• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

‘Limited Edition’ Silver Coins

Hello all,

There are a number of colourised silver coins knocking around on eBay & this one in particular caught my eye (see image below).

I think the detail looks amazing & I love the fact that you can still see the original coin underneath.

Does anyone else have any of these types of coins in their stack? 

5B1807DC-904C-4671-8B33-EE952453DD8D.png

Not for me either .... And I like giraffes.  It doesn't fit into my idea of stacking, investment or flipping.  You will likely find few people interested in it if you resell and I seriously doubt they will be willing to cover the premium you paid

I seriously doubt you will be able to see any return of invest on such pieces. That is not to say shouldn't buy it, if you personally like it. Guilty pleasures in silver are relatively cheap.

I always think if I concentrate on what I'm stacking for, I can stray off my ways occasionally. You have a 100 ounce foundation, if I recall correctly, a special ounce here or there won't hurt you. If you don't fall into a habit of getting every shiny (read: overpriced) thing out there, thus reducing the substance of your stack, you should be fine.

I loathe coins that have pictures printed on them. In my view you either collect the coin or buy a picture, combining the two has zero appeal.

I often have a little groan when i see mints (the RM especially) issuing coloured coins. Silver will tarnish over the years, what are they going to look like in 20 or 30 years time ? In my head i picture those hazy, green tattoos that can be seen on pensioners arms. You know the ones where you get caught staring at whilst trying to decypher what they once represented (or maybe that's just me)....

Thanks for all the replies! However  I’ve got a little confession to make… 

I might of already purchased it 😇

It does actually look really great in real life & I’m glad I got it, however I’ve taken your advise onboard and won’t be making a habit of purchasing coins like this.

Thanks again! 

5 minutes ago, Mothballjim said:

It does actually look really great in real life & I’m glad I got it, however I’ve taken your advise onboard and won’t be making a habit of purchasing coins like this.

Thanks again! 

If you're happy then it's money well spent. Nice coin.

26 minutes ago, Mothballjim said:

I already knew that - I came upon it while I was checking out your other videos :D  I liked the one with the watch case, as that sort of storage solution had never occurred to me.

If you like the giraffe coin, that's great!  I probably would have bought a similar coin as a one-off if the picture was something I was really, really interested in, but giraffes do not float my boat. 

Don't let what other people like/dislike stop you from buying other things you like. Not everything you enjoy in life has to be an investment.

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I already knew that - I came upon it while I was checking out your other videos :D  I liked the one with the watch case, as that sort of storage solution had never occurred to me.

If you like the giraffe coin, that's great!  I probably would have bought a similar coin as a one-off if the picture was something I was really, really interested in, but giraffes do not float my boat. 

Don't let what other people like/dislike stop you from buying other things you like. Not everything you enjoy in life has to be an investment.

You stalker! 😂 I actually bought the watch case for my watches but then realised how perfect fit it was for 1oz coins!

48 minutes ago, Mothballjim said:

Thanks again! 

As an investment it is tat. As a thing of beauty, it is lovely. My walls are decorated with lots of pieces of art that i would never sell because I find them to be pleasing to the heart, the eye and the soul. You may be the only person in the world that likes it, that is enough. In the early 80s I went to an auction and there was a two foot wide Chinese plate. It was pleasant enough to look at and worth £20 max. Bidding started and one bidder gave me a dirty look. That did it for me and my pockets were deeper and I won the bid at £100. Five times its worth. My "stupidity plate" has pride of place on the wall. A constant reminder that emotion and investment are not good bed fellows. My better half hates the collage shown at the bottom left of the image, I love it.

IMG_20211003_183009.jpg

Edited by HillWalkerDundee

2 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

As an investment it is tat. As a thing of beauty, it is lovely. My walls are decorated with lots of pieces of art that i would never sell because I find them to be pleasing to the heart, the eye and the soul. You may be the only person in the world that likes it, that is enough. In the early 80s I went to an auction and there was a two foot wide Chinese plate. It was pleasant enough to look at and worth £20 max. Bidding started and one bidder gave me a dirty look. That did it for me and my pockets were deeper and I won the bid at £100. Five times its worth. My "stupidity plate" has pride of place on the wall. A constant reminder that emotion and investment are not good bed fellows. My better half hates the collage shown at the bottom left of the image, I love it.

IMG_20211003_183009.jpg

I actually really like your stupidity plate, and the fact it tells a story is even better!

1 minute ago, Mothballjim said:

I actually really like your stupidity plate, and the fact it tells a story is even better!

Lol. My partner would love you. She views it as hers now. I had it boxed up for 25 years before she found it and insisted on putting it on display.

On 03/10/2021 at 21:17, HillWalkerDundee said:

Lol. My partner would love you. She views it as hers now. I had it boxed up for 25 years before she found it and insisted on putting it on display.

Hopefully it will be worth a fortune in a few years time and then it’s a win win! 

• 11 months later...

I can safely confirm that 1 year on into my stacking journey and I only have a handful of these types of coins. My main goal is weight and as close to spot as possible. 

However, I do keep crawling back to some coins/bars that carry a premium 🤦🏻‍♂️