• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stolen gold

Relm

5 minutes ago, Relm said:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23192280.worsley-mum-son-threatened-burglary-gold-bars-stolen/

I do wonder why it takes nearly 4 weeks to get the story out.  Ps anyone know what these "distinctive bars" are?

Obviously no one wants an experience lack that, but …. Oh dear! Gold is gold but there is some pretty awful looking stuff there😮🤔🫢

6 hours ago, Relm said:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23192280.worsley-mum-son-threatened-burglary-gold-bars-stolen/

I do wonder why it takes nearly 4 weeks to get the story out.  Ps anyone know what these "distinctive bars" are?

Perhaps "Bolton History" would be a better name than "Bolton News".

Sounds like the victims, the police, and the media failed to specify impritant information such as the name of the refiner, weight, of the bars, or...

6 hours ago, Petra said:

Obviously no one wants an experience lack that, but …. Oh dear! Gold is gold but there is some pretty awful looking stuff there😮🤔🫢

The fact that the jewellery appears to be Indian / South Asian, and is probably 22ct, but could even be 24ct, the number of pieces, weights.

I would say it is not awful looking, we are all different, with different tastes.

At least it is all gold-coloured unlike much jewellery bought by UK and western buyers.

Chards

17 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

Those bars look like novelty items. I wouldn’t be airing the fact that I store bullion at home home if I did get burgled.

Can’t help but have my suspicions

Can't help but think if you walk about wearing that sort of thing you are advertising yourself to thieves. 

3 hours ago, apachebleu said:

Can't help but think if you walk about wearing that sort of thing you are advertising yourself to thieves. 

My point is, why would you post everything that got stolen in a newspaper? I assume it’s all covered by insurance. 
How did the burglars know that stuff would be there in the first place? This stuff is usually well hidden

5 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

My point is, why would you post everything that got stolen in a newspaper? I assume it’s all covered by insurance. 
How did the burglars know that stuff would be there in the first place? This stuff is usually well hidden

I assume they knew it was there because if you own that sort of vulgar tat you probably wear it on your social media posts.

I also imagine the paper are getting this story from their social media, it's just people showing off really.

People here like to discuss their collection as it's an anonymous place to talk about our hobby knowing that it can't be traced to us. I think in this case its probably the exact opposite and they are keen to have people know who they are and what they have. 

I could be totally wrong of course just the impression I got from the pictures wearing multiple gaudy chains

Not totally anonymous here. If you have ever bought anything at least one person knows of your interest. Heaven forbid that I am suggesting folks here are of that type.

Anyway I thought the jewellry look lovely very Ideal World😉

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

Not totally anonymous here. If you have ever bought anything at least one person knows of your interest. Heaven forbid that I am suggesting folks here are of that type.

Anyway I thought the jewellry look lovely very Ideal World😉

Which is why safety deposit boxes are so important!

The more people that know you collect PM’s the more risky it is to keep anything at home.  Particularly safe fitters and insurers…..

Not my circus, not my monkeys

It is a very tight wire to walk. I've found it very difficult to express my interest in PM's to enable me to pick up the odd bargain from people that want to sell Whilst not telling any one about my interest in PM's. I know I've missed out on lots of deals because I felt it a little too risky to express my interest. I've even gone to auctions before now. Got worried by people that know me when they've seen me at the auction. That I've ended up filling out absentee forms for the lots and bids I wanted to get. Then whilst they were there bid and bought on a couple of occasions some thing totally random. Just so they thought I was only there for some thing completely unconnected to the coins that were there. The last time I did this I bought a carriage for the little one. It turned out to be cheaper than the Wendy house we were going to get for her so it was a great buy in the end, but still, went for coins and came away with a bloody carriage. I did get a couple of the coins I was after as well.

20210604_140359.jpg

20210604_141933.jpg

54 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

It is a very tight wire to walk. I've found it very difficult to express my interest in PM's to enable me to pick up the odd bargain from people that want to sell Whilst not telling any one about my interest in PM's. I know I've missed out on lots of deals because I felt it a little too risky to express my interest. I've even gone to auctions before now. Got worried by people that know me when they've seen me at the auction. That I've ended up filling out absentee forms for the lots and bids I wanted to get. Then whilst they were there bid and bought on a couple of occasions some thing totally random. Just so they thought I was only there for some thing completely unconnected to the coins that were there. The last time I did this I bought a carriage for the little one. It turned out to be cheaper than the Wendy house we were going to get for her so it was a great buy in the end, but still, went for coins and came away with a bloody carriage. I did get a couple of the coins I was after as well.

20210604_140359.jpg

20210604_141933.jpg

You may be getting a little carried away! Do these people know you as in where you live etc.? The amount of local auctions of all types I have been to, you end up seeing the same people at them all the time. Some are collectors, a lot are people buying to sell on. They really don’t care who you are, just get ‘annoyed’ if you beat them to an item. All these people are after making money, they really don’t care who you are and what you buy. No doubt some of them you could go around and peruse through their shop! Just relax and get bidding, it can actually be fun😮🤔

22 hours ago, dicker said:

Which is why safety deposit boxes are so important!

The more people that know you collect PM’s the more risky it is to keep anything at home.  Particularly safe fitters and insurers…..

Do you think you are the only one with a key to a deposit box?

29 minutes ago, Bogart said:

In your opinion😉

Naturally.  I have posted here before about a coin dealer not far from me who was murdered for his coins he kept at home, and recently not far from me there was a robbery of someone who collected gold and kept it at home.  

You pay your money and make your choice.  Mine is an SD box!

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Everyone has to make their own choices, but no way would I keep a gold hoard at home. People will know you collect, so best to keep it out of your house. Hiding it is useless if your home when they break in. They can just force you to open up a safe! 
Who would risk their safety for some PM’s, no chance. 

Just now, bluffer said:

if it works for john wick. it works for me - concrete in the basement

1*Miv_uWI_1pG3up_3j18Igg.webp

My brother gave me a John wick coin as a gift. It was only silver but all the same a nice coin. However I haven't buried it concrete.

On 17/12/2022 at 18:17, ZRPMs said:

20210604_140359.jpg

20210604_141933.jpg

All this talk about security precautions and then post pictures of a child with the face not smudged out?!?  You seriously need to re-examine your thinking on at least 2 levels!

Edited by PhilOdgny