• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Completely Deflated 😔

RRH87

Hi all, 

New to the game, got my first Brit big gouge in it (returned), got my second with what I assume are milk spots, so will try for another return.

Was so excited for my first silver coins and day dreaming of the plans ahead. Now I just wonder why bother. Is this just a really unlucky start or par for the course? I like collecting the silver because it is collectable, but if it's plenty of tarnished hopes and dreams I'll just pack it in and stick my money in 1 a year pieces of gold.

20221018_203718.jpg

20221110_162201.jpg

20221110_162209.jpg

I have to be honest. I see far too many downsides to collecting Royal Mint silver than there is upsides.

Personally I don't stack silver but if I did I would go with the Perth mint items. They seem the best quality on the market and, with say a gold double dragon coin which is probably about £1800, in silver it would be closer to say £50 and still all the quality but in a different material. Have a look at the rectangular dragon coins from them - they're flawless and you literally can't find them over here in gold.

Edited by SiCole

I understand you feeling down about it. Ive got 15x 2022 silver brits. 5 are good, the rest not so much.

Milk spots are part of the production process and a fact of life. But most coins you have to look hard to see them.

There was a YouTube video (i think on this site) that i watched the other day on how to get rid of them. Get a new, clean rubber/eraser and try rubbing the marks out. It worked for the chap on the video.

You are not alone 👍

This is ridiculous 😠

Whilst I haven't "closely inspected the last few tubes of coins I bought ( 2022s and 2023s) bought as tubes and likely be sold as tubes ( stacking weight and viewed as such) I'm sure there's a few nastys in them 🤣🤣

Par for the course with silver unfortunately, even if clean today,it could develop spots tomorrow.

I'm more keep on cast bars for this reason, they won't develop an illness if I look at them the wrong way.

Now with all that being said, the fact you got your return accepted and they sent out a replacement in that state..is poor service at best.

Don't give up hope though, coins on here can be purchased cheaper and you see what your getting before committing to buying. 

One last thing, how many did you buy and what was the total including postage?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

40 minutes ago, RRH87 said:

Was so excited for my first silver coins and day dreaming of the plans ahead. Now I just wonder why bother. Is this just a really unlucky start or par for the course? I like collecting the silver because it is collectable, but if it's plenty of tarnished hopes and dreams I'll just pack it in and stick my money in 1 a year pieces of gold.

Bullion Brits are generally not collectable (there are a few exceptions, like the Orientals or privy marks, but not the 'bog standard' yearly releases). That said, of course I cannot defend the 'quality' you've received - that is dreadful :( On pure bullion like this many dealers would not take a return/exchange but it seems like you found one who do. I can only encourage you to keep returning until you're happy (or just cancel and ask for a refund).

Don't let this put you off silver entirely though, and yes gold is a good bet! :)

27 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Personally I don't stack silver but if I did I would go with the Perth mint items. They seem the best quality on the market and, with say a gold double dragon coin which is probably about £1800, in silver it would be closer to say £50 and still all the quality but in a different material. Have a look at the rectangular dragon coins from them - they're flawless and you literally can't find them over here in gold

Agreed with Perth, they set the standard! But I have had a milky Kook or two, they're not perfect either. Not sure about the recent dragon bars but I've had horrible ones from 2018 that had machine damage and marks, and ones that tarnished terribly - since then I've only ever seen them as equivalent to the Perth Kangaroos (again cheapest bullion quality, even if they do charge a premium for the Dragons).

24 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

There was a YouTube video (i think on this site) that i watched the other day on how to get rid of them. Get a new, clean rubber/eraser and try rubbing the marks out. It worked for the chap on the video.

I'd only do that on your own coins, not ones you think you might sell on in the future. If you sell them and don't disclose that rough cleaning it might very well come back to bite you in terms of reputation! Hope that helps :)

Edited by kimchi

37 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Bullion Brits are generally not collectable (there are a few exceptions, like the Orientals or privy marks, but not the 'bog standard' yearly releases). That said, of course I cannot defend the 'quality' you've received - that is dreadful :( On pure bullion like this many dealers would not take a return/exchange but it seems like you found one who do. I can only encourage you to keep returning until you're happy (or just cancel and ask for a refund).

Don't let this put you off silver entirely though, and yes gold is a good bet! :)

Agreed with Perth, they set the standard! But I have had a milky Kook or two, they're not perfect either. Not sure about the recent dragon bars but I've had horrible ones from 2018 that had machine damage and marks, and ones that tarnished terribly - since then I've only ever seen them as equivalent to the Perth Kangaroos (again cheapest bullion quality, even if they do charge a premium for the Dragons).

I'd only do that on your own coins, not ones you think you might sell on in the future. If you sell them and don't disclose that rough cleaning it might very well come back to bite you in terms of reputation! Hope that helps :)

I havnt done it. As ive sead, ive seen a video.

Just giving the somewhat deflated OP another option if he doesn't want to go through the process of contacting the seller and having to send the coin/s back.

I have bought quite a lot of silver Britannias and other coins and bars. (Luckily) none of my Britannias have been damaged, or started to go milky. Don’t let some disappointing purchases put you off. The Britannia is a great coin and if you get some of the older ones, there are some great designs, or just ‘stack’ the newer ones regardless of their condition. I managed to get some Perth dragon bars and although they hold a bigger premium, they are a really good looking ‘coin’ and worth collecting.

1 hour ago, SiCole said:

I have to be honest. I see far too many downsides to collecting Royal Mint silver than there is upsides.

Personally I don't stack silver but if I did I would go with the Perth mint items. They seem the best quality on the market and, with say a gold double dragon coin which is probably about £1800, in silver it would be closer to say £50 and still all the quality but in a different material. Have a look at the rectangular dragon coins from them - they're flawless and you literally can't find them over here in gold.

I'd like to go around the world and ahve a bit of variety, I've heard only good things about Perth so they might become my staple.

1 hour ago, James32 said:

This is ridiculous 😠

Whilst I haven't "closely inspected the last few tubes of coins I bought ( 2022s and 2023s) bought as tubes and likely be sold as tubes ( stacking weight and viewed as such) I'm sure there's a few nastys in them 🤣🤣

Par for the course with silver unfortunately, even if clean today,it could develop spots tomorrow.

I'm more keep on cast bars for this reason, they won't develop an illness if I look at them the wrong way.

Now with all that being said, the fact you got your return accepted and they sent out a replacement in that state..is poor service at best.

Don't give up hope though, coins on here can be purchased cheaper and you see what your getting before committing to buying. 

One last thing, how many did you buy and what was the total including postage?

I'm collecting out of interest for now not at stacking level yet, don't know if I will be. Worryingly I'm still waiting on a silver proof from the mint so I'm dreading that arrival now. My Germania Fenrir was beautiful might just have to avoid the mint going forward, undecided. 

Think I paid about £34 got a proof, a sovereign and some commerative bits and don't think I paid for postage, but I could have saved a tenner at vhards, thi k they were £24 at the time so probably go there in future. Maybe go in person don't live too far away, could make day trip.

31 minutes ago, Paul said:

Great advert to just buy gold from day one.

Buy a share of a 1000oz bar via bullionvault if you want exposure to SLV  

It can milk spot or be handled. I'm not bothered it's in a vault  Switzerland or Singapore where I'll never see it 

I have looked at the Digi gold at Chards with the option to use ur ounces to buy physical sounds good but need to do some research first.

2 hours ago, RRH87 said:

Completely Deflated

Hi all, 

New to the game, got my first Brit big gouge in it (returned), got my second with what I assume are milk spots, so will try for another return.

Completely Deflated?

@HerefordBullyun has had a similar problem with "Dolly", although he tried to let her down gently.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I was hoping to have one for every year but that may switch to Perth's or Philomonics. It was the mint who I returned it too so I don't know if they are generally more accepting with their mad premiums but I don't see how they can justify a brilliant uncirculated description with that standard.

4 minutes ago, RRH87 said:

I'm collecting out of interest for now not at stacking level yet, don't know if I will be. Worryingly I'm still waiting on a silver proof from the mint so I'm dreading that arrival now. My Germania Fenrir was beautiful might just have to avoid the mint going forward, undecided. 

Think I paid about £34 got a proof, a sovereign and some commerative bits and don't think I paid for postage, but I could have saved a tenner at vhards, thi k they were £24 at the time so probably go there in future. Maybe go in person don't live too far away, could make day trip.

I don't know who vhards are, but they sound like nice people!

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I don't know who vhards are, but they sound like nice people!

😎

You should give them a go, can't believe u havent heard of the legendary mythical being known as Lawencious Vhardonious. Some say he is part royalty, part jester, part sportsman and just the right amount of crude.....you should get on really well 😉.

2 minutes ago, RRH87 said:

£34 is a sickening blow for such a coin.

To prove the merit of the forum and its uses and hopefully reignite your interest and you can get a refund on that coin ( probably unlikely being bullion) 

I'm happy to supply a 2022 britannia for £25 or a 2023 for £26 plus post of choice ( postage on a single coin may kill the deal though) I will guarantee you as perfect a coin that's possible ( unless I open the tubes are they are all growing mushrooms lol)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, RRH87 said:

You should give them a go, can't believe u havent heard of the legendary mythical being known as Lawencious Vhardonious. Some say he is part royalty, part jester, part sportsman and just the right amount of crude.....you should get on really well 😉.

Does he look like this:

kingchard50PENCEmockup.thumb.jpg.1d532e9cd267dd063c3140e36823e33c.jpg

😎

Chards

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

Great advert to just buy gold from day one.

Buy a share of a 1000oz bar via bullionvault if you want exposure to SLV  

It can milk spot or be handled. I'm not bothered it's in a vault  Switzerland or Singapore where I'll never see it 

I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion as well - you can speculate on silver on Bullionvault in a way that you can't really do in the retail market here in the UK.  Still doesn't prevent you from holding a stack of physical gold as a hedge.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

At risk of sounding like a stuck record record record buy silver that's not been knocked out by the Royal Mint Knuckle Draggers.

Perth Mint quality is probably the best of all.

The Canadian Maples I've had my mits on - I had close to a hundred tubes going back a bit - were all tickety boo. They could get milky but in very recent years they are supposedly dipped in fairy dust to prevent this... all the ones I have are 2018 and pristine despite living in a loft, so chuffing chilly or toasty warm depending if it's 1 of the 2 hot days in a year in God's Own County.

Me silver Krugs are all good too. None of them look like they've squared up to Mad Vlad and enquired if he thinks he's hard enough!

1 hour ago, RRH87 said:

I was hoping to have one for every year

The series was very collectable but the latest 10 years have all been the same. I actually like the latest manifestation with all the wavy lines and security features but that's not much use if they're milky and gouged.

The problem you have now is that some of the older years going back to 1998 (?1997) are getting quite expensive to source.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion as well - you can speculate on silver on Bullionvault in a way that you can't really do in the retail market here in the UK.  Still doesn't prevent you from holding a stack of physical gold as a hedge.

33 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

At risk of sounding like a stuck record record record buy silver that's not been knocked out by the Royal Mint Knuckle Draggers.

Perth Mint quality is probably the best of all.

The Canadian Maples I've had my mits on - I had close to a hundred tubes going back a bit - were all tickety boo. They could get milky but in very recent years they are supposedly dipped in fairy dust to prevent this... all the ones I have are 2018 and pristine despite living in a loft, so chuffing chilly or toasty warm depending if it's 1 of the 2 hot days in a year in God's Own County.

Me silver Krugs are all good too. None of them look like they've squared up to Mad Vlad and enquired if he thinks he's hard enough!

17 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The series was very collectable but the latest 10 years have all been the same. I actually like the latest manifestation with all the wavy lines and security features but that's not much use if they're milky and gouged.

The problem you have now is that some of the older years going back to 1998 (?1997) are getting quite expensive to source.

Of course, you can solve all of those problems by investing in gold instead of silver.

No milk spots, no tarnishing, no VAT!

What more could anybody wish for?

😎

Chards

10 hours ago, James32 said:

Free fekin pos.....never mind!

I am actually in favour of free postage, and not just "free postage", or even "free" postage.

All we need is you to negotiate the deal with Royal Mail, and we will all be eternally grateful to you.

Oh, and it does have to be fully insured!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards