• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Coronation King Charles III and Queen Camilla Gold Sovereign

Midasfrog

1 minute ago, JamesH said:

I really just want to like when the bullion Sov is available to buy. Not sure if that’s been shared and I’ve missed it or if that’s just not headline enough vs proof coins

If it is "just" a G&D design, is it not worth snapping up the memorials whilst theyre out and not silly premium as they will command more in the future being a special design?

1 minute ago, SiCole said:

If it is "just" a G&D design, is it not worth snapping up the memorials whilst theyre out and not silly premium as they will command more in the future being a special design?

Quite possibly. I’ve got lots already so I guess it’s just boredom and wanting to pick up the next one. I also see it as more than just a G&D. I’m actually a bit excited about picking up a CIII G&D. Maybe I’ll just keep picking up back catalogue QV/QEII Sovs in that case 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, SiCole said:

1 minute ago, JamesH said:

Quite possibly. I’ve got lots already so I guess it’s just boredom and wanting to pick up the next one. I also see it as more than just a G&D. I’m actually a bit excited about picking up a CIII G&D. Maybe I’ll just keep picking up back catalogue QV/QEII Sovs in that case 👍🏼

i see the memorials and jubilee sovereigns have slid in price since, hoover up as many graded 70s as you can at the moment while there's Coronation distractions happening for the next 3-6 months and folks eyes are off these classics of the future 

11 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I really just want to like when the bullion Sov is available to buy. Not sure if that’s been shared and I’ve missed it or if that’s just not headline enough vs proof coins

5 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I think they're all worth snapping up (as you can) at the lowest premium possible, in release order. I agree though that the first CIII G&D after the jubilee and memorial may be an opportunity, as some folks will be 'all Sovereigned out' when the time comes. Only time will tell :)

16 hours ago, BOOLIAN said:

t3_9_sf_dt_1200x600_coronation-ounce-design.thumb.jpg.1960edf08d6e83f6ff8a11f04dac42e9.jpg

I think that the ounce coin design is a winner

Really like this design just feel it's let down by the obverse, the crown just looks odd, any guess at the release price?

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

to the collectors of old coins - was anything launched in gold for the 1953 QEII Coronation ?

My little google look about didn't spring anything up easily 

Any links or help ??

26 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

Really like this design just feel it's let down by the obverse, the crown just looks odd, any guess at the release price?

I think the portrait looks alright, but it does look like they've just slapped a vectored image over the top of the existing portrait (because they have)

In terms of the pricing, here:

image.thumb.png.80b9ba68b9d53cec2b6c33571a03aa3b.png

(Source: https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/press-centre/royal-mint-reveal-celebratory-coronation-range-ahead-of-the-coronation-on-6-may/)

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

to the collectors of old coins - was anything launched in gold for the 1953 QEII Coronation ?

My little google look about didn't spring anything up easily 

Any links or help ??

Yes, there was Elizabeth II Gold-  First Coinage all Gold- Sovereigns- produced for ‘institutional collecting’.   Realistically, these Sovereigns are never going to come to market.  
Reference: Spink, 2023 ‘Coins of England’ 

533585E9-2B74-4F31-88CC-745B313A3820.thumb.jpeg.a8891e4062cefea08d3382919a84fcc2.jpeg

The smart collector among us bagged the 1953 dated Proof Gillick Portrait depicted on the South Africa Gold issues 😉  

22806380-8A3C-43F3-9943-5A8876E02AAE.thumb.jpeg.48e4918190712a677b60b51184c0d2b6.jpeg

Edited by richatthecroft

3 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Yes, there was Elizabeth II Gold-  First Coinage all Gold- Sovereigns- produced for ‘institutional collecting’.   Realistically, these Sovereigns are never going to come to market.  
Reference: Spink, 2023 ‘Coins of England’ 

533585E9-2B74-4F31-88CC-745B313A3820.thumb.jpeg.a8891e4062cefea08d3382919a84fcc2.jpeg

The smart collector among us bagged the 1953 dated Proof Gillick Portrait depicted on the South Africa Gold issues 😉  

22806380-8A3C-43F3-9943-5A8876E02AAE.thumb.jpeg.48e4918190712a677b60b51184c0d2b6.jpeg

Many thanks Richard - much appreciated 

45 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Exited about the designs. Which size of the sovereign coins is most sought in general? What about proof versions?

The basic sovereign is usually the most popular, followed by the quintuple (five sovereign piece) if you can afford it.  The proof sovereign and sets are due out sometime after the Coronation.

hhmmmmmmmmmmmm choices choices

Might consider taking a punt on the gold £5 (mintage 500) or the 2oz gold (300 mintage) Mintages are not crazy daft high

Both suitably weighty and within my budget with Royal Mint 0% interest free "tick"

But lots and lots of coins for the essentially the same thing

From that press release i count x18 different varieties of differences metals, shapes, sizes and budgets 

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

hhmmmmmmmmmmmm choices choices

Might consider taking a punt on the gold £5 (mintage 500) or the 2oz gold (300 mintage) Mintages are not crazy daft high

Both suitably weighty and within my budget with Royal Mint 0% interest free "tick"

But lots and lots of coins for the essentially the same thing

From that press release i count x18 different varieties of differences metals, shapes, sizes and budgets 

word of warning regarding mintages.

The British Monarchs gold proof 1oz coins have a LED OF 100.

Check out the NGC census and you will find that several hundreds have been graded of each coin in the series.

The same may occur with the coronation releases.

2 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

word of warning regarding mintages.

The British Monarchs gold proof 1oz coins have a LED OF 100.

Check out the NGC census and you will find that several hundreds have been graded of each coin in the series.

The same may occur with the coronation releases.

The Monarchs series are different though. They did this collaboration with Heritage Auction who could sell hundreds, while from Royal Mint you could get max 100, hence the limited presentation of 100 but max mintage of 610

1 hour ago, BOOLIAN said:

I think the portrait looks alright, but it does look like they've just slapped a vectored image over the top of the existing portrait (because they have)

In terms of the pricing, here:

image.thumb.png.80b9ba68b9d53cec2b6c33571a03aa3b.png

(Source: https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/press-centre/royal-mint-reveal-celebratory-coronation-range-ahead-of-the-coronation-on-6-may/)

Thanks for that, didn't spot it trawling through RM site, not the easiest to navigate sometimes!

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

7 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

Thanks for that, didn't spot it trawling through RM site, not the easiest to navigate sometimes!

To be fair, I don't think it was meant to be there as it has since been removed.

Just now, BOOLIAN said:

To be fair, I don't think it was meant to be there as it has since been removed.

Explains why I can't find it 🙂 interested in the gold oz but getting pricey! trying to concentrate on stacking but getting side tracked 😭

7 hours ago, refero said:

why nothing is said about the Sotd sovereign?

As I mentioned in another comment - the tables they did provide weren't even meant to be there as they were removed after. I wouldn't read too much into why the strike on the day was missing from it, as it was obviously just a mistake all around.

Scratch that, maybe there is a method to their madness. See Paul's comment below.

Edited by BOOLIAN

25 minutes ago, BOOLIAN said:

As I mentioned in another comment - the tables they did provide weren't even meant to be there as they were removed after. I wouldn't read too much into why the strike of the day was missing from it, as it was obviously just a mistake all around.

I expect it's because the SOTD sovereign won't be going on sale on the 24th.

6 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I expect it's because the SOTD sovereign won't be going on sale on the 24th.

Ah, yeah - that's true. I forgot that they're doing three separate collection releases for one bloody event. Nice one!