• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Afghanistan owns 20.9 tonnes of gold

EdwardTeach

56 minutes ago, Martlet said:

So the claims go, but these are estimated resources, not known economically viable reserves.  Dont believe the hype, lithium is abundant across the world with large reserves in Chile and Australia.  Where are you going to extract your lithium, established mines in stable countries or go prospecting with tribal warlords to deal with.  Near 20 years with no mineral exploitation, why buy into the notion these events are to allow mineral exploitation, when it just got a lot harder not easier?

So your telling me if the west did conquer Afghanistan and the diplomatic means did work and say the west installed someone like Karzhi in power dont you think that he would do a deal with the west to exploit said minerals..... If not I think you are being very niave me old mate..... 

You also have to understand the strategic importance of the country. If a deal was made with the west there would a been an abudance of NATO troops posted there for very long time..... For the record I served in Afghanistan in 2013. I know exactly the reason why we deployed and it aint the narritive many are told..... 

I would educate your self and read john perkins confessions of an economic hitman.

And every tour I went on was econimcally related.

Sierra Leone - diamonds

Iraq - Oil

Afhanistan - Silk road trade minerals and Oil

If you belive that is otherwise why are there NATO troops helping out many african countries with alledged terrorism or genocide or Yemen?

Also Saudi arabia has just brokered a deal with Russia for military support also. They dont care about the west the KSA. 

https://www.breitbart.com/middle-east/2021/08/24/russia-saudi-arabia-sign-military-pact-amid-chaotic-us-withdrawal-afghanistan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+breitbart+(Breitbart+News)

The strategic polars are changing with NATO against Russia/China and its frankly worrying not only economically but militarily.

Edited to add watch this narrated by john perkins 

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

25 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

So your telling me if the west did conquer Afghanistan and the diplomatic means did work and say the west installed someone like Karzhi in power dont you think that he would do a deal with the west to exploit said minerals..... If not I think you are being very niave me old mate..... 

You also have to understand the strategic importance of the country. If a deal was made with the west there would a been an abudance of NATO Trrop posted there for very long time..... For the record I served in Afghanistan in 2013. I know exactly the reason why we deployed and it aint the narritive many are told..... 

I'm certain the West, or China, or anyone would love to get into some mineral exploitation in Afghanistan.  The fact is the country hasn't been stable enough to make that a serious investment proposition, and recent events have make that situation worse.  Unless maybe the Taliban are going make a stable government, provide the legal, infrastructure and security to make prospecting, exploration and mining viable?  The main point is the claims about resources are wildly exaggerated, there might be vast mineral wealth, but its not anywhere near commercial viability. 

On lithium in particular, largest currently known reserves are in Chile and Australia, we'll be exploring and digging around there a long time before venturing into the Afgan mountains.

Edited by Martlet

11 minutes ago, Martlet said:

the Taliban are going make a stable government, provide the legal, infrastructure and security to make prospecting, exploration and mining viable?  The main point is the claims about resources are wildly exaggerated, there might be vast mineral wealth, but its not anywhere near commercial viability. 

The taliban rule under an iron fist, thats it, never going to happen. They just murdereous vile people whom are corrupt to the core. It would never be commerically viable, until the taliban are wiped out, aint going to happen now and what is more concerning they now have more equipment now and better than the british army and many other NATO countries. Afghanistan is the most corrupt country on the planet, the prime minster was seen leaving the country with millions of dollars and gold bullion.... Also the Afghan national army was corrupt - whilst thier generals lived in absolute wealth and the guys on the ground werent even being paid.  If you look at the generals Headquatrers pictures that Taliban took over was like royal palace. Even a western general would have been envious of what he'd seen.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

The fact is the country hasn't been stable enough to make that a serious investment proposition, and recent events have make that situation worse.

What?! The United States put the people into power. Theres a former World Bank person as the President of Afghanistan. What on EARTH are YOU on about?

I swear people cannot be this thick.

3 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

As I said I'm not discussing this..this forum is about precious metals not politics..just agree to disagree...good luck to you.

Stop telling me what to do and also your attempt to backtrack is embarrassing. You clearly dont know what this thread is actually about. Dont quote or reply to me the future regarding threads about Afghanistan honestly… Stay out my way.

8 hours ago, Martlet said:

So the claims go, but these are estimated resources, not known economically viable reserves.  Dont believe the hype, lithium is abundant across the world with large reserves in Chile and Australia.  Where are you going to extract your lithium, established mines in stable countries or go prospecting with tribal warlords to deal with.  Near 20 years with no mineral exploitation, why buy into the notion these events are to allow mineral exploitation, when it just got a lot harder not easier?

I can imagine a deal with the Chinese though for mining rights in exchange for infrastructure such as rail, buildings, roads etc. If they can protect the Chinese workers such a deal should go quite well.

A Country with a GDP of £20 Billion a year (£8 Billion of which was Western foreign aid) and which is banning drugs, will need new industry and selling off their assets and land to the Chinese like Africa has is the easy option. It will fill the pockets of those at the top of the pyramid in Afghan whilst keeping them in power as voters feel life gets better with better 21st Century “stuff”. 🤷‍♂️ 

It will be interesting to see things pan out. I think the Taliban know they need access to modern tech and need to be modern to keep control. Keeping ISIS at bay is their main problem now, civil gorilla style war could be coming. Power vacuums don’t go well. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

9 hours ago, RacerCool said:

It's my belief that the nature of power in this world is that it's all organized crime. The US and Chinese gov'mnts are just rival factions, fighting over the trafficking and control of drugs, people, resources, etc.

Which is nothing new, the European powers did it throughout the 17-20 centuries. The British had the Opium Wars to give just one example.

It's all about exploitation of people and natural resources. If there's any money to be made, I can assure you someone's thought of it.

6 hours ago, Minimalist said:

What?! The United States put the people into power. Theres a former World Bank person as the President of Afghanistan. What on EARTH are YOU on about?

I swear people cannot be this thick.

11 hours ago, Minimalist said:

What a find, mate.

I always state to people I know, friends and family that the US-UK governments sell themselves to special interest groups (military industrial complex and mineral and oil industries). This proceeds to occupations, empires and mass murder campaigns while the conventional troops get killed/caught up in illegal wars. This gets viewed as controversial, or, they attempt to try and withdraw the analysis by attacking with ad hominem attacks or defamation. Its incredible.

Maybe you could constructed a consistent argument rather than go direct to insults?  

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

I can imagine a deal with the Chinese though for mining rights in exchange for infrastructure such as rail, buildings, roads etc. If they can protect the Chinese workers such a deal should go quite well.

A Country with a GDP of £20 Billion a year (£8 Billion of which was Western foreign aid) and which is banning drugs, will need new industry and selling off their assets and land to the Chinese like Africa has is the easy option. It will fill the pockets of those at the top of the pyramid in Afghan whilst keeping them in power as voters feel life gets better with better 21st Century “stuff”. 🤷‍♂️ 

It will be interesting to see things pan out. I think the Taliban know they need access to modern tech and need to be modern to keep control. Keeping ISIS at bay is their main problem now, civil gorilla style war could be coming. Power vacuums don’t go well. 

Possibly, its a big "if" at the start there.  Many businesses from many countries already bought mineral rights over the past decades, US had the country relatively stable (though maybe a facade, only in the cities).  From what i understand they didn't even do much in the way of prospecting on the ground.  The estimates of minerals are based on aerial surveys.  Once you identified a resource and put in some infrastructure to get to it, get materials out, they'll have to deal with the warlords natural corruption highlighted by @HerefordBullyun .  Seems all very tenuous and not something you'd base a strategic plan around, commercial or military.  If they (Chinese-Afghan collaboration) do manage it, then the rest of the world benefits from the extracted minerals and maybe that enhances security to the nation, win all round. 

30 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Possibly, its a big "if" at the start there.  Many businesses from many countries already bought mineral rights over the past decades, US had the country relatively stable (though maybe a facade, only in the cities).  From what i understand they didn't even do much in the way of prospecting on the ground.  The estimates of minerals are based on aerial surveys.  Once you identified a resource and put in some infrastructure to get to it, get materials out, they'll have to deal with the warlords natural corruption highlighted by @HerefordBullyun .  Seems all very tenuous and not something you'd base a strategic plan around, commercial or military.  If they (Chinese-Afghan collaboration) do manage it, then the rest of the world benefits from the extracted minerals and maybe that enhances security to the nation, win all round. 

Although perhaps as a counter-argument (and this is only speculation on my part), if they can't/haven't mined or extracted the minerals for themselves, is there still some value in occupying/controlling an area of untapped resources merely to stop someone else recovering them instead?

Kind of - I bought them, so they couldn't.

7 hours ago, Martlet said:

Maybe you could constructed a consistent argument rather than go direct to insults?

Constructed?

Since you cannot type up a coherent sentence together it comes no surprise to me that you are under the illusion that the West isnt in Afghanistan for specific resources.

Switch off the BBC while you are at it.

Word Bank former Afgan President brother (below)
https://swn.af/en/2021/04/29/president-ghanis-brother-owns-significant-stakes-in-mineral-processing/

'The Pentagon task force has already started trying to help the Afghans set up a system to deal with mineral development. International accounting firms that have expertise in mining contracts have been hired to consult with the Afghan Ministry of Mines, and technical data is being prepared to turn over to multinational mining companies and other potential foreign investors. The Pentagon is helping Afghan officials arrange to start seeking bids on mineral rights by next fall, officials said.'
https://www.mining.com/1-trillion-motherlode-of-lithium-and-gold-discovered-in-afghanistan/

30 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

Word Bank former Afgan President brother (below)
https://swn.af/en/2021/04/29/president-ghanis-brother-owns-significant-stakes-in-mineral-processing/

'The Pentagon task force has already started trying to help the Afghans set up a system to deal with mineral development. International accounting firms that have expertise in mining contracts have been hired to consult with the Afghan Ministry of Mines, and technical data is being prepared to turn over to multinational mining companies and other potential foreign investors. The Pentagon is helping Afghan officials arrange to start seeking bids on mineral rights by next fall, officials said.'
https://www.mining.com/1-trillion-motherlode-of-lithium-and-gold-discovered-in-afghanistan/

The link from 2010 illustrates my point, it begins "A recently unearthed 2007 United States Geological Service survey appears to have discovered nearly $1 trillion in mineral deposits in Afghanistan...".  So many articles on the subject are from that time, it always $1tn from a survey in the mid 00's.  10 years on, where are the more recent surveys, updated estimates, and where are the mines?  Nothing but piecemeal, low level operations to raise pocket money for local warlords. 

11 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:
19 hours ago, Martlet said:

Correct. Russian and Chinese embassies remain inside the head choppers emerite.

Russia and China in talks with Taliban right now https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/china-and-russia-ready-to-help-the-taliban-rebuild-lzhvr8zlq

BBC just put out a throwing out the pram response at 6pm tonight that theres no democracy in Russia and that journalists can only report what the Kremlin state. It was a great chuckle watching that. MI5 doing their dirty work to condition people here to hate Russia and China.

Greta is on right now, saying oil fields are a problem hahahahaha its incredible, all pushed by the Banks to print $5trillion for green energy firms.

Thing is, most people cannot see through it. It doesnt even benefit them yet they champion the mainstream and the bankers.

Its an asylum and a farm.

4 minutes ago, SidS said:

I really hate Greta... I can not abide her not one iota. She makes me want to go out and buy a diesel car and throw a few more logs on that log burner I've got. Sometimes when I sit in that car with the engine running, I smile and think of Greta.

SHE LOVES YOU TOO!

image.png.9ecc382685ed1a1f9920380e962f1cbf.png

On 19/08/2021 at 08:33, Bigmarc said:

Allways amazes me that if you look up countries gold holdings and those that actually mine the gold, how there are only three countries on both lists in the top ten. So many countries mine it but don't hold it. I was also surprised that America has 8000 tons and the UK only has 310. 

On 19/08/2021 at 10:26, modofantasma said:

Have to ask the main man Gordon about the UKs 😂

HM Government Gold Auction Result: 15 May 2001
The Bank of England announces that the gold on offer (approximately 20 tonnes or 643,200 ounces)has been allotted in full at a price of $268.00 per ounce.

Anyone think the gold sales were a good idea?

Anyone think the UK got a good price?

Anybody remember that Gordon got the nickname Golden Brown?

When, years ago, I added that fact to his Wikipedia page, it was removed within minutes. When I queried why, I got tjhe answer that it was a commonly abused page, the reviewer/vigilante had not heard that fact, and I had not cited an authoritative source. Apparently, it was not enough that I knew. I provided a source from a national UK newspaper, and my edit was re-inserted. Fro some reason, I looked for it a few months, and it had again been removed. It is my guess that it was removed for some political reason, or by some Gordon Brown afficionado.

Chards

11 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

“Browns Bottom” the guy is a muppet just like Blair.

Brown's naked bottom hole needs to placed over tony blairs nostrils and vigourously rubbed until he suffocates....