• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which silver coin brands are worth a higher premium?

Sybilla

I have been researching silver coin prices for multiple brands for a few days now. To me it seems that some silver coins are worth a higher premium, because they will likely also sell above spot price. 

Maple leafs, Brittania, Philharmoniks seem to have the best deal, because these coins have the lowest premiums... However when I look at selling these coins, they always go below spot price. Which is the case for most silver of course. These brands give me the impression that it is just a matter of stacking them en selling them when the price of silver goes up.

I also came across a few others brands which seem to be worth a higher premium, because they are more desirable or part of a collection. For example Kookaburra. A lot of people seem to collect every year of this coin. Older years of this coin seem to sell for an even larger premium.

Please keep in mind that I am very new (I might be completely wrong) and I researched the prices in my country, which might differentiate from the prices in other countries. However what I would like to know... Which silver coin (brands) could possible be a better investment and are worth a higher premium, because they will likely also sell for a higher price.

22 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Hi, Sybilla!

It is very difficult to predict how your silver will sell in the future and how much from the premium you have paid will be recovered when you will sell. It is a lottery.

All of us been fascinated about shiny and beautiful coins and all of us have overpaid at beginning for first ounces of silver.

All of us have learned quick that stacking silver and collecting coins are two different leagues.

Stacking is accumulating for weight at the best price possible, collecting is paying sometimes high premium for our pleasure and/or vanity. 

My advice is to start accumulating first looking at the best price possible, and in time, after gaining more experience in coins and precious metals you can start buying what do you like.

Keep an eye on Buy/Sell UK section. Because it is the most active section on forum, you will check and learn very quick about the real market prices for silver bars and coins. You will see that the correct priced coins will sell in minutes and others will not sell. You will see also in real time the real demand for silver.

Good luck in your journey!🤗

Stefan.

Thank you Stefan! That is very helpful advice :D 

54 minutes ago, Sybilla said:

However when I look at selling these coins, they always go below spot price. Which is the case for most silver of course.

Where are you looking to sell? as no silver should be sold under spot unless its to a pawnbroker 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

7 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Where are you looking to sell? as no silver should be sold under spot unless its to a pawnbroker 

All local silver and gold shops, coin shops and even a few online coin shops (in the Netherlands and Germany) only seem to purchase coins slightly under spot. I have been making a lot of inquiries everywhere 😅

The shops do seem to offer worse prices than collectors though. From what I see here on the forum, people pay a much more realistic price.

I think most, if not all coin shops and dealers will always offer below spot.  Or wont they? @LawrenceChard

Personally and in spite of buying and selling on ebay for many years (not PMs), I'd be wary of selling PMs on there because of trust issues with buyers - most are ok but some are not and will try their luck at getting a freebie, ie "where is my item, it hasn't arrived" or "this item is not as described" and blah blah blah..  That's just me though, others are perfectly happy doing it.

3 hours ago, Sybilla said:

All local silver and gold shops, coin shops and even a few online coin shops (in the Netherlands and Germany) only seem to purchase coins slightly under spot.

I would have thought that was there price below melt regardless of who minted the coin?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

30 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I would have thought that was there price below melt regardless of who minted the coin?

If they are old circulated "junk" coins, then they may only be worth scrap value, although some stackers may pay spot+.

If minty stuff, normal bullion, or better olf coins, then spot should be the minimum value, although the German market may be slighlty different, because for years, they were spoilt by silver coins at only 7% VAT.

😎

Chards

I think these guys will give you spot for silver coins.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/sell-to-us/

But as others have said you could get better prices selling on here, or even on ebay after fees. Even if you wanted to unload in a hurry.

Regarding what coins are worth the premium. I think the Pert mint stuff is, not because of future re-sell, but because the quality is good and none of my perth coins have any milk spots or other issues.

I like the Congo Silverbacks too, good packaging and quality.

16 hours ago, LittleMan said:

I think these guys will give you spot for silver coins.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/sell-to-us/

But as others have said you could get better prices selling on here, or even on ebay after fees. Even if you wanted to unload in a hurry.

Regarding what coins are worth the premium. I think the Pert mint stuff is, not because of future re-sell, but because the quality is good and none of my perth coins have any milk spots or other issues.

I like the Congo Silverbacks too, good packaging and quality.

You just taught me about milk spots being a thing 😅
I came across perth mint a lot. I have to say I am not a huge fan of the lunar serie though.

10 minutes ago, Arganto said:

Also here;

www.donthaveawebsitebutwillbuyyoursilveratspotjustshoutoi!Arganto!.com

Don't forget that my outfit offers the 'Backing up the Truck" service at no extra cost. 

😂😂😂😂😂

Oi! Arganto!

Some spoons at spot! My bank account is.....😁

22 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Some spoons at spot! My bank account is.....😁

You got spoons at spot? wine me and dine me, tell me all about them, photo's, everything 😋

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Well I wont be buying any more silver from the Royal Mint. I bought some 2021 Britannias last year, kept in capsules and in pelican cases and they have all spotted terribly. Basically just junk silver just 9 months later!  Almost no shine on a couple of them. 

1 hour ago, LightningSilver said:

Well I wont be buying any more silver from the Royal Mint. I bought some 2021 Britannias last year, kept in capsules and in pelican cases and they have all spotted terribly. Basically just junk silver just 9 months later!  Almost no shine on a couple of them. 

You never said what the atmospherics were like, dry room? 

I have mine in a Leuchtturm box with a few silica bags in with them and then in a safe in a dry room, they are still pristine

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

3 hours ago, LightningSilver said:

spotted terribly

White/milk spots? Unfortunately it's something that afflicts a lot of modern silver, bullion and proof. It's not isolated to the Royal Mint either and seemingly happens regardless of storage conditions. One hypothesis is that it is a residue left over from production, possibly borax. It can be removed and the shine brought back but involves contact cleaning. If it's regular bullion though milk spotting doesn't render it "junk", it's a recognised issue.