• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Coronation King Charles III and Queen Camilla Gold Sovereign

Midasfrog

3 hours ago, Paul said:

HI30286_0.jpg?v=1689092118

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g100p/

Just looking up, there are x131 graded as a PF70 

It also looks like this is the first time a £100/1oz gold has been done in a reverse proof

Last gold reverse proofs to be done were the Queens Beasts 1/4s  

So they certainly don't do them very often in gold 

Usual price for a RM 1oz gold at RRP is £2,770  - so looking at a paying an additional +£480 premium for a graded PF70 for this reverse at £3250

Anybody taking a leap of faith and purchasing ???

Hi Paul. Can you remember if the 2023 Britannia gold reverse proof set with the 1oz came out before this one? Cheers.

31 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

Well, the 1/4oz arrived in the mail this morning. Imo I'm really liking the design more now. While it'd not everyone's cup of tea having KCIII one their money, well its personal choice. 

20230714_143745.jpg

It’s a really nice design. I got the silver 1 ounce and I may pick up gold 1/10 next pay period. 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g100p/

It also looks like this is the first time a £100/1oz gold has been done in a reverse proof

Usual price for a RM 1oz gold at RRP is £2,770  - so looking at a paying an additional +£480 premium for a graded PF70 for this reverse at £3250

I really would love to, but the way the RM have been abusing ‘specials’ of the coronation I think it could lose to much value. I have the sovereign proof and 1oz Coronation Gold Proof already with @GoldDiggerDave and have to draw the line somewhere. Or not.How much are they again FOMO strikes?😁

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

51 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

Well, the 1/4oz arrived in the mail this morning. Imo I'm really liking the design more now. While it'd not everyone's cup of tea having KCIII one their money, well its personal choice. 

20230714_143745.jpg

Nice, got mine coming tomorrow.

I really love this coin looks really nice in person and in the gold, got the 1 oz version already

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Never mind FOMO. I am loving the JOMO right now. (Joy of missing out). I don’t have enough Victoria coins in my life…….

So many bargains to be had when " the eyes are off the prize"

7 hours ago, Paul said:

im going to have a good think about it over the weekend, again strongly considering it but cant really afford it 

Nor can I really. Now I’m going to sell some boring gold bars. This money was going to a pre graded £5 sovereign but now this has turned my head. 

Aaaahhh😉

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Not me. I think the RM has gone way too far with the Coronation specials at this point. There’s a limit. There was a time when something special was genuinely special. Not anymore. You can’t have 10 variations of something special with limited mintages of 100 or 200. That just means there are 1000 to 2000 versions out there and everything ceases to be unique.

These just aren’t going to do well imo; not now, nor in 50 years.

I have stayed away from the entire Coronation range save for the Sovereign (and even this has been overdone!) as it’s the quintessential coin of the monarch. Everything else just seems like fluff now.

Remember that it’s only July. The 2023 definitive sets are yet to come, and who knows what they’ll do there?!

I think at this point we are better off buying Coronation bullion coins.

Oh they have milked it until more than dry. No doubt. Same with the range of mediocre memorial coins. But there are some stunning designs in there and this is one of them. I’m not great at picking proof winners so I just buy what I like as a collector. Most of the coronation coins probably will disappear into the ether tbh but this is a classic design imho. 
They’ve pushed the sovereign especially (with the possible sotd 75th birthday too). Hopefully they don’t do anything else for at least 5-10 years  

Id love to know what extra revenue they pulled in over the last 18 mths. With the extra coins I’m not surprised if itself caused a spike in M2 and 1% inflation !😆

Aaaahhh😉

On 07/07/2023 at 12:48, xthomasx said:

So far, no quarter and double bullion sovs are listed anywhere, just full and half.

Yes, it looks like virtually impossible to find double sovereigns from German/EU dealers, as the RM sell them exclusively. No sign of Coronation Doubles so far from anybody.

But auragentum has Memorial double in blister, although with hefty premium.

https://auragentum.de/2-pfund-goldmuenze-double-memorial-sovereign-king-charles-2022-in-blister?c=483

Also they have Elisabeth 2022 Double, with price seems to be reasonable.

https://auragentum.de/2-pfund-goldmuenze-double-sovereign-elisabeth-2022-?c=483

So, who knows, maybe they will have some Coronation Doubles as well, also I will keep an eye at gold.de relevant page (in fact auragentum presented there as well)

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/goldmuenzen/sovereign/

5 minutes ago, ak74 said:

Yes, it looks like virtually impossible to find double sovereigns from German/EU dealers, as the RM sell them exclusively. No sign of Coronation Doubles so far from anybody.

But auragentum has Memorial double in blister, although with hefty premium.

https://auragentum.de/2-pfund-goldmuenze-double-memorial-sovereign-king-charles-2022-in-blister?c=483

Also they have Elisabeth 2022 Double, with price seems to be reasonable.

https://auragentum.de/2-pfund-goldmuenze-double-sovereign-elisabeth-2022-?c=483

So, who knows, maybe they will have some Coronation Doubles as well, also I will keep an eye at gold.de relevant page (in fact auragentum presented there as well)

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/goldmuenzen/sovereign/

At least you can buy Sovereigns at a higher premium unlike my attempts a buying from Geiger de.They have no UK distribution and advised me to buy from America.

Love their products but their arrogance and laziness is a shame.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Is the reverse proof only available to mint marquee customers?  My rep did not mention it (saves me from temptation, she did however get me a SOTD…..)

Edited by Sc391

1 hour ago, Sc391 said:

Is the reverse proof only available to mint marquee customers?  My rep did not mention it (saves me from temptation)

So the 2oz reverse proof was offered only to Mint Marque customers around the time of the Coronation.

The new 1oz reverse proof is seemingly a Sovereign Rarities exclusive and not being sold by the RM directly to customers (afaik).

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So the 2oz reverse proof was offered only to Mint Marque customers around the time of the Coronation.

The new 1oz reverse proof is seemingly a Sovereign Rarities exclusive and not being sold by the RM directly to customers (afaik).

And mostly pre graded by the looks of it. When so many are pre graded and so many pf70 on a 200 ish mintage, does it make grading de rigueur or pointless?🤔

im happy for a slab .. but why pay £400 odd extra when there are 140 or so coins graded already. 🤷‍♂️

Aaaahhh😉

4 hours ago, NGMD said:

unlike my attempts a buying from Geiger de.They have no UK distribution and advised me to buy from America.

Love their products but their arrogance and laziness is a shame.

Sadly, there are in fact quite a few German dealers (and actually this is the case not only for precious metals, but for other online stores as well), who ship only within Germany 🥴 I saw somewhere a reason stated like smth about German Law and VAT, what is hard to believe, as at the same time many German dealers distribute freely within EU, w/o any additional customs charges of course. And as I am located in Austria, for those German internet-stores not willing to ship here, I sometimes use mail-forwarding service company 🤪

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

By releasing this 1oz reverse proof the RM has essentially screwed over the people who bought the 2oz thinking it was the only reverse proof. That’s just not nice. 

The 2oz was a pretend reverse proof...........it's  a Matt BU nothing wrong   with matt BU but it's impossible to say it was reverse proof when 100% of the coin was frosted.   It could only be regarded as a reverse proof if the original 2oz was 100% unfrosted it wasn't. I'm not doing a hatchet job of the matt 2oz as it's a great coin, it's just not  a reverse proof coin.  Think the COA even states this coin is a Matt proof?.......I would love a separate debate on how would they would actually differentiate from a matte BU and a matte proof  product as matte BU coins are effectively proof coins.

Said at the time it looks like the RM had done a proof run and then just sandblasted the die at the end to produce a 100% frosted matt coin, and a reverse proof would have taken a completely re work of the die.

Ultimately just buy what you like, I'm a massive fan of reverse proof gold coins, would like to see a reverse proof sovereign at some point.

I'd love to see a side by side of the proof, matt BU 2oz, and the reverse proof  coronation. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Thanks for that insight and reminder @Paul. I had forgotten that the 2oz was not reverse proof but a matte proof coin.

Uhh, if they had done these in 1/4oz size, I’d have been compelled to get all three versions because of my ocd which makes me a bit of a completist.

By the way the link isn’t working once again. Sovereign Rarities seemed to have only 1 in stock yesterday.

Edited by westminstrel

17 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

These are what the 2oz gold coronation should have been a real reverse proof. 

IMG_9587.jpeg

IMG_9586.jpeg

The more I see it the more I like it. I’m a fan of (total sucker for) reverse proofs and the intricacy on the reverse is amazing. Being pedantic I’d have liked to see the field of the cypher and 3Cs mirrored. Or the rim. But probably technically impossible. Apologies as I’ve entered full geek out mode now.  😐

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉