• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 Gold Laurel

Britannia47

https://harringtonandbyrne.co.uk/laurel-gold-coin-2021/

Saw this in a newspaper yesterday - aimed at the gullible public?  Its 0.5gm (62nd oz)!!  That's equiv. to £2425 an oz. Any one on the SF interested? Thought initially it was something from the London Mint Office who also go in for the tiniest gold coins, and present them as something much larger. Its time that 'actual size' is printed as well. Would Granny understand what size a coin of 11mm dia. actually is when buying a present for the grand children for example? As far as I know only 'Coincraft' in their 'Phoenix' news paper does 'actual size' printing, so as not to mislead buyers. Once again a remnant of the British Empire has been targeted - 'TDC' hidden in the illustration. Obviously I hope the massive population of 244 people on Tristan da Cunha do well.

Of course H&B have offered fairly priced sovereigns to SF members, but this one is surely taking the biscuit?!

NB. Look at QE2s portrait - never seen anything like it!

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Saw this in a newspaper yesterday - aimed at the gullible public?  Its 0.5gm (62nd oz)!!  That's equiv. to £2425 an oz. Any one on the SF interested?

The Royal Mint are selling their 1oz proof gold Year of the Tiger for £2,440 - so this is not dissimilar.  And £39 for the coin post free is not bad.  At least you can't lose much money with it!

8 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

The Royal Mint are selling their 1oz proof gold Year of the Tiger for £2,440 - so this is not dissimilar.  And £39 for the coin post free is not bad.  At least you can't lose much money with it!

But if you sneezed....you would lose the coin..😷

The issue here is not the price of gold. It's about Marketing companies taking advantage of the public through their advertising. There have been many joint projects in the past, such as The Pobjoy Mint & Isle of Man,(Sovereigns and Bullion), East India company and St Helena, London Mint Office/Angela Pistrucci Sovereigns (Gibraltar) and so on. Some are better than others. It may be unfair to criticise these co-operative ventures, with the RM being the largest Marketing company of them all.... nothing untoward there except their hyper inflated prices for buy back sovereigns perhaps. Anyway, back to the Laurel coin, I'm not sure when  a profit could be made even at £39. But good-luck to anyone who buys it. 

I'm off to play with my 100 gm Metalor gold bar - or 200 of the above coins!

17 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

The issue here is not the price of gold. It's about Marketing companies taking advantage of the public through their advertising. There have been many joint projects in the past, such as The Pobjoy Mint & Isle of Man,(Sovereigns and Bullion), East India company and St Helena, London Mint Office/Angela Pistrucci Sovereigns (Gibraltar) and so on. Some are better than others. It may be unfair to criticise these co-operative ventures, with the RM being the largest Marketing company of them all.... nothing untoward there except their hyper inflated prices for buy back sovereigns perhaps. Anyway, back to the Laurel coin, I'm not sure when  a profit could be made even at £39. But good-luck to anyone who buys it. 

I'm off to play with my 100 gm Metalor gold bar - or 200 of the above coins!

The only one you mentioned above that's imo a pretty good mint is the EIC, they have produced some very fine coins.

8 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Saw this in a newspaper yesterday - aimed at the gullible public?  Its 0.5gm (62nd oz)!!  That's equiv. to £2425 an oz. Any one on the SF interested? Thought initially it was something from the London Mint Office who also go in for the tiniest gold coins, and present them as something much larger. Its time that 'actual size' is printed as well. Would Granny understand what size a coin of 11mm dia. actually is when buying a present for the grand children for example? As far as I know only 'Coincraft' in their 'Phoenix' news paper does 'actual size' printing, so as not to mislead buyers. Once again a remnant of the British Empire has been targeted - 'TDC' hidden in the illustration. Obviously I hope the massive population of 244 people on Tristan da Cunha do well.

Of course H&B have offered fairly priced sovereigns to SF members, but this one is surely taking the biscuit?!

Featuring Queen Trisha!

177476582_2021QueenElizabethIIGoldLaurelCoinTDCHarringtonandByrne.thumb.jpg.c28d6386ce39f28de5166bfe1528e2fc.jpg

At least that's what I can read from the obverse image.

To be fair, it does say Tristan da Cunha in the small print.

😎

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Featuring Queen Trisha!

177476582_2021QueenElizabethIIGoldLaurelCoinTDCHarringtonandByrne.thumb.jpg.c28d6386ce39f28de5166bfe1528e2fc.jpg

At least that's what I can read from the obverse image.

To be fair, it does say Tristan da Cunha in the small print.

😎

Exactly, Its in the small print! Granny will need her glasses!  Queenie with a laurel in her hair? -  Who does she thinks she is, Queen Victoria?

7 hours ago, Zhorro said:

At least you can't lose much money with it!

And as it is probably legal tender in Tristan da Cunha, you could probably buy £5 worth of fuel for it in TDC.

I wonder if Julian (Brett) Richardson is up for the challenge? 😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Well, they are not the only ones, at least the RM belongs to the treasury, so the money goes back into the 'system'.

My issue with H&B would be the same as @Britannia47 - they are misleading, I suspect, the older, Telegraph type readers who think they are investing for children and family.

But the kicker is, in their last accounts, the directors took dividends and created share value to the tune of £1.8 million, which by most standards maybe rather a lot, some may say excessive, given their business model.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

12 minutes ago, Coverte said:

Well, they are not the only ones, at least the RM belongs to the treasury, so the money goes back into the 'system'.

My issue with H&B would be the same as @Britannia47 - they are misleading, I suspect, the older, Telegraph type readers who think they are investing for children and family.

But the kicker is, in their last accounts, the directors took dividends and created share value to the tune of £1.8 million, which by most standards maybe rather a lot, some may say excessive, given their business model.

And that surprises you???? 🤔🤔

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

And that surprises you???? 🤔🤔

No, not at all, in the past I've looked at 2 other 'minting/sales' companies doing a very similar exercise/s, their numbers and dividends were very also very healthy, to say the least.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

2 hours ago, Coverte said:

Sounds like I need to finally cancel our subscription to The Telegraph! 🙂

Chards

20 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sounds like I need to finally cancel our subscription to The Telegraph! 🙂

I already have, could probably get access through a family member who still gets it delivered 😲 - but I find the Times a more balanced and well filled subscription to pay for now.

3 hours ago, pricha said:

I know an elderly lady who is fleeced by Harrington & Byrne every few months buying over priced stuff. She is an intelligent person and has certainly has all her faculties . I've tried to explain, but she won't take notice of a simple uneducated lad like me 😉 . Each to their own. 

keep popping round for tea and biscuits 

tell her they are wonderful

you might get a surprise in her will

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 11:34, Britannia47 said:

Well, I bought one, and it has arrived.  As I said earlier, at £39 (including postage), I can't lose much and it is well produced.

Laurel.jpg