• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What PM will perform well during the rise of electric cars?

It's clear that electric car production is really going to ramp up over the next several years, and that the demand for catalytic converters will dwindle accordingly.

During that period, I can imagine platinum, rhodium and palladium all being a bit risky simply because most of their production currently ends up being used in cats. Will their prices plummet when this demand has gone?

Are there any obvious precious metal opportunities relating specifically to the production of electric car motors, car batteries, car electronics and so on?

Copper seems an obvious choice at the cheap end, but what precious metals would you bet on?

lithium and aluminium

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

2 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

lithium and aluminium

I'm not sure they count as precious metals (yet!) but a lithium coin would be an interesting thing to have :D 

Actually, even an aluminium coin would be neat. At least it wouldn't tarnish!

I thought about this a while ago and came up with Neodymium and boron. These are both rare and make the magnets to drive electric motors. Another thing I looked at was tin for the solder and was looking at what direction it was heading. Currently there is a replacement for tin which is a electo conductive glue and its main component is silver 

4 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Does anyone have a electric car? I am wondering what parts need replacing at a service. 

Bearings, tyres and brakes will always be consumables no matter what the method of propulsion is. Probably not many opportunities there, though!

4 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Claims for personal injury by mobile phone using pedestrians as they wont hear the car coming 😂

Mobile ringtones were an inexplicably big business over a decade ago.

Maybe downloadable vehicle tones will becone the next big thing when they become a legal requirement 😂

4 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I'm not sure they count as precious metals (yet!) but a lithium coin would be an interesting thing to have :D 

Actually, even an aluminium coin would be neat. At least it wouldn't tarnish!

Aluminium coin?

By request:

1975mozambiqueonecentimoobv400.jpg.79a0f01de6ae78c523367b070ab0c6e0.jpg

1975 Mozambique One Centimo Coin

1975mozambiqueonecentimorev400.jpg.52c8e4f1f875f36d22b143ff712d3dd9.jpg

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1975mozambique1centimo.html

15 Million mintage, but rarer than a Kew Gardens fifty pence.

Chards

2 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Does anyone have a electric car? I am wondering what parts need replacing at a service. 

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Bearings, tyres and brakes will always be consumables no matter what the method of propulsion is. Probably not many opportunities there, though!

Yes, 4 of them in total. 

2 x MG ZS EV, 1 Renault Zoe, 1 x Tesla Model 3.

Servicing depends on the make and model, but:

Replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla cars require no traditional oil changes, fuel filters, spark plug replacements or emission checks. As electric cars, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes.

Air Conditioning Service
Air conditioning service replaces the A/C desiccant bag for better longevity and efficiency of your air conditioning system. Tesla recommends following the following air conditioning service schedule:

Model 3    Tesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 6 years.

🙂

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, 4 of them in total. 

2 x MG ZS EV, 1 Renault Zoe, 1 x Tesla Model 3.

Servicing depends on the make and model, but:

Replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla cars require no traditional oil changes, fuel filters, spark plug replacements or emission checks. As electric cars, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes.

Air Conditioning Service
Air conditioning service replaces the A/C desiccant bag for better longevity and efficiency of your air conditioning system. Tesla recommends following the following air conditioning service schedule:

Model 3    Tesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 6 years.

🙂

Ive heard that the downside to owning a Telsa is the tyres wear out quicker due the weight of them. is this True?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Ive heard that the downside to owning a Telsa is the tyres wear out quicker due the weight of them. is this True?

I don't think the heavier weight would cause much tyre wear, it's probably more related to the driver's right foot, and the acceleration. 😎

Chards

I just  saw a video of a man servicin one under ramps and he blamed the weight and the tyres were balder than elton john!

But maybe your right Ive ridden in one - they can go like!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I always assumed it was because electric cars can accelerate like poop off a shovel 😄

Not all!

0-100 kph:

2021 Hyundai IONIQ Electric 10 secs

2022 Hyundai Kona Electric 7.9

2022 Kia Niro EV (e-Niro) 7.5

2022 Nissan LEAF S (40 kWh) 7.4

2021 BMW i3 7.2

Chards

4 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I just  saw a video of a man servicin one under ramps and he blamed the weight and the tyres were balder than elton john!

But maybe your right Ive ridden in one - they can go like!

I'll bet he went like a rocket!

Man!

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I hear the weight really adds up when you go all fancy and start using half sovereigns as tyre balancing weights 😄

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I'll bet he went like a rocket!

Man!

😎

well its gonna be long long time till I touch down on a tesla! 

As Im just a poor IT guy....  and im not soveriiegn maaaan like you mr c!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

I hear the weight really adds up when you go all fancy and start using half sovereigns as tyre balancing weights 😄

It's funny you should say that:

i8-with2kilobritanniaaswheelscrop.thumb.jpg.9498d5dc1c7a39396c31d77ed524b983.jpg

These were two kilo silver Britannias

Of course, this is off-topic, as this is a hybrid, not pure electric.

😎

Chards

I have heard that servicing costs are low for Teslas from friends that own them.

There are of course tax benefits to owning electric cars both as an employee with a company car and a business owning / leasing a company car.  I haven’t done a spreadsheet on the ownership costs but the people I know driving teslas are accountants and smart with money…

In terms of EV materials, rare earth magnets are important and there has been research into replacing sodium for lithium in batteries.   Also weight reducing composites are likely evolve to build lighter stronger vehicles - it is possibly better to invest in companies creating composite materials.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

I have heard that servicing costs are low for Teslas from friends that own them.

There are of course tax benefits to owning electric cars both as an employee with a company car and a business owning / leasing a company car.  I haven’t done a spreadsheet on the ownership costs but the people I know driving teslas are accountants and smart with money…

In terms of EV materials, rare earth magnets are important and there has been research into replacing sodium for lithium in batteries.   Also weight reducing composites are likely evolve to build lighter stronger vehicles - it is possibly better to invest in companies creating composite materials.

Best

Dicker

Good shout that makes me think of Titanium light strong and tough!