• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Question about 2022 memorial 5 sov quality

Touvex

Hello all,

was very excited - and scared - as always when a new RM shipment comes in…

unfortunately the time there is a bit of problem.

The 5 sov has a lot of uniform lines across the field - kind of like die polish marks from older proofs… but this is new and I doubt they polish the die still?

hard to photograph but it’s all over the field and very uniform so I took photos with different angles showing different spots.

I know a lot of problem conserve on moderns - so was wondering if anyone had this with other modern coins from RM that either graded 70 or conserved to be 70?

maybe @GoldDiggerDave and @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions as I know you guys grade a lot.

should I try and grade or just straight back to RM blind QC people?

thanks in advance!

BFA1BE2A-F228-4B90-B4AE-F91315C39CF2.jpeg

CA78B281-F00A-49BE-8C49-D092BB4485D1.jpeg

A2F33DF2-58AB-42F4-B731-B6B166CBBF23.jpeg

1095833F-65C3-49A0-ABFC-6D46F76211DC.jpeg

Thoughts

1 If you are paying a honking premium for a 5 coin proof set and theres the slightest  issue you have every right to ask for a replacement. The problem comes with the good old RM can't or won't get you a replacement and its faster and easier to make the problem go way by giving you a refund......I'm the veteran when it comes to this scenario.

2, it utterly pains me to see coins straight  out of the mint that need conserving, I've had loads of 1/4's like this and a few half that I have conserved without too much effort. 

3. the jubilees had the same greasy, flaky pickup on the surfaces and they graded very well, only the odd one out of 100's got a 69 or less so there was a remarkable hit rate.

4, would i personally risk it, thats a hard question on the £5 a full or smaller than yes I'd just conserve first then also submit with conservation just as an added precaution, the £5 is where all the real profit/future stored value is so its a very difficult one to try and swallow if it comes back a 69.  

I'm conserving some more  2022 proof memorial sovereigns this week with the same greasy marks I'll show you some before and after.........

This is just a few coins I've done,  good to see the copper spot gone from the surface of the coin.  

28 minutes ago, Touvex said:

The 5 sov has a lot of uniform lines across the field - kind of like die polish marks from older proofs… but this is new and I doubt they polish the die still?

This is showing how they polish coins. It was very interesting being in the polishing room on the VIP mint tour. They let you hold die's, the wood and the diamond compound. Really is amazing how old the technique is. 

78av.gif

@GoldDiggerDave - thanks for the insights, always surprised what conservation can do, hence asking the question here. On reflection, given its a premium product, i think i will send it back and try for a replacement, wish me luck!

@SilverDrum - great video, amazing how they can get the mirror finish from hand polishing.

40 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

All the best mate don't let the RM palm you off with a refund.  The other dance you will have to do now is send the full set back they won't just swap one coin so you run the gauntlet they when they set comes back there might be others with issues but considering  its the £5 you have issue with you really don't have a choice.  If you are sending back and have a very clean 1/4 have a chat with @Charliemouse he might want to do a swap before you send it back because his 1/4 is awful......Might  as well send a complete box of c rap back to the mint curtesy of TSF. 

Thanks, unfortunately my quarter is also bad, it has 2/3 pin p**** spots on the obverse... i was going to let that go if 5 sov was submit worthy...

22 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

All the best mate don't let the RM palm you off with a refund.   @Charliemouse

I wanted to ask how you counter this Dave? I've seen two cases already where the RM is saying sorry, no replacement available. Send back for a refund or keep it. How do you compel them to give you a fresh set?

Apologies, it won't let me untag Charlie! 

Edited by BiigT

Why should there be a greasy smudge in the first place? Somebody been down the chippy.

Just now, Touvex said:

Quick update, i've sent it back today - wish me luck guys!

🤞

The only thing i can think of is diamond polish residue, an actual greasy finger from a worker, or oils in the compressed air machine they blast the blank with before minting. 

From actually going and seeing the whole process in person, it's a wonder they screw it up! Looks like they give attention to detail from being there. I really enjoyed seeing how they are made, everyone i met was seemingly passionate. I even made my own proof coin on the same machines, came out great! 

78av.gif