• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bartering/Offers

Ive never been one for bartering and been screwed over a few times in life, prior to getting into PMs.

Ive helped ex girlfriends etc get the price down on cars theyve bought and so on.

But never been able to do it for myself.

I have got the impression on here that if you dont like the price, you dont go for it. If the price drops into range then i/someone will go for it.

Obviously buyers and sellers maybe private messaging and negotiating.which puts the mockers on the above.

But thats how i see it rolls here.

AaaGee

7 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Ive never been one for bartering and been screwed over a few times in life, prior to getting into PMs.

Ive helped ex girlfriends etc get the price down on cars theyve bought and so on.

But never been able to do it for myself.

I have got the impression on here that if you dont like the price, you dont go for it. If the price drops into range then i/someone will go for it.

Obviously buyers and sellers maybe private messaging and negotiating.which puts the mockers on the above.

But thats how i see it rolls here.

AaaGee

You offer privately and not on the public forum. Waiting for the price to come to you might be too late as someone else grabs it before you get to see the relisted price. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

You offer privately and not on the public forum. Waiting for the price to come to you might be too late as someone else grabs it before you get to see the relisted price. 

i do get where you're coming from but the problem you might find in the future is members get fed up of all your offers and not being prepared to pay the going rate, then the 'ignore' button gets tripped and you potentially lose out on good deals... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

4 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Agreed.

But im new to this so still just into brits and sovs. And for now they are like busses......

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

The problem I am facing is that in previously, I had a brilliant coin shop that used to sell me gold at under spot and silver at just over and never more than 10% . Sadly ill heath forced him to shut down. Would spend hours just talking with him even when there was nothing on offer. This is where I got some of these unusual coins that I put up for sell.

Respectfully, this is probably why you ended up with gear you couldn’t shift on this forum. Your dealer knew what they had and were happy to move on under spot to free up cash flow

I too make offers to some sellers. Not immediately. I do not wish to insult and nearly all items are well priced to begin with. On occasion though if there’s something I fancy but maybe it’s a little higher than I want to pay, or maybe condition is a little off, then I’ll send a private enquiry, never wanting to devalue someone’s own sale thread. I’m never going to barter just for the sake of feeling a small sense of victory though. I’m here to forge relationships with likeminded individuals 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

There is nothing like a new member (with no feedback) rocking up and complaining about the lack of trust, suggesting new trading rules and telling the forum that he will be trying to screw members out of money.

Comedy gold.

42 minutes ago, dicker said:

I would add that in doing so (not negotiating) a number of people mail me with offers before they list them because they know I do t mess them around and pay sane prices.

All comes with being a trusted forum member who treats people with due respect.  

Confused.com

image.png.b45ce0ace3b00c84d4087472e7e28dcc.png

Just now, Spyder said:

Well said that man, you get today's gold star and go to the top of the class

I am in no way taking the Michael out of @dicker, I have sold to him more than once and he is a scholar and a gentleman, just pointing out the irony of his moniker 🥰

7 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I too make offers to some sellers. Not immediately. I do not wish to insult and nearly all items are well priced to begin with. On occasion though if there’s something I fancy but maybe it’s a little higher than I want to pay, or maybe condition is a little off, then I’ll send a private enquiry, never wanting to devalue someone’s own sale thread. I’m never going to barter just for the sake of feeling a small sense of victory though. I’m here to forge relationships with likeminded individuals 👍🏼

Well said.

7 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I would never offer on what I did not want or to insult a seller with a silly offer

If someone has something for sale, that is of interest, at a price i think is fair and i have the money spare at the time ill buy it, if the price isnt right something else comes along pretty quickly or I adjust expectations.

I cant be bothered with having a back and forth negotiation to save what may be a few quid, assuming the day is pretty busy anyway avoiding the context switch and focusing what little free time there is on saving the price of a meal deal at the co-op just isnt worth the hassle, id much rather invest the time posting pointless memes on the Naughty Boy Step.

2 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

If someone has something for sale, that is of interest, at a price i think is fair and i have the money spare at the time ill buy it, if the price isnt right something else comes along pretty quickly or I adjust expectations.

I cant be bothered with having a back and forth negotiation to save what may be a few quid, assuming the day is pretty busy anyway avoiding the context switch and focusing what little free time there is on saving the price of a meal deal at the co-op just isnt worth the hassle, id much rather invest the time posting pointless memes on the Naughty Boy Step.

Look at you Mr money bags!🤔😮😁

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

I had a brilliant coin shop that used to sell me gold at under spot

Pretty sure you'd have no shortage of sales if you did this, also why didnt you just buy it every day and become stupendously rich?

1 minute ago, Petra said:

Look at you Mr money bags!🤔😮😁

Nope im skint

22 minutes ago, Zeuk said:

Pretty sure you'd have no shortage of sales if you did this, also why didnt you just buy it every day and become stupendously rich?

1. I only visited about once a month

2. Sometime there was nothing to be had.

3. Because of what I have written on this forum, some might think but the truth is I'm really not a greedy person at all. 

Like I have said in the first post on this thread, I'm interested in others opinions.

It seems quite a few don't mind offering, while others who are, get really offended.

Edited by Spyder

It seems quite a few don't mind offering, while others who are, get really offended.

Curious, did you percieve my response as though I was offended?

1 minute ago, Zeuk said:

Curious, did you percieve my response as though I was offended?

No, not you, but you can see who are if you read the thread from the top

No, not you, but you can see who are if you read the thread from the top

Cool, always hard to intuit others perspective through the written word, we often put a tone of voice on someone elses writing that isnt intented by the originater.  Good you're putting yourself out there and engaging, alas agreement is always going to be optional for others 👍

16 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

they only want a coin grading but only if it gets a 70......

I didn't know this was a service offering... How about a refund on some of those 69s? (the gradings that is... get your mind out of the gutter!)

Back to the original subject, I love bartering - always have, always will. Years ago, when I built and fixed computers, I worked for all the different trades and almost always tried to agree a swap of services... updated a server for a dentist, got a checkup and some work done in return. Same with a solicitor, when I was buying a house. The best one was a priest, and although I didn't require any spiritual services at the time, I banked it and got a free baptism, a few months later :D 

I recently even managed to pay for a service, using a sovereign coin - best day ever! (not strictly bartering, but close enough)

I have also traded Gold for Silver and vice-versa, only using the GSR as a sales gimmick - the good people of TSF know the real values of their metals! :)