give me a shout 👍

For what price did the one you listed on EBay sell?