• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Selling

Lucylucy

I have a set of 24 Silver (.999) 1 Oz coins in a wooden box which I was unable to sell on eBay for  less than spot value.

They are in beautiful condition and encapsulated.

Am I being delusional in expecting to get at least spot value?

Thanks

Definitely not delusional, but I'd be weary of seeing an ad on ebay for a set of 24oz 999 silver for less than spot. Unfortunately ebay is littered with fakes and dodgy listings, so it may not be the best avenue to sell this particular set. I'd say that if you put it up on the forum for less than spot, it'll be gone within a day.

23 minutes ago, Lucylucy said:

I have a set of 24 Silver (.999) 1 Oz coins in a wooden box which I was unable to sell on eBay for  less than spot value.

They are in beautiful condition and encapsulated.

Am I being delusional in expecting to get at least spot value?

Thanks

I didn't see any listing on eBay for a set of 24 but watched your other sets sell at the last minute.
Would you care to state which coins you have in this set please.

You can post an auction on the forum starting below spot plus shipping and let it see how it goes on from there.

Price is just a suggestion though, you do the price you feel comfortable selling the set for (at least/minimum).

Good luck ! :)

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

Thanks for all the comments.

I see that you saw the eBay offers - I entered 10 lots of which only the Australian Lunar 1 & 2 sold -0 as you say last minute.

The other lots were 5 separate sets of  10- 5- 2 -1 and 1/2 oz  (18.5 oz) Perth Mint Lunar coloured at £550 which had watchers but no bids. Similarly there was a display box of 15 and a display box of 13 all different 1 oz bars again no bids. These have also been on the Forum as have my boxed set of 2 oz Queens Beasts - no bids on Ebay and no response from the Forum at £690 which I thought was a fair price.

However the set in question is a complete set of Solomon Islands Fighting Ships I think I made a mistake in asking for a  starting bid of £400 (i.e. £16 per ounce!). However no one took the offer up and I still have them, and will keep them unless I get a sensible price.

I have sold quite a lot to forum members, and I am sure that those concerned would think they got the coins at reasonable prices

Regarding the QBs, I agree, a very fair price. I think you may have more success in selling them separately. Many I suspect (like myself) got one or two, then got hooked, so don't want a full set. I watch individual ones fairly closely on eBay. You are looking for an average of £69 each, and while a couple of the more recent ones may not quite reach that, most of them are quite hard to find on eBay for less than £70. I found on eBay for QBs, even buying in lots of two, you get a much better deal (as a buyer) than buying them individually. So as a seller, stupid (and sacrilegious) as it may sound, I would go for selling singles and then sell the case as a separate item.

With reference to eBay I have noted regularly that two sellers offering the same coin -

Seller A starts bids at 99 pence, gets maybe 15 incremental bids and the coin sells for £35
Seller B starts bids at £30, gets no bids and the coin doesn't sell.

Fine silver coins are rarely sold below spot price and currently around £24+ at best.
When you have a full set to sell you are already attached to the set and feel it is worth something to another collector.
Unfortunately it is all about luck in finding a set buyer when your coins are up for sale.

Worst case a bullion dealer might offer you close to spot and without the fees is better than underselling on eBay.
Either sell the coins individually at a fair price and people will buy because they are buying 999 silver and adding a different coin to their collection, or hold until nearer Christmas and try again.

Just now, Bigmarc said:

There is definitely some strange things going on. I got out bid by 200 quid on this lot. Unless I am missing something.

Screenshot_20210831-192154-407.thumb.png.fc5551628717cc257cece1f6935f3002.png

That's a friend buying as to low for the seller and then will cancel buying. I bet these are back up within the week.

Why post on the forum saying you couldn't get spot for 999 coins on ebay? Have you advertised them on here?
i would say you haven't b/c they would have sold.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

(I still have the coins.

All that I was asking was for a fair price  for these coins for sale. The reason that I put them on Ebay was to take advantage of their commission offer - my mistake.

I am totally at a loss with valuations - the advice is to look at sold listings on Ebay but they tend to vary a great deal- I suppose that is case with auctions.

For instance I have a full date run of Britannias including the 1997 proof (which sold between £150 and £250) together with all of the varieties apart from the Pig edge. How  do I get a fair asking price?

Also a full date run of American Eagles which are perhaps easier to value as bullion. 

The Solomon - Islands coins which prompted this post  - individual coins are priced at £50 on Ebay - how do I determine a fair asking price?

9 minutes ago, Lucylucy said:

(I still have the coins.

All that I was asking was for a fair price  for these coins for sale. The reason that I put them on Ebay was to take advantage of their commission offer - my mistake.

I am totally at a loss with valuations - the advice is to look at sold listings on Ebay but they tend to vary a great deal- I suppose that is case with auctions.

For instance I have a full date run of Britannias including the 1997 proof (which sold between £150 and £250) together with all of the varieties apart from the Pig edge. How  do I get a fair asking price?

Also a full date run of American Eagles which are perhaps easier to value as bullion. 

The Solomon - Islands coins which prompted this post  - individual coins are priced at £50 on Ebay - how do I determine a fair asking price?

I don't know if it has now changed, but when they did the former max £1 fees, if it automatically re-listed if no sale/bids, then you still only paid the £1 - according to my son, anyway.

So maybe relist using that auto relising facility next time an offer comes up ?

Ebay becomes a ever growing mystery to me, I really only use it to buy things now where/when Amazon prices are too high, or for obscure parts for one of my old cars.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

6 minutes ago, Lucylucy said:

I may be wrong but I thought that relisted items on Ebay do not qualify for the reduced fees?

So did I - but my son prove me wrong last year, I suspect someone else here maybe better qualified than I, so please do check - but I saw his statement and some items cost only £1 after several re-listings.

(I also note some sellers put there phone number in the images in an endeavor to bypass fees - but best buy a 2nd sim if you do that - I have a cell phone solely used for internet buying, so I can safely ignore most (pushy sales) calls!!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

It is better to try on here an auction with Solomon Islands coins set. The coins are beautiful, 999 silver, can't go wrong if you are starting the auction at £21.75/oz, @ +25% premium. Anyway, it is better than ebay. Any stacker is salivating for cheap silver in premium quality.😊

At the moment my budget is tight, but in another time I'd like to make you an offer for your set.

All the best!

Stefan.

Sub-spot price .999 on TSF? Gone in a Nicholas Cage. For £16 an oz you have silver pourers on here that would take them I bet. It may not be the fate you envisaged for them but that kind of thing is usually a niche market. If you advertised them here individually but with a deal for taking the whole lot I reckon you'd do quite well.

Hi All

I purchased a *stunning* collection of Kooks (as well as a collection of Sovereigns) from @Lucylucy for a price that was I believe fair to both of us, and of course done in an entirely gentlemanly way.  I purchased to build the collection (to completeness) and keep it going (as you may have seen on another thread).  The quality and depth of the collection was enough to break my new rule of not buying more silver!

In my collecting early days I bought coins from ebay and other non TSF sources (a long time ago now) that I was genuinely disappointed with, so it really has been a pleasure buying from @Lucylucy who was kind enough to invite me to see coins at his home.

Those of you who I have bought from will notice that I don't ever haggle on price - I pay the asking price if I think it is fair, which is why I think the forum is the best place to buy and sell, but there are limits to what forum members will pay for larger collections of well priced silver - so I think don't be harsh in judging by selling on ebay if it doesn't sell on the forum. One caveat to this is that if left long enough, I think listings do sell eventually but it takes time (I have approached sellers about items on very old listings and have found them still available).

Not everything that is sold between members is necessarily advertised on the forum (although I think this is not so common).  The forum (from my experience) fosters trusted relationships where members occasionally reach out because of known interests with items for sale.  This is something that I have not ever seen on any other platform, and whilst is not an obvious selling point, has worked very well for me, and I suspect others.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

16 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi All

I purchased a *stunning* collection of Kooks (as well as a collection of Sovereigns) from @Lucylucy for a price that was I believe fair to both of us, and of course done in an entirely gentlemanly way.  I purchased to build the collection (to completeness) and keep it going (as you may have seen on another thread).  The quality and depth of the collection was enough to break my new rule of not buying more silver!

In my collecting early days I bought coins from ebay and other non TSF sources (a long time ago now) that I was genuinely disappointed with, so it really has been a pleasure buying from @Lucylucy who was kind enough to invite me to see coins at his home.

Those of you who I have bought from will notice that I don't ever haggle on price - I pay the asking price if I think it is fair, which is why I think the forum is the best place to buy and sell, but there are limits to what forum members will pay for larger collections of well priced silver - so I think don't be harsh in judging by selling on ebay if it doesn't sell on the forum. One caveat to this is that if left long enough, I think listings do sell eventually but it takes time (I have approached sellers about items on very old listings and have found them still available).

Not everything that is sold between members is necessarily advertised on the forum (although I think this is not so common).  The forum (from my experience) fosters trusted relationships where members occasionally reach out because of known interests with items for sale.  This is something that I have not ever seen on any other platform, and whilst is not an obvious selling point, has worked very well for me, and I suspect others.

Best

Dicker

Boom. 'nuff said.

I'd say splitting them is definitely the way to go unless you can't be bothered sending lots of small packages.

But you could always try selling them in six batches of four if that bothers you.

As they are 999 I wouldn't ask for less than spot + 20% as the melt crew would pay that but I don't how much more than that you could get for the best coins.