• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you own perth mint gold bars Id get them XRF tested ASAP - especially if you live in China

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just an FYI In the Perth Mint they have a room on the left as you go through the main doors if you are buying / selling bullion.  

I have bought a few cast bars there over the years and they have an XRF machine that they check all gold they buying with.

I always ask them to XRF the cast bars I buy even though they are new from the PM and they gave me some nice print outs.  Just something that is useful if you are buying at the PM.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Without clicking your link, what I remember when I first heard about this, China took issue with the secondary metals present in the gold, not the gold's actual purity.  If memory serves, the gold was indeed .9999 pure but the miniscule trace metals present contained more silver where copper was expected. 

There was more to the story regarding Perth's inital response to this, but as a regular customer I would not be concerned.  Go ahead and get your Perth mint gold tested if you really feel the need, but I believe the whole story is a bit overblown.

They make it appear as if the Perth Mint gambled its reputation for a few hundred thousand bucks. Really?

They were extremely careful with the dilution so that it went undetected for 3 years, too low to be fraud, but juuuuust enough to affect the eligibility of the bars for the Shangai Exchange.

Almost like they were ordered to throw a wrench in the Shangai Exchange's gears.

I'm seeing less fraud and more sabotage..

Edited by JohnA1
fix typo

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

From my understanding, the gold is 99.99% pure as per industry standards for regular bullion buyers like us.

The contention here is about what metal / element has been used for the X portion of the 99.99X and it is this portion that has apparently not met the standard that the Shanghai Exchange expected.

So regular buyers like us have no need to test gold if bought directly from the Perth Mint, as they have sold exactly the four 9s purity gold which they have advertised. It is the same purity as Royal Mint gold.

For that matter, none of us really know or care what is used for the X potion of Royal Mint’s 99.99X gold.

54 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

From my understanding, the gold is 99.99% pure as per industry standards for regular bullion buyers like us.

The contention here is about what metal / element has been used for the X portion of the 99.99X and it is this portion that has apparently not met the standard that the Shanghai Exchange expected.

So regular buyers like us have no need to test gold if bought directly from the Perth Mint, as they have sold exactly the four 9s purity gold which they have advertised. It is the same purity as Royal Mint gold.

For that matter, none of us really know or care what is used for the X potion of Royal Mint’s 99.99X gold.

Here here.. as long as I get the 99.9% or greater, they can use cheese for the rest.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 hours ago, JohnA1 said:

They make it appear as if the Perth Mint gambled its reputation for a few hundred thousand bucks. Really?

They were extremely careful with the dilution so that it went undetected for 3 years, too low to be fraud, but juuuuust enough to affect the eligibility of the bars for the Shangai Exchange.

Almost like they were ordered to throw a wrench in the Shangai Exchange's gears.

I'm seeing less fraud and more sabotage..

100+ tons of perfectly viable good delivery bars that are just out of compliance with Chinese specifications so they can't be traded in Chinese markets - outstanding.

It's a conspiracy theory that I'd consider giving air time to - the Australian government is very much less than whelmed at Chinese interference in Australian domestic politics and trade, and Canberra views China as a significant medium-long term threat.  The Australian spook services have been banging on about this for years and you can see see the meme making inroads into Australian domestic politics.  Even New Zealand is coming under pressure to move away from dependence on China and smarten up their armed forces, which have famously been neglected for half a century or more.  Ganking Chinese attempts to control regional gold trade is kinda thinking outside the box but it's something I could see the Aussies doing, especially as they're big players in that racket themselves. 

As conspiracy theories go, this one is less tinfoil hat than many.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 minute ago, Silverlocks said:

Canberra views China as a significant medium-long term threat. 

They might have, but not necessarily anymore. There's a big difference between Liberal and Labor government ruling in Canberra. You may recall Victoria's Premier Dan Andrews (Labor) signing OBOR pact with China without the Morrison (Liberal) govt consent at Federal level. 🤷‍♂️ Not to mention Penelope Ying-Yen Wong currently sitting as Minister of Foreign Affairs.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If this story is really a nothing burger and all the gold bars are 99.99 purity, then why would "In the same week as this crisis was unfolding behind closed doors at the Perth Mint, it was announced that Mr Hayes (then CEO) would be retiring early due to illness." 

IMHO, I think there is more information that hasn't been made public. So we have heard half-truths. Or lying by omission.

I suspect the SGE may has kept a tight lip to save face for not spotting the problem earlier. The real story may even ruin the reputation of the SGE and the Perth Mint. So the story has been downplayed for obvious reasons.

it’s a big deal for the two parties involved, however, nothing really for anyone else. It’s all about purity and standards with one party expecting different standards to everyone else and it would appear not checking correctly at the time.

On 08/03/2023 at 07:25, MetalMandible said:

Without clicking your link, what I remember when I first heard about this, China took issue with the secondary metals present in the gold, not the gold's actual purity.  If memory serves, the gold was indeed .9999 pure but the miniscule trace metals present contained more silver where copper was expected. 

There was more to the story regarding Perth's inital response to this, but as a regular customer I would not be concerned.  Go ahead and get your Perth mint gold tested if you really feel the need, but I believe the whole story is a bit overblown.

Exactly this, except instead of a bit overblown, I'd say very overblown.

The picture this article uses seems to suggest the bars are filled with tungsten or lead, which is very dishonest and to the casual viewer of the webpage would give you completely the wrong idea. It's only when you read the story you see it's more of a non issue and nothing as serious as the picture suggests. The thread title is a bit alarmist as well, if I may say so.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers.

Yeah, to me it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup. It's gold Jim, just not as we know it. Or rather not quite how the Chinese wanted it.

The burning question to my mind is why the heck didn't the Chinese test it sooner as I assume this lit has been delivered over a period of time.

Anyhow, if the Chinese are so upset about it they can give it me. I will be positively delighted about it! 😊

It seems some of you guys didn't read the article I linked upthread so quoting the main message from it for you:

The Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE) on Wednesday backed Perth Mint in denying that the Australian processor had sold it "doped" gold bars 

So SGE said there was no such problem. Of course, they may just be saying that to the public and work with the PM on solving the problem behind the closed doors anyway, but the whole story just does not make sense and I would be inclined to believe there's no problem with the bars - neither regarding .9999 gold content, nor the composition of the remaining .0001.

Morning edit: found these additional details on the matter:

The doping, also known as alloying, sought to maximise value the mint by reducing the purity of bullion from 99.996 per cent to 99.992 per cent 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/western-australia/premier-breaks-silence-claims-he-had-no-knowledge-of-gold-doping-at-perth-mint/news-story/5353a909bad9fde795d7dd830517c2ed

So in fact, anybody purchasing .9999 gold from the Perth Mint gets .00002 to .00006 gold for free! 🙂

Edited by CollectForFun

So no need to short sell the kangaroos then?😄

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”