• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mint quality on Tudor beast

Ridefort

Evening all, probably a topic that’s been discussed a lot but I wanted to get opinions on the quality of my coin and Royal Mint’s stance on the condition. 

I couldn’t find any of the 1/4 oz gold lion Tudor beasts anywhere apart from the Royal Mint (with a hefty premium) so I ordered on the basis I might not find it elsewhere. 

I was disappointed to receive it with two dents on the Queen’s neck. I sent an email with pictures and was told to send it in. I got it back pretty quickly with a letter saying that it was of acceptable quality and they would not inspect a second time. 

A little surprised with the outcome as I was half expecting that they would replace but they haven’t. 

I’ve attached a few pictures (bearing in mind it’s the 1/4 oz zoomed in so it could look like a tiny nick to the naked eye) which I think spoils it a little. 

I know it’s bullion, but it’s part of a series I was looking forward to collecting and I paid a decent premium from Royal Mint for this! 

What are the views on the condition of the coin? Is there much I can do after they’ve inspected deemed it satisfactory? 

8CE6A305-C40E-4B7D-BA05-34C9F7417FDC.jpeg

08FFF9DD-7D10-4AB3-A74E-6E0D64B75DFC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Sorry for the delay in this topic being approved. Please accept this post as a free bump :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

On 06/11/2022 at 23:19, Ridefort said:

Evening all, probably a topic that’s been discussed a lot but I wanted to get opinions on the quality of my coin and Royal Mint’s stance on the condition. 

I couldn’t find any of the 1/4 oz gold lion Tudor beasts anywhere apart from the Royal Mint (with a hefty premium) so I ordered on the basis I might not find it elsewhere. 

I was disappointed to receive it with two dents on the Queen’s neck. I sent an email with pictures and was told to send it in. I got it back pretty quickly with a letter saying that it was of acceptable quality and they would not inspect a second time. 

A little surprised with the outcome as I was half expecting that they would replace but they haven’t. 

I’ve attached a few pictures (bearing in mind it’s the 1/4 oz zoomed in so it could look like a tiny nick to the naked eye) which I think spoils it a little. 

I know it’s bullion, but it’s part of a series I was looking forward to collecting and I paid a decent premium from Royal Mint for this! 

What are the views on the condition of the coin? Is there much I can do after they’ve inspected deemed it satisfactory? 

8CE6A305-C40E-4B7D-BA05-34C9F7417FDC.jpeg

08FFF9DD-7D10-4AB3-A74E-6E0D64B75DFC.jpeg

Scratches are quite frequent due to being stored in tubes...then thrown into capsules from 2 floors up 😆 

That's awful though, looks like someone was trying to Steal Elizabeth's earrings with a crowbar!

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

You thinking a "RM worker" is doing a bit of modern day clipping?

Haha I was just thinking it looks like a nice example. Doesn't look like that's a usual skuff from in the tube though probably that someone dropped a chisel on it at the mint before dispatch

I think you are entitled to feel disappointed if you were to receive this as a new bullion coin from the original maker (as the RM likes to describe itself).  It's even more disappointing that they haven't given you a better quality replacement coin, given that you sent it back to them and it has clear and obvious marks on it.

It is indeed really tricky trying to collect a series of bullion coins.  I do think that whether you see yourself as a stacker or a collector, it shouldn't be too much to ask of the RM to send you a coin of good quality with no major marks on it.  

Sadly it seems very much to be the luck of the draw, and I think it's got worse over the last five years - to the point that you feel 'lucky' if you receive a coin with few or no defects.

Those marks look like they've come directly off the die rather than poor handling. Maybe that's why the RM wouldn't exchange. I have a couple of Queens Beasts Lion of England coins with something similar - partly obscuring the E of England and, more than likely, caused by swarf on the die. There's probably an awful lot of them out in the wild.

If a coin is sold as 'bullion' then it should cost no more than spot price, manufacturing cost and reasonable profit. Any more than that and i would expect a coin to be in BU condition. Paying £78 over spot (based on todays RM price) probably equates to a £60 profit to the RM. Is that reasonable ?

22 hours ago, James32 said:

Scratches are quite frequent due to being stored in tubes...then thrown into capsules from 2 floors up 😆 

That's awful though, looks like someone was trying to Steal Elizabeth's earrings with a crowbar!

And I was thinking Nosferatu the Vampire had been taking to much of an interest in Her Maj!

The only RM product I buy nowadays is Sovereigns as somehow the vast majority seem to get past the sledgehammer and pick axe wielding knuckle dragggers. And when I get a cacky one I move it on...

Thread hijack...

Those of you buying Tudor Beasts might be interested to know that the premium of a gold 1oz Yale over a Brit is currently £17.43 at Tavex.

In my books, the premium is therefore non existent and the Yale will attract a higher price to collectors in the future than the Brit.

A buy in my books!