• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Binlord of the week on ebay

dicker

At least they are offering free economy delivery:D. if ebay wanted to get rid of these idiots, they should charge a 5% listing fee which you get back once an item sells. It would remove all these stupid listing overnight. Suddenly ebay would return to being a platform to get good deals. 

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

At least they are offering free economy delivery:D. if ebay wanted to get rid of these idiots, they should charge a 5% listing fee which you get back once an item sells. It would remove all these stupid listing overnight. Suddenly ebay would return to being a platform to get good deals. 

At least they are accepting offers😎

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

3 hours ago, Spyder said:

How can anyone not notice a fake like this a mile off.

What's the most noticeable issue with that one?  Picture quality is so poor I can't immediately tell either way, but I am still new to this so grateful for any tips.

Edward is near enough bald. That fake has him having plenty of hair. George VI fake is even worse.  Every one who buys sovereigns should look at plenty of photos of what the real coins should look like. Look at also the rim of the fakes, completely different.

Have a look at this and then go back and look at the fake 

1906 H.jpg

Edited by Spyder

10 minutes ago, Minted said:

What's the most noticeable issue with that one?  Picture quality is so poor I can't immediately tell either way, but I am still new to this so grateful for any tips.

5 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Edward is near enough bald. That fake has him having plenty of hair. George VI fake is even worse.  Every one who buys sovereigns should look at plenty of photos of what the real coins should look like.

Have a look at this and then go back and look at the fake 

1906 H.jpg

It is difficulty to see the difference from poor quality pictures of possible genuine coins. There are more mints, the coins were circulated, so in my opinion the coin can be fake or can be genuine.

Check the hair on this coin: (BullionByPost image)

Screenshot_20230616-143335.thumb.png.cc9d965b63ebaf4834be9df82751edc6.png

5 minutes ago, stefffana said:

It is difficulty to see the difference from poor quality pictures of possible genuine coins. There are more mints, the coins were circulated, so in my opinion the coin can be fake or can be genuine.

Check the hair on this coin: (BullionByPost image)

Screenshot_20230616-143335.thumb.png.cc9d965b63ebaf4834be9df82751edc6.png

Most Edwards are sold in used condition like the photo, I put up.  The fakes would be less noticeable if they were made to look circulated and worn.

6 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Most Edwards are sold in used condition like the photo, I put up.  The fakes would be less noticeable if they were made to look circulated and worn.

More worrying for me is not the hair, but the lettering on obverse, where is written 

EDWARDVS VII DEI:GRA: BRITT: OMN: REX FEF:DEF: IND: IMP: instead

EDWARDVS VII D:G: BRITT: OMN: REX F:D: IND: IMP:.

The lettering on the coin from Ebay is identical a on the double sovereign obverse.

image.thumb.png.02dfe4509cf4095e3f153774745c054f.png

2 hours ago, Minted said:

It's hard to put into words exactly, but to anyone who has handled lots of coins or seen plenty of genuine ones, the fake looks like a clip art of sorts.

The real coins have a depth to the strike, the details are made by varying the relief in areas. The fake looks like all modern coins of very low relief where the detail is made by adding in lots of lines into the design. Lines which give hair detail that Edward coins really shouldn't have.

19 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

I'd get caught out by many of the fakes posted here, thanks for shedding light on these

Same here.  There are lots of red flags on that advert (pic quality, cheap postage, low feedback, sellers other items, etc) but I wouldn't have spotted it was a fake visually.  Think the idea that anyone could spot it a mile off was a bit of an exaggeration.  I couldn't even tell you what my own hair looks like without a direct comparison, let alone KE7's! 😄

For Sov's & half Sov's I've been checking the quality of the strike, perfection of edging, colour of the gold, size & typeface of date and text...but I never thought to check the actual head image.  Some monarchs have several images through the years so I would expect some difference in them.  Probably best I don't buy any more old Sov's from eBay without carefully comparing to a known genuine one of the same year.

5 hours ago, Spyder said:

This is not so materially different from the counterfeit half sovereign you advertised on TSF yesterday.  (If anyone disagrees, I am very happy to pay for the PCGS / NGC grading).

I am not being rude, but if you cannot discriminate between a real half Sov and one that is a crude counterfeit, criticising ebay items seems odd. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

As a mason sees from a distance a brick that has not passed the fire treatment well, as a blacksmith recognizes a type of steel only by the sound of vibrations and a breeder knows all possible and impossible breeds of domestic animals, so Dicker is an expert in sovereigns. He dedicated many years to this passion, studying coins, books, graphics, images, varieties, types and errors and he is always happy to share with others his knowledge.

But @dicker, not everyone has as many years in this hobby as you, some of us are just getting started, aren't we? 😊

In @Spyder's defense, I could mention the following very important things:

1. He tested the alloy and the technical characteristics of the coin with the Sigma device and with the scale, probably as well with a caliper.

2. Presented real and quality pictures of the coin.

3. He immediately withdrew the coin from sale, having complete confidence in your expertise, proving that he really cares a lot about his reputation on the forum.

I'm sure it was just an error, not an attempt to trick other forum members.

Kindest regards,

Stefan.

1 hour ago, dicker said:

This is not so materially different from the counterfeit half sovereign you advertised on TSF yesterday.  (If anyone disagrees, I am very happy to pay for the PCGS / NGC grading).

I am not being rude, but if you cannot discriminate between a real half Sov and one that is a crude counterfeit, criticising ebay items seems odd. 

On 08/01/2023 at 18:27, Spyder said:

Well said that man, you get today's gold star and go to the top of the class

Ah I see how this works.  Spider is here to educate and school the good folk of the forum….

Listen you have been on my back since the day I joined. If anyone one wants to go and read the thread I started about bartering and how upset you got. 

I said yesterday that it was an honest mistake and careless. I thanked you in the listing but you can not drop it. A decent member would have messaged me privately, but not you had to do publicly. You sir have no class.

My advice, instead off paying to have the coin tested, use it to buy some manners. No one likes a big head, Mr KNOW IT ALL.  Oh and by the way I am not trying to be rude.