• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Gold - New BBC drama starting Sunday 12th February

Foster88

16 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I thought this might be of interest here on the forum, for those who haven’t seen the adverts, a new drama starts next Sunday called The Gold about a 1983 robbery of three tonnes of gold in London.

Some of you might even remember it at the time. Here’s the trailer and no I don’t work for the BBC. 😆

I just thought it might be of interest to my fellow TSF members as it does look like it could be a good series.

Now, what would you do with three tonnes of gold….

Good thinking, I heard and saw something about it a few days ago.

My wife said I would enjoy laughing at it when they pick up and throw around gold bars as if they were made of plastic or aluminium.

The Official Trailer picture is a great example. It is the size and shape of a London Good Delivey bar +-400 ounces / 12.5 kilos, but with unrealistically polished sides. The actor is holding it as if it weighs next to nothing.

Also the bars in the robbery were all reported to be kilo bars I think, and the bar in the picture is much bigger than a kilo!

This is worth reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink's-Mat_robbery

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

My wife said I would enjoy laughing at it when they pick up and throw around gold bars as if they were made of plastic or aluminium.

The Official Trailer picture is a great example. It is the size and shape of a London Good Delivey bar +-400 ounces / 12.5 kilos, but with unrealistically polished sides. The actor is holding it as if it weighs next to nothing.

Also the bars in the robbery were all reported to be kilo bars I think, and that is much bigger than a kilo!

😎

Yeah, but three tons, is three tons! Allegedly they were going after something else and the gold was there, which then leads onto how they didn’t have a clue initially on how to dispose of it🤔

2 hours ago, Petra said:

Yeah, but three tons, is three tons! Allegedly they were going after something else and the gold was there, which then leads onto how they didn’t have a clue initially on how to dispose of it🤔

Correct.  Hence they only had a Ford Transit that only just coped.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

There are some good books on the topic. 

What is less well known is that the insurers went after the people involved and recovered a lot of money.

It is alleged that a chunk of the gold remains hidden - given the number of people who have been killed in relation to this robbery it could be that it is never found.  

3 hours ago, Petra said:

One of the main actors was on The Graham Norton Show last night promoting the series and he said the robbers thought there was 3 million Spanish Pesetas. But when they arrived they found the gold.

Interestingly, he also said that apparently any new gold minted since 1983 is likely to contain some of the stolen gold from the robbery. I’m not sure how true that is.

13 minutes ago, dicker said:

There are some good books on the topic. 

What is less well known is that the insurers went after the people involved and recovered a lot of money.

It is alleged that a chunk of the gold remains hidden - given the number of people who have been killed in relation to this robbery it could be that it is never found.  

Isn’t there also some of the gold from the Hatton robbery still missing or hidden?

That robbery was unbelievable how they pulled that off given their age.

14 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Isn’t there also some of the gold from the Hatton robbery still missing or hidden?

That robbery was unbelievable how they pulled that off given their age.

I had read so…

5 hours ago, Petra said:

Correct, they were expecting to get £3.2 million in cash,

I was not aware they only had a Ford Transit. The maximum payload at the time would have only been between 1 and 1.5 tonnes.

You need a 7.5 tonne truck to carry up to 3 or 3.5 tonnes. I know from experience, but I have only done it with silver.

😎

Chards

20 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Correct, they were expecting to get £3.2 million in cash,

I was not aware they only had a Ford Transit. The maximum payload at the time would have only been between 1 and 1.5 tonnes.

You need a 7.5 tonne truck to carry up to 3 or 3.5 tonnes. I know from experience, but I have only done it with silver.

😎

But how many gold Krugerrand’s can a rucksack hold? 😆  

21 minutes ago, dicker said:

I suspect that Brinks Mat is not the largest gold robbery in history but it’s up there.

Saddam, Hitler etc probably stole more.  

I can remember a safety deposit box heist in Antwerp, mainly diamonds but also millions of PMs in 2003. 

On 04/02/2023 at 00:23, Foster88 said:

I thought this might be of interest here on the forum, for those who haven’t seen the adverts, a new drama starts next Sunday called The Gold about a 1983 robbery of three tonnes of gold in London.

Some of you might even remember it at the time. Here’s the trailer and no I don’t work for the BBC. 😆

I just thought it might be of interest to my fellow TSF members as it does look like it could be a good series.

Now, what would you do with three tonnes of gold….

On 04/02/2023 at 10:56, LawrenceChard said:

Also the bars in the robbery were all reported to be kilo bars I think, and the bar in the picture is much bigger than a kilo!

This is worth reading:

😎

This paragraph from the Wikipedia page is intruiging, and might be of great interest to the Conspiracy Theorists (Not that there are any on TSF!)

Counterfeit stolen gold bars
On 21 December 1983, less than four weeks after the robbery, police in Austria arrested five men, four Italians and an Austrian, at a Vienna hotel. Police also recovered ten bullion bars bearing the refiner's mark and serial numbers of bars stolen in the Brink's-Mat robbery.

According to the police spokesman, the bars were gold-coated tungsten counterfeits, and therefore could not be Johnson Matthey's stolen gold bars. He said that the arrested men planned to fraudulently claim they were from the Heathrow robbery. No explanation was given as to how the counterfeiters obtained the unpublished bar serial numbers, nor the likely benefit of counterfeiting stolen property in this way.

😎

Chards

On 04/02/2023 at 11:00, Petra said:

If Wonger was there, he would have left it and took the fiat instead.

On 04/02/2023 at 10:56, LawrenceChard said:

This is worth reading:

😎

Bit like the bar James Bond drops on the putting green in Goldfinger. Putting green totally unscathed.

On 04/02/2023 at 11:00, Petra said:

I understand there was a boating accident!