• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie Question - ‘pre-owned’

TSR

This is going to sound silly but does ‘pre-owned’ have any additional meaning other than it was previously owned? Does it denote that it is going to be damaged or lesser quality in some way? Would something that is essentially pristine but was owned before be classed as pre-owned?

It just seems odd that a dealer could have items from pre-2012 for example but only some are preowned, as though the rest has been sitting waiting to be sold for a decade. 

35 minutes ago, TSR said:

This is going to sound silly but does ‘pre-owned’ have any additional meaning other than it was previously owned? Does it denote that it is going to be damaged or lesser quality in some way? Would something that is essentially pristine but was owned before be classed as pre-owned?

It just seems odd that a dealer could have items from pre-2012 for example but only some are preowned, as though the rest has been sitting waiting to be sold for a decade. 

It simply means what is says.

Yes of course it may be lower condition, but not necessarily.

If you bought a 10 year old pre-owned car which had done 100,000 miles, you could expect it to have condierable wear and tear. Much would depend on its previous owner, and how carefully it had been treated.

I / we happen to have many thousands of new coins, for example mint bags of 1967 pennies and halfpennies, which have never been in circulation. Probably also mint and proof sets, dating back to 1999.

😎

Chards

12 hours ago, TSR said:

Just to clarify....are you talking PM's or wives? 😁 If the latter, pre-owned may have some advantages!

5 hours ago, modofantasma said:

I like that on Hatton Garden Metals they have things like 'bullion condition' or 'better than bullion' 

If I'm looking on 2nd hand market I'd ask to see a better photo if there wasn't one that's clear. 

The trouble with stating that something is 'bullion condition' is that those two words are pretty much meaningless when describing a coin. It can range from being hit several times with a hammer to pristine / straight from the mint....

In most market places the terminology for vintage unblemished/unused items is new, old stock. I would suspect anyone advertising coins as just 'pre-owned' with no other description is using the phrase as a catch-all cover for sending out the all their sh*te. I'm a glass half empty person 😁

On 26/08/2022 at 22:51, TSR said:

If you're talking about silver, pre-owned items don't attract VAT.  Irrespective of their condition, this is the significant item W.R.T. sales.  You might see something like 'our choice' or 'sellers choice' on a listing, which means that the condition may be less than pristine.  

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

So, I made the mistake of buying some dealer choice coins when I first tinkered in silver not so long ago, and bought some maples that were clearly the rejects from some exercise in grading; they all have milk spotting or some minor marks from handling.  Not all pre-owned ones will be in this condition, but this dealer, at least, clearly had sorted out the B grade ones.  You probably want to ask what you're actually getting.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

On 26/08/2022 at 22:51, TSR said:

You ask an interesting question but you give very little context.

If, for example, you were buying a 1900 sovereign, it would of course be ‘pre owned’. I’d be more surprised if it wasn’t or listed as ‘new’.

With regards to your comment “as though the rest has been sitting waiting to be sold for a decade”.

Ask The Canadian Mint…. they, in recent years, found many gold coins which sold for a premium.

They ‘found’ many Canadian gold coins and much less publicised (but discussed here on the forum) was the degrading of the Canadian minted sovereigns in the latest 2021 Marsh book.

Anyway, I digress, but you need to give your post more context.