• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers designs in 100 years time?

Bit of fun. The year is 2122 and the Royal Mint have decided to revisit the Great Engravers series. What designs/engravers would be recreated/celebrated? The designs must be within Queen Elizabeth's reign so from 1953 onwards

Edited by Heirlooms

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

• Heirlooms changed the title to Great Engravers designs in 100 years time?

The first Decimal 10p with the Lion Passant

The first Decimal 50p with the seated Britannia

The Portcullis design on the predecimal nickel-brass threepence.  This would be ace in gold...

Maybe the predecimal half crown with the shield design

Maybe the predecimal two shillings

Maybe the predecimal English and Scottish shillings as a two-coin set

(basically the older coins rather than the newer coins, and the definitive designs rather than any of the many, many commemoratives)

4 hours ago, Stuntman said:

The first Decimal 10p with the Lion Passant

The first Decimal 50p with the seated Britannia

The Portcullis design on the predecimal nickel-brass threepence.  This would be ace in gold...

Maybe the predecimal half crown with the shield design

Maybe the predecimal two shillings

Maybe the predecimal English and Scottish shillings as a two-coin set

(basically the older coins rather than the newer coins, and the definitive designs rather than any of the many, many commemoratives)

All are nice....i'd love to see Royal Arms 1 Pound and 4 Cities as well.

There aren't many. The ones that come to mind are:

Jody Clark - 2014 Britannia or Completer

Philip Nathan - Any of his one off Britannia designs

Edgar Fuller and Cecil Thomas - pre-decimal two shilling or sixpence designs (beautiful @Stuntman)

• 7 months later...

Going to add the Mary Gillick's Elizabeth II portrait to this list. Best portrait by far. Might be the best portrait of a monarch. Would be beautiful to celebrate both Mary and the Queen 100 years from now

18 hours ago, dicker said:

Gillick QE2

A number of the £2 designs

Round pound coin designs

Definitely with you on the Gillick, it’s a classic and needs to be truly celebrated on a proof coin.

Any specific designs from the £2 or round pound? The Great Engravers is an exclusive club. The bar is high!

5 hours ago, Heirlooms said:

Definitely with you on the Gillick, it’s a classic and needs to be truly celebrated on a proof coin.

Any specific designs from the £2 or round pound? The Great Engravers is an exclusive club. The bar is high!

Mary Rose

King James Bible

Great Fire of London

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 3 months later...

With people receiving their 2022 Memorial Sovereign sets this week I thought I’d resurrect this thread by saying that Jody Clark is fast becoming the William Wyon of our time. This is the 1st time he’s designed a special reverse sovereign and seems to be universally agreed that he nailed it especially when you see them in the flesh. Elegant, intricate and a beautiful depiction of the Royal Coat of Arms. The Queens Beast collection is the best series the Royal Mint have released and the Completer is quite possibly the best coin design the Royal Mint has ever released, rivalling Wyon’s Una and the Lion and 3 Graces. When you add his 2014 Britannia which the most sought after Britannia design of them all it’s hard to argue against the notion. And to top it all off, he’s still only 41 so plenty of time to create plenty more modern classics 

9 hours ago, Heirlooms said:

With people receiving their 2022 Memorial Sovereign sets this week I thought I’d resurrect this thread by saying that Jody Clark is fast becoming the William Wyon of our time. This is the 1st time he’s designed a special reverse sovereign and seems to be universally agreed that he nailed it especially when you see them in the flesh. Elegant, intricate and a beautiful depiction of the Royal Coat of Arms. The Queens Beast collection is the best series the Royal Mint have released and the Completer is quite possibly the best coin design the Royal Mint has ever released, rivalling Wyon’s Una and the Lion and 3 Graces. When you add his 2014 Britannia which the most sought after Britannia design of them all it’s hard to argue against the notion. And to top it all off, he’s still only 41 so plenty of time to create plenty more modern classics 

I wholeheartedly agree. 🙂

By the way, I’ll have to check this, but I believe the Queen’s Beasts Completer was not designed by Jody Clark, although of course it uses the 10 beasts designed by him for the series.

26 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I wholeheartedly agree. 🙂

By the way, I’ll have to check this, but I believe the Queen’s Beasts Completer was not designed by Jody Clark, although of course it uses the 10 beasts designed by him for the series.

According to the this article on the royal mints site he did: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/queens-beasts/the-completer-coin/behind-the-design/

One very interesting fact though, the royal mint didn't even make him aware that they were using his design for the Memorial sovereign! He found out at the same time we all did. I guess because he created it when he was an employee they must have the rights to use it: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClqTx2ijP6z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

11 hours ago, Heirlooms said:

According to the this article on the royal mints site he did: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/queens-beasts/the-completer-coin/behind-the-design/

One very interesting fact though, the royal mint didn't even make him aware that they were using his design for the Memorial sovereign! He found out at the same time we all did. I guess because he created it when he was an employee they must have the rights to use it: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClqTx2ijP6z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for that. I’m not sure where I got the idea he wasn’t involved in the Completer. I must be mixing memories with something else. 🙂