• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What PM will perform well during the rise of electric cars?

I think with use of PM's of all kinds in the manufacture of EV's in the future will lead to an increase in car crimes for the metals...you only have to look at the high crime rate for knobheads jacking up cars to get to the Platinum out of  the cat converters....the more PM's that go into the manufacturing of electric cars..the more cars are going to be jacked for their metal components...we shall see in years to come.....

4 hours ago, CANV said:

The tipping point will be when they ‘MAKE’ petrol too expensive for the plebs..   take all the tax off and see where the real power per pound is for the ability to drive around the country.   It’s not electricity 

I think it is fairly well known that 75% of the UK price of petrol and diesel is tax, and without tax, the cost would be very similar to that of electricity. 

Electricity is of course, much cleaner at the point of use than hydrocarbons, and can be generated cleanly, despite production and demand not being in synch with each other. I am sure that much of this imbalance problem will be solved eventually.

It is already known that the Exchequer has started to lose tax revenue by the switch from taxed hydrocarbons to untaxed electricity. This will only progress until the hydrocarbon fuel tax take dwindles to zero.

Chards

2 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I think with use of PM's of all kinds in the manufacture of EV's in the future will lead to an increase in car crimes for the metals...you only have to look at the high crime rate for knobheads jacking up cars to get to the Platinum out of  the cat converters....the more PM's that go into the manufacturing of electric cars..the more cars are going to be jacked for their metal components...we shall see in years to come.....

At least the theft of petrol and diesel will decline with the uptake of electric vehicles, although probably not for a few years yet.

Chards

3 hours ago, CANV said:

or a 15 k diesel ford for at least the next 5 years that will do 30k miles a year at 50 mpg. . these electric things are only remotely viable due to tax..  thats tax on petrol, diesel and road tax..  

Yes it is the future. or hydrogen is, or something else. its all very VHS Betamax at the moment  

no one has costed the environmental damage of batteries for cars..  although the manufacturing process for the overall car is far simpler 

my concern is thats its the least well off that get priced out of nation wide mobility in the rush to save 0.001 per cent of the carbon output of the humans on this planet. 

The least well off can't afford a car at all, and have to cycle or walk. 😎

(I have ignored public transport).

Chards

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Electric cars I believe first introduced in America in the 1920's...so not a new concept....only problem is we would have to have a ceiling cage to produce the electricity to the car through a conductor....any ideas.😆😆

Dodgems, or bumper cars, are small, electric- powered vehicles often found at amusement parks and fairs. Each car runs on electricity, with a motor powering a main drive wheel. ... Each dodgem is surrounded by a rubber bumper that offers passengers some cushioning from impacts.

Screenshot_20211020-211145_Google.jpg

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Electric cars I believe first introduced in America in the 1920's...so not a new concept....only problem is we would have to have a ceiling cage to produce the electricity to the car through a conductor....any ideas.😆😆

Dodgems, or bumper cars, are small, electric- powered vehicles often found at amusement parks and fairs. Each car runs on electricity, with a motor powering a main drive wheel. ... Each dodgem is surrounded by a rubber bumper that offers passengers some cushioning from impacts.

Screenshot_20211020-211145_Google.jpg

Toil foil hats on water powered car.....

https://anonhq.com/inventors-killed/

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

19 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Much earlier:

In 1884 Thomas Parker built the first electric production car in London that used his own high-capacity rechargeable batteries.

That was followed, in 1889-1891, by William Morrison introducing a very simple electric wagon to the USA.

Ferdinand Porsche started the Porsche brand with an electric car? In 1898, Ferdinand Porsche created the Egger-Lohner C.2 Phaeton, a vehicle that was powered by hub-mounted motors that drove the wheels. 

Chards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, StackemHigh said:

How much of the electricity used will be clean energy? I would have thought that much of todays power will still be Gas or Coal.

Assuming everyone will be using the national grid to charge their cars, this is the current status.

Its looks promising, as fossil fuels stood at about 54% five years ago - and it's only going to get better if the goal is to eliminate fossil fuel use entirely by 2035.

image.thumb.png.e616c7025c917e1ae1a65a4337f98e68.png

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Assuming everyone will be using the national grid to charge their cars, this is the current status.

Its looks promising, as fossil fuels stood at about 54% five years ago - and it's only going to get better if the goal is to eliminate fossil fuel use entirely by 2035.

image.thumb.png.e616c7025c917e1ae1a65a4337f98e68.png

I fail to see how this can be true! The UK still has 3 coal powered power stations one in northern ireland and two in england! These three produce nearly 5GW of power. With the gas powered stations there must be between 20 or 30 of them. 

1 minute ago, StackemHigh said:

I fail to see how this can be true! The UK still has 3 coal powered power stations one in northern ireland and two in england! These three produce nearly 5GW of power. With the gas powered stations there must be between 20 or 30 of them. 

The coal ones probably aren't being used right now.

14 minutes ago, StevenDS said:

I would guess Electric is going to fail. Charging time too long. Performance sucks, even more so during winter time.

I'm betting hydrogen will take over which will allow a PM play.

I've been thinking this, I work in the motoring industry any we are on a car scheme. The only thing available at the moment is electric (at the cheap end). This is mainly due to the chip shortage so they must use different chips. I would say 90% of the people have handed them back, they are just not practical for long distances. Personally I feel like this is the mini disc of the current time. A great move forward until CDs came out.

• 4 months later...