• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your experiences with safety deposit boxes.

Ukbullionfan

I'm afraid that a rubber dinghy in your garden pond doesn't really have much credibility as a boating accident.

You might say it doesn't hold water.

I'm here 'til Friday.  Try the fish.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Get your self a nice safe and screw it to the floor.   The crimbos will nick that leaving your stash carefully hidden elsewhere.  After wrestling,it from the floor 

lugging the weight of,the thing out to the van then spending a good hour getting into it, they can enjoy it’s emptiness .  Or for comedic effect add a sealed plastic bag of dog terrible    Or if you,have the tech ability and exploding bag of excrement 

20 hours ago, Tortoise said:

Metro Bank in the next town to me provide safe deposit boxes but their smallest is £240 p.a.  I opened a cash account with them as the first step in getting a box, which is required to have a safe deposit box with them.  The account opening was not a smooth process, so I was not generally impressed with them.

I signed up to an account with them about 2 weeks ago, reserved a safety deposit box with them, and finally got some time today to go down and open it. I thought the online sign up was straight forward and problem free, bit of a faff today though getting the deposit box set up. Had someone who was on their first day, so was a guinea pig for their training. But, nice vault room, plenty of space to move around, and the private rooms were quite nice and well lit.

They are also running an offer this month I found out, of a £50 voucher when you sign up to a deposit box

One good thing about Metro Bank is that they are open 7 days a week. As for there boxes, they are not insured by the bank, but are covered by your household insurance. Not much good overall, much better off putting that £240 into a better safe.

Of course you can give me your silver, gold and what have you, for safe keeping. The fact that you will never see or hear from me again, is nether here nor there. 

25 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

For anyone that has got one at a reputable company what’s the run down ? For insurance purposes is it best to tell them what you have in there or is it mandatory anyway to let them know ?

The one I have with a high street bank, they won't offer insurance for it as it's a conflict of interests as they don't won't to know what's in your box. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/10/2022 at 17:43, CANV said:

Get your self a nice safe and screw it to the floor.   The crimbos will nick that leaving your stash carefully hidden elsewhere.  After wrestling,it from the floor 

lugging the weight of,the thing out to the van then spending a good hour getting into it, they can enjoy it’s emptiness .  Or for comedic effect add a sealed plastic bag of dog terrible    Or if you,have the tech ability and exploding bag of excrement 

I have a safe, its just full of boxes, it's a great decoy, of course no one is going to tell you where they hide their stack of coins and bullion. Sometimes being overt is the best for being covert. By the time they have ripped up the safe from the floor the amount of tike they have left in the property won't be long, thieves don't like to hang about 5 minutes tops at a stretch and if they go beyond this they are really risking getting caught like the blighter that snuck into my sisters house in HK. He was caught in the act but got away with nothing when he made too much noise and woke everyone up, unless you have the time and know the owner is away and no one at the house and zero security don't hide it at home. As for bank I wouldn't trust them or safety deposit boxes. As is the case in America, this could easily happen here next. 

FBI basically claimed the company was laundering money, on that basis they used that premise to seize customers boxes then not give the property back unless you can prove your possessions were not from criminal acirivity. 

my advice, buy some land, dig a basement and build your own safe into it And don't tell anyone about the land you own or what's on and don't tell the construction people what it's for like a preppers fallout shelter. 

3 hours ago, PhilOdgny said:

What an extraordinary tale. Fascinating reading. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2022 at 09:37, KevjustKev said:

One good thing about Metro Bank is that they are open 7 days a week. As for there boxes, they are not insured by the bank, but are covered by your household insurance. Not much good overall, much better off putting that £240 into a better safe.

Of course you can give me your silver, gold and what have you, for safe keeping. The fact that you will never see or hear from me again, is nether here nor there. 

I went in to Metro bank in the week, it's now no cash at all, including coin collections!

10 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

Yep, that is what I asked, yet a different answer

If you look in their Terms and Conditions, cash is not allowed, but bullion/coin collections should be, assuming I am reading it correctly.

See here : https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/globalassets/documents/customer_documents/personal/safe-deposit-box-terms-and-conditions.pdf

15 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

If you look in their Terms and Conditions, cash is not allowed, but bullion/coin collections should be, assuming I am reading it correctly.

See here : https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/globalassets/documents/customer_documents/personal/safe-deposit-box-terms-and-conditions.pdf

3.1 You may be required to tell us what you have stored in your safe deposit box. You must ensure that your safe deposit box only contains items that belong to you, and never contains any of the following items:

• anything that is illegal or constitutes the proceeds of crime;

• cash, of any currency, amount or denomination;

• chemicals or drugs, or items which are noxious, ...

I guess it comes down to whether a bullion coin with a face value in GBP is classed as "cash, of any currency, amount or denomination".  Perhaps Metrobank need to clarify their T&Cs in this regard as it seems to be open to interpretation.

On 13/10/2022 at 20:40, Tortoise said:

Do you mind me asking who your safe deposit box is with, because I was looking at opening one myself?  Are they nation wide?

Metro Bank in the next town to me provide safe deposit boxes but their smallest is £240 p.a.  I opened a cash account with them as the first step in getting a box, which is required to have a safe deposit box with them.  The account opening was not a smooth process, so I was not generally impressed with them.

Ideally I would like somewhere better than them and hopefully cheaper.  Any info would be welcome.

I had a metro safety box. Closed it as the 240 per year option was to small. 

8 hours ago, TommyTwoShots said:

I had a metro safety box. Closed it as the 240 per year option was to small. 

Really? Wow!  You must be a silver stacker.  Couldn't imagine having enough gold to ever fill one!

A cheap decoy safe with a few Ali express sovereign's is a decent idea. The attic is a good hiding place but not for silver as the temperature extremities would cause strange things to happen to it. Gold, you can leave it anywhere.  Best to hide or destroy invoices for coins unless you need them for insurance purpose.  All depends on what your insurance policy covers.