• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Coronation King Charles III and Queen Camilla Gold Sovereign

Midasfrog

19 minutes ago, MilkSpot said:

Also, how accurate is the "total availability" trick on the RM's website? (That is: right-click, select View Source then search for "totalavailable" and it gives you a number.) It seems to be accurate as when you increase the number of items in your basket it can't go beyond that number (but it can if you just type the number in rather than clicking the buttons). It suggests there are 191 2023 bullion Coronation double sovereigns left (in capsule, don't know how many blister packs). Is this possibly true? Very limited if so.

The bullion Sovs aren't limited mintages, they'll make as many as possible up until around January 2024 when the new one comes out. That'll be what's currently available to sell on the site, but will be topped up periodically as new batches are minted.

7 hours ago, Zhorro said:

These Five Sovereign Pieces are usually Matte - well, at least they have been since about 2019.  I noticed last year they stopped making a big thing about it being Matte.  Maybe phone to confirm?

However, they are expensive.  When I bought the 2019 one it was £1,940, and now the 2023 one is over a £1,000 more!

But it is important to collect what you will enjoy owning.

Premiums are getting ridiculous. Also simply so many "special" coins for Charles already.

IMO, 99% will be better off with double the gold in weight through bullion coronation coins instead.

Edited by Timberwolf

Assuming that the scratch/abrasion is definitely on the coin and not the capsule, I'd contact them via their customer services team and ask for a replacement.  Send a photo of the coin showing the flaw in enough detail for them to have to agree with you.

Regarding the number available - I suspect that's just how many they have in stock at the moment, rather than anything to do with a mintage limit.  They will be unlimited by number, just by time.  But given that it may only remain available to order from the RM exclusively, this will have a downward effect on the number they ultimately make and sell.

Same with the Memorial bullion double.  

Edited by Stuntman

12 hours ago, NGMD said:

I’m really struggling with this one. I have variety of Coronation coins and thought the upcoming 5 sov on its own was for me. Then I misread it and it’s just uncirculated. I think I’d prefer a gold 1oz coronation and 3 bullion for the price.

A weird decision not to make it proof or even Matte. Disappointed if I’m honest.

Thoughts?

IMG_0259.jpeg

This is why the 5 coin proof set is so talked about. It’s the only way to get the 5sov. An also the 4/5 coin sets are the only way to get the 2 Sov. The rest of the coins are just bonuses. All the value is in the 5 and to a lesser extend the 2. Esp if you get a pf70. 

I still very much like the Bu 5 Sov though. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

16 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

This is why the 5 coin proof set is so talked about. It’s the only way to get the 5sov. An also the 4/5 coin sets are the only way to get the 2 Sov. The rest of the coins are just bonuses. All the value is in the 5 and to a lesser extend the 2. Esp if you get a pf70. 

I still very much like the Bu 5 Sov though. 

Only getting a 5 Proof sovereign in a set helps keep the value high.

Almost 3k for literally bullion coin ‘matte’. Applying the matte surface finish also covers minor manufacturing defects. I’m just not feeling it. That being said, I’m the sucker who paid for the Coronation 1oz proof😄 That’s a beauty though.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

3 hours ago, NGMD said:

Only getting a 5 Proof sovereign in a set helps keep the value high.

Almost 3k for literally bullion coin ‘matte’. Applying the matte surface finish also covers minor manufacturing defects. I’m just not feeling it. That being said, I’m the sucker who paid for the Coronation 1oz proof😄 That’s a beauty though.

The striking standard and finish on these Brilliant Uncirculated 5 sovereign coins is a considerable step up above the bullion striking standard and finish.  I agree with whoever said earlier that the Brilliant Uncirculated matt finish coins are of a similar quality to the matt proof coins.

I have some matt BU 5 sov coins and some non-matt BU 5 sov coins.  The quality and finish on all of them is very nice indeed, particularly the 2017 and 2018 coins.  Agree that they are now somewhat expensive though.

2 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

Both 2023 britannias.

Haven't seen a side by side so thought I would make one.

Here you can see the subtle differences, main difference being the border, but also a change to plainer styled text.

Will this be a 2023 only obverse design? Interestingly and perhaps an oversight, the britannia reverse on the crowned charles has an old style border

20230710_191709.jpg

Yo!!!??? Where’s the castelation???? Other than that .. looks the same tbh. 

Aaaahhh😉

Just now, Agaupl said:

Yo!!!??? Where’s the castelation???? Other than that .. looks the same tbh. 

Still has it on the reverse! Only plain on top. The text is plainer, you can tell if you look closely. Compare the I's and you'll see

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

1 minute ago, Upsidedown said:

Still has it on the reverse! Only plain on top. The text is plainer, you can tell if you look closely. Compare the I's and you'll see

Just another example of the degradation of modern society.  Nice photos though 😉

Aaaahhh😉

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

They are not even facing the same way, can the royal mint not get nothing right these days........ ggrrrrhhhhhh ;)

At least they don't have milk spots YET

You might think it's not possible but RM will find a way 😁😜

29 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

Both 2023 britannias.

Haven't seen a side by side so thought I would make one.

Here you can see the subtle differences, main difference being the border, but also a change to plainer styled text.

Will this be a 2023 only obverse design? Interestingly and perhaps an oversight, the britannia reverse on the crowned charles has an old style border

20230710_191709.jpg

The different text and missing castellations is simply because they've used the same obverse die as the coronation coins to save making a new one.

The one on the left doesn't have an "old style" border, as I'd expect it to return on next year's britannias.

Just now, paulmerton said:

The different text and missing castellations is simply because they've used the same obverse die as the coronation coins to save making a new one.

The one on the left doesn't have an "old style" border, as I'd expect it to return on next year's britannias.

This is what I'm thinking too, makes sense why the reverse still has the castellations if they don't plan to remove it moving forward.

Shame really as I quite like the plain look

6 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

This is what I'm thinking too, makes sense why the reverse still has the castellations if they don't plan to remove it moving forward.

Shame really as I quite like the plain look

The only other year I'm aware of was 2014 when they made some britannias with the obverse die of the lunar year of the horse coin, but that was obviously a mistake :D 

8 hours ago, MilkSpot said:

I bought a 2023 bullion Double Coronation Sovereign but it's got a scratch and an abrasion.

I assumed the Royal Mint would take extra care as it's only available to buy from their website and nowhere else. It also comes in a capsule, not loose (maybe this is the case with all RM bullion coins).

I'm sending it back - what are the chances they'll replace it?

Also, how accurate is the "total availability" trick on the RM's website? (That is: right-click, select View Source then search for "totalavailable" and it gives you a number.) It seems to be accurate as when you increase the number of items in your basket it can't go beyond that number (but it can if you just type the number in rather than clicking the buttons). It suggests there are 191 2023 bullion Coronation double sovereigns left (in capsule, don't know how many blister packs). Is this possibly true? Very limited if so.

jjj.jpg

Its bullion, don't expect perfection as these are not high premium coins. They are struck once and many will be struck until the 2024 design comes out. If it was a proof or Brilliant Uncirculated coin then I would be returning expecting the higher quality finish. But its bought for one reason only, to be gold for use as storage of wealth to hedge inflation or use as your personal bank to avoid taxation. I would just keep it as the purpose is to stack them and not collect them. You can buy another compared to buying a proof coin and maybe the other will be of a better quality. 

55 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

At least they don't have milk spots YET

You might think it's not possible but RM will find a way 😁😜

It would be a total bummer to start getting spots on 9999 fine gold, even if its not milk spots getting copper spots on the highest level of purity gold can get (unless you consider 99999 fine gold not the same due to all it is is a recurring decimal figure and you could put as many 9's as possible but it still won't be 100%) still it's possible to get spots 

4 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

It would be a total bummer to start getting spots on 9999 fine gold, even if its not milk spots getting copper spots on the highest level of purity gold can get (unless you consider 99999 fine gold not the same due to all it is is a recurring decimal figure and you could put as many 9's as possible but it still won't be 100%) still it's possible to get spots 

9999 fine is pure enough that I'd be questioning the authenticity of the coin if it started to copper spot

13 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

9999 fine is pure enough that I'd be questioning the authenticity of the coin if it started to copper spot

I've got a little bit on my queens beast completer and that was from the mint. I would imagine that's a pretty legit supplier 

Just now, apachebleu said:

I've got a little bit on my queens beast completer and that was from the mint. I would imagine that's a pretty legit supplier 

Wow really? I wouldn't have thought 1 part in 1000 would be enough to spot

2 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

Wow really? I wouldn't have thought 1 part in 1000 would be enough to spot

Me neither, its very small, I couldn't guess at what percent of a percent of the surface it is never mind the weight of the affected area compared to the ounce of the coin. When you consider it that way, a tiny flake on a big, thick coin it is possible. Thankfully rare.

It's annoying but it's one coin in the stack, albeit a favourite, I will probably get it restored at some point.

3 hours ago, Upsidedown said:

Actually I have seen 1oz 99.99 gold US buffalo bullion coins in original packaging with copper spots. They’re not so uncommon on “pure gold”.

On 14/06/2023 at 13:12, paulmerton said:

This is the double. I have no words. This coin has obviously been mishandled before being chucked in a capsule without checking it.

image.thumb.png.435fd0d9debb1a4f3a9379c06323da7b.png

Just got a call from RM to say that they will replace just the half sov in this 4-coin set. No mention of the double sov that had these marks on, so I can only assume they thought this was acceptable even after inspecting the returned set.

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Just got a call from RM to say that they will replace just the half sov in this 4-coin set. No mention of the double sov that had these marks on, so I can only assume they thought this was acceptable even after inspecting the returned set.

Maybe they don't have any doubles left?