• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Gold - New BBC drama starting Sunday 12th February

Foster88

On 04/02/2023 at 16:24, LawrenceChard said:

You need a 7.5 tonne truck to carry up to 3 or 3.5 tonnes. I know from experience, but I have only done it with silver.

😎

Where did you nick 3 tonnes of silver from?

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am sure you know as well as I do that we bought it from Perth Mint.

Mind you, it was a steal at the time, about £6.50 intrinsic per ounce!

😎

Gold Bar Sunday Times Culture.jpg

I take it you didn't get free shipping.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

The robbers for free shipping AND free gold ! ;)

Ive just watch the first two episodes and it's not bad to be fair

1 hour ago, Darr3nG said:

I'm on ep.3 - quite enjoyable

No spoilers guys.

I’m only on episode 1 now. 😬

Did you watch it @LawrenceChard I wonder if you spotted any more mistakes?

On 04/02/2023 at 14:12, Foster88 said:

One of the main actors was on The Graham Norton Show last night promoting the series and he said ...

... Interestingly, he also said that apparently any new gold minted since 1983 is likely to contain some of the stolen gold from the robbery. I’m not sure how true that is.

If he did say that, he was wrong:

"According to the BBC, some have claimed that anyone wearing gold jewellery bought in the UK after 1983 is probably wearing Brink's-Mat."

😎

Chards

14 hours ago, Foster88 said:

No spoilers guys.

I started watching it.

The LGD bars are indeed laughable. I am still trying to get confirmation that the JM bars in Brinks Mat were one kilo, not LGD, but I am 99.99% sure at the moment.

The way one of them handled one at about 25 mins was laughable, but at 27.50 mins, I reckoned @BackyardBullion managed to get a free advertising slot!

1734898028_TheGoldBackGardenSmeltingShed.thumb.jpg.9d387e318fd708f3183e21661b6d5ac8.jpg

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

On 04/02/2023 at 14:12, Foster88 said:

Interestingly, he also said that apparently any new gold minted since 1983 is likely to contain some of the stolen gold from the robbery. I’m not sure how true that is.

Interestingly, it said that gold, specifically gold jewellery is likely to contain the stolen gold that was made since 1984

That does offer an insight to an unanswered question I've had for a number of years...

When there was a limitation on the amount of gold a person could privately own historically, numismatic gold coins and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe gold jewellery was exempt from the limitation, but in some places, was encouraged to give up their jewellery for their country.

My question has been, if theoretically, a limitation was ordered again, how would gold jewellery from private ownership be exchanged for fiat currency?  If the gold within the jewellery was stolen or very likely to have been stolen, then is there an argument to exchange it for fiat under a catastrophic global financial collapse?  I know Turkey was asking their citizens to sell their gold to the government not too long ago due to financial troubles.  And I've seen and heard loads of adverts encouraging private owners to sell their gold and send it through the post.

Showing a program like 'The Gold' on the BBC would make the public think about their gold jewellery and whether it contained stolen gold and possibly start to think about selling it - I know I would think in that way.

I wonder if the majority of gold jewellery was made after 1984?

Not sure history will repeat itself, but good to have sight of what's happening.,

Edited by GoldenGriffin

45 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

My question has been, if theoretically, a limitation was ordered again, how would gold jewellery from private ownership be exchanged for fiat currency? 

Depends if it's already been lost in a boating accident. To be honest a boating accident would be preferable to swapping it for fiat.

Saw all six episodes, OK drama based on some facts.

I've read there were 6800 odd bars, for 3 tonnes that would make them less than half a kilo each, wouldn't it🤔

They looked quite a lot bigger in the series - how could they get such an important detail wrong?

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

2 hours ago, JohnA1 said:

I've read there were 6800 odd bars, for 3 tonnes that would make them less than half a kilo each, wouldn't it🤔

They looked quite a lot bigger in the series - how could they get such an important detail wrong?

It does say that some things had been “sexed up” up for dramatic effect.... I remember getting my first 1 gram bars from BBP and in my head I was expecting a lot more than something that I nearly lost down the side of the sofa!! 

8 hours ago, Fishface220 said:

It does say that some things had been “sexed up” up for dramatic effect.... I remember getting my first 1 gram bars from BBP and in my head I was expecting a lot more than something that I nearly lost down the side of the sofa!! 

Ha ha...my first gold coin was a sovereign given by a relative. I felt quite disappointed with the size, it looked pathetically small to my untrained eyes🙃. I still haven't found it, I fear I may have lost it - that's how small it was

No wonder they used good delivery bars for the series, they look way more impressive than half kilo bars😄

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

On 13/02/2023 at 22:55, Foster88 said:

No spoilers guys.

On 14/02/2023 at 11:26, LawrenceChard said:

No, I have not watched it yet. I ended up watching a 20 year old film about it.

😎

I did finish watching it at weekend, quite entertaining!

😎

Chards

On 19/02/2023 at 23:49, JohnA1 said:

I also read that in a few places, probably all copied from one source.

I suspect it is incorrect.

I thought that they were kilo bars, but have been trying to verify from a reliable source, in between trying to do some real work!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

I used to live in Colnbrook, near Heathrow, and my next-door neighbour had a business very similar to Brinks.

He had shared some details that never went public, I was curious if anything new would come out with the series. Nope..

In the end it was cockiness, lack of self-control and stupidity that led to the arrests, quite common with such characters.

Palmer got shot in his garden in Kent a few years back, it is amazing how long he lasted actually, attracting attention from criminals and authorities alike. You shaft these characters and expect not to have a contract on you? He had been under close surveilance for years on end, a cornucopia of information like the best of informers. Yet he was walking around in his garden, happy as Larry..