• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

OMP In or Out?

KevjustKev

Put ya OMP in!

Ya OMP out!

In out In out ya shake it all about.

You do the silver forum then ya turn around - thats what its allllllllllllll about!!!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, tallthinkev said:

Got hold of the Sov, pictured, and it's still in it's original mint packaging. Is it better to get it in there or put it in an inert capsule?

I ask because the possible degassing of the plastic.

Over to you.🙂

sov 2009.jpg

It has come to no harm in the plastic sheet for 13 years, in fact, the sheet will have protected it from being handled or jangled. I doubt that the sheet will de-gas, or cause any harm.

However, it is your coin!

😎

Chards

Am I the only person on here who is tempted to buy a new run of the mill sovereign and throw it loose into my pocket? As a pocket piece.

I'd like to see one of these coins look more 'circulated' - for want of a better word.

Edited by SidS

Just now, SidS said:

Am I the only person on here who is tempted to buy a new run of the mill sovereign and throw it loose into my pocket - as a pocket piece.

I'd like to see one of these coins look more 'circulated' - for want of a better word.

I think the only reason a lot of older sovereigns are in reasonable condition is because the people with money used a coin holder of some sort.  Banging around loose in your pocket will soon ‘lighten’ it up. Don’t know what you buy, but I don’t really own any ‘run of the mill’ sovereigns. 🤔

6 minutes ago, Petra said:

I think the only reason a lot of older sovereigns are in reasonable condition is because the people with money used a coin holder of some sort.  Banging around loose in your pocket will soon ‘lighten’ it up. Don’t know what you buy, but I don’t really own any ‘run of the mill’ sovereigns. 🤔

Run of the mill to me are basic bullion sovereigns - i.e. not proofs.

I did have a 2000 half that I bought from a jewellers - damaged by adhesive on the obverse, that they'd stuck the price tag on. I guess I could have used that.

17 minutes ago, SidS said:

Am I the only person on here who is tempted to buy a new run of the mill sovereign and throw it loose into my pocket? As a pocket piece.

An interesting thought, which certainly has not occurred to me (but then such thoughts rarely do), and the process might help to get rid of the sickly gloss that is half the problem with new sovereigns. The other half of course is their pinkness.

I've freed my standard OMP plastic covered coins (and bars too) and put in either capsules or Lighthouse Flips - only ones I have in OMP are the 'blister' packed coins, which I wouldn't remove, simply because they will be easier to sell on eBay & the like when the time comes - gives people a sense of security I guess... 🤔

DSC00523.thumb.JPG.a2cf7da5a2ffb4254ac067cc18557870.JPG

DSC00524.thumb.JPG.a836e55b167245828792a06df4be27cc.JPG

On 05/09/2022 at 07:46, SidS said:

Just order direct from the RM. Some of the stuff I've bought new from them lately gives off a certain 'circulated & pre-owned' vibe to me. Some advertise their coins as 'New Old Stock' but they seem to do a good line in 'Old New Stock'.