• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Vicious looking copper spots

Just had a look at my queens beasts collection and the unicorn has developed some nasty looking marks 

what are peoples thoughts on the jet lighter technique to try and remove it 

I’ve just watched a few YouTube videos including the BYB one with the bicarbonate of soda but am thinking the jet lighter is worth a try 😬

76FAA2CF-71AA-47E5-8E4C-CC5C468EDB43.jpeg

19AE5D43-7350-4212-8D6D-DFC2B3919B15.jpeg

501070DE-75BB-440C-A2A7-0857F62A4556.jpeg

9E52CAC0-0EA5-4D86-BC3F-0C21E27E48F9.jpeg

E1A5DA11-BE26-43EE-8AC9-C7C0A8BB791A.jpeg

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Never seen one that bad before, might be worth reaching out to @GoldDiggerDave for an opinion? Or even get him to try cleaning it up.

I did have Dave in mind but the coin is with me in Spain I could probably get it taken back to the Uk sometime this year and let him work his magic 

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Never seen one that bad before, might be worth reaching out to @GoldDiggerDave for an opinion? Or even get him to try cleaning it up.

I have been having the same conversation with @paulmerton not 5 minutes ago, that copper spots can look black and scabby.  The problem you can get with this type of aggressive copper spots that the crusty nature of this can effect the surface.  Yes you can reduce the effect of this type of copper spot sometimes.  

2 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

I did have Dave in mind but the coin is with me in Spain I could probably get it taken back to the Uk sometime this year and let him work his magic 

If you ever come back to the UK sometime I'll gladly be of help. 

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I have been having the same conversation with @paulmerton not 5 minutes ago, that copper spots can look black and scabby.  The problem you can get with this type of aggressive copper spots that the crusty nature of this can effect the surface.  Yes you can reduce the effect of this type of copper spot sometimes.  

What actually causes it? Or is it just capable of popping out years later?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

What actually causes it? Or is it just capable of popping out years later?

It can appear at any time, I do see trends with certain years and types of gold coins, mid 2000's gold proof Brits suffer with this, TBH this is the first "new" gold bullion I've seen this bad.   

24ct is very strange as it's supposed to be pure gold but I do see this effect on lots of 24ct coins.   

@James32 Honestly  and it's my opinion only, I do think this is part of the same issue as milk spots, there has to be some kind of chemical contaminant in the smelting or annealing process.   It's supposed to be 999/1000 gold  the 1/1000 bit is causing the issue. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Just now, GoldDiggerDave said:

@James32 Honestly  and it's my opinion only, I do think this is part of the same issue as milk spots, there has to be some kind of chemical contaminant in the smelting or annealing process.   It's supposed to be 999/1000 gold  the 1/1000 bit is causing the issue. 

Yeah understandable on 22ct but frustrating on 24ct.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Spanishsilver said:

I'm sure he will fly out to sort it if you pay his flights, accommodation, and expenses!

😎

Chards

20 minutes ago, SidS said:

I like copper spots on gold coins in moderation.

Not so keen on the copper scabs that these silver coins seem to get, looking at those photos. It looks like greyscale.

It’s a 1oz gold queens beasts unicorn of Scotland. Definitely looks like a scab though 

The more I look into this the more I think it’s caused by a drop in quality maybe due to the worldwide shortage of both gold and silver blanks.   

24ct gold should really not react like this especially in this period of time, I’ve got sovereigns from the RMS Duro that have been 1650ft under the sea for 114 years that look better than this coin.

I think it’s an oxidising chemical or salt used In the smelting process that is not being removed. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

1 hour ago, Spanishsilver said:

It’s a 1oz gold queens beasts unicorn of Scotland. Definitely looks like a scab though 

Woops! I think I need to change the colour settings at my end!

I think I'm so used to gold looking like copper these days.

Edited by SidS

I've had great results using a little torch lighter, as you inquired about in the original post.  With the naked eye, there was no indication that anything was ever there or that anything had been done to the coin. 

However, my experience was based on 24k gold bullion, that I had no plans to get graded.  Probably would not have tried that method if I deeply cared about preserving the integrity of my coin.