• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New 'Lion of England' coin - views on the design?

RDHC

Personally I am rather put off by the extreme snarling posture that has been imposed on the Lion. For similar reasons I wasn't entirely enamoured of its predecessor in the Queen's Beasts series, but I'm afraid I think that artistically this one is worse. Of course a lion is full of strength and, if need be, aggression, but it ought also to have its majestic and dignified side fully brought out. Only my opinion. Doubtless others will disagree. For comparison, I like the lion in the 2001 Britannia gold proof, where it is full of suppressed power and, perhaps, a touch of menace, but it does not need to be shown snarling and growling to make an impact.

Much like Music legends (and James Bond?) series I feel the Tudor Beasts will just fade away. It’s pretty forgettable IMHO.

This lion does look pretty garbage though, the little crown on its head looks particularly ridiculous to me.

Edited by Shep

12 hours ago, Shep said:

Much like Music legends (and James Bond?) series I feel the Tudor Beasts will just fade away. It’s pretty forgettable IMHO.

This lion does look pretty garbage though, the little crown on its head looks particularly ridiculous to me.

Good point about the crown, which I had not fully noticed whilst being appalled by the poor creature's expression.

Yes the designs are taken from mythical heraldic beasts which is why the designs look like cartoons .

The series might grow on us yet .

i will pick a few bullion up and try latter to pick some proofs up at bullion prices as they come back to the market 👍

Good luck to those collecting this series but the designs, from whatever source, are just not good imho. As one commentator said here, these will easily be picked up at a lower price in a year or more….and to be honest, even then, I would still not be interested. The design is just too tacky for me.

48 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Good luck to those collecting this series but the designs, from whatever source, are just not good imho. As one commentator said here, these will easily be picked up at a lower price in a year or more….and to be honest, even then, I would still not be interested. The design is just too tacky for me.

I think what makes them look worse is there's nothing else really on the rest of the coin,rather blank boring background etc makes the subject matter stand out more...

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

The Royal Mint responding to customer complaints hires new consultants to join the Coin Design Selection Committee.

istockphoto-165075571-612x612.jpg.36b664694b19bc438829836e545d9117.jpg

They also get their quality control staff from the same place.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Royal Mint on TV this morning … on Morning Live. Showed them making the anniversary 50p. Must have filmed a while ago as it showed you a man actually working on the 1kg gold coin. 600 hours of work!