• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

TODAY I SENT BACK!

To run in parallel with today I received It would be a good idea where we can all track what product issues we are all having.  The Silver proof QB are looking problematic.   Also if you could update your post with the action taken replacement/refund it would give everyone a clear view with issues .  This is not solely for Royal Mint it should be for every mint.

Today I'm sending back my SOTD 2021 sovereign.  Got a returns label from the RM Customer.Services@royalmint.com I've emailed them asking them to reserve stock for me as I don't want a refund, I want a replacement.  Had this issue before  by the time you get a returns label (can take a few days) they have sold all their stock, so if you have issues and you want the coin replacing ask them ASAP to hold some stock 

Missing frosting common issue with Matt Sovereigns, also got a thumb print on there reverse of the coin. Will up date if I get a replacement or refund 

return.png

Unfortunately no photos but have seen consistent issues with silver proofs from RM in recent years including the QB proofs. The much older RM silver proofs are fine if looked after properly. I just sold them all on unless they were if an age where any issues would have become apparent. 

Edited by Chorlton
Clearer.

Guy's another thought............

With the  number of the Queens Beast 2oz silver sets are going back, it might be good to talk to others who are sending the sets back, if you have 1 or 2 coins that have issues you could swap them between yourself so at least one of you could make a problem free set up out of the set going back?  It's a complete shame you have to even consider this what you don't want is to simply be palmed of with a refund.  

Seeing imperfect proofs from the RM paints a rather poor picture of the UK.
Shiny regular bullion from the likes of the Perth Mint or the Mexican Libertad proofs demonstrate that good quality control is possible.
Why are so many imperfect high premium coins from the Royal Mint slipping through the net ?
I can only assume this is down to poor quality control and poor management at the RM.
We had a quality problem, big time, with just about every UK manufactured car until the foreigners took over.
Now there's a thought !

Is it called golden triangle, time, quality and scope (how much you do essentially).

Management think for example you can do the same quality and scope in less time. 

In reality you can't unless something makes you more efficient.

When time is reduced and no more efficency exists, either the scope or quality HAVE to reduce.

Sounds like management pressure I suspect.

Something like that anyway.

2 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Is it called golden triangle, time, quality and scope (how much you do essentially).

Management think for example you can do the same quality and scope in less time. 

In reality you can't unless something makes you more efficient.

When time is reduced and no more efficency exists, either the scope or quality HAVE to reduce.

Sounds like management pressure I suspect.

Something like that anyway.

I don't work at the RM but at my workplace it's all about the numbers on the higher-ups spreadsheets so I can see this happening in the RM :( 

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

Thought I add to this aswell after being let down, after being so excited to received this set, a smile so big it reminded me of recieving my first car. First proof coins purchased and was so excited to be amongst the lucky 300 to own this set to enjoy for years to come. Stunning amazing beautiful looking coins when viewing at different angles. 

However I got brought straight down to earth, I did think about keeping it and just enjoying it with milk spots and blemeishes but slept on it and it bugged me the more I looked and thought about it and just wondered its only going to get worse. So decided to wipe my hands clean of it, learnt a lesson and be done with it.

From happiness, to denial, to anger, to saddness  and now acceptance.

Thanks for the emotions and memories.  

Screenshot 2021-07-03 09.43.35.png

Edited by Slam

5 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Decided to send them back Special Delivery for my own peace of mind.

29.50. Ouch!

No way mate, get them to send you a returns label, you should not be slammed for the postage.  Let us know how you get on…….all the best dave 

32 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

No way mate, get them to send you a returns label, you should not be slammed for the postage.  Let us know how you get on…….all the best dave 

They are sending a returns label, I just don't understand the insurance details etc. Going to ring the on Monday to push the fact I really want a replacement and will ask about a postage refund. Not hopeful on that one though 

Edited by NewCoins

21 hours ago, pricha said:

I often wondered what happens to coins that are returned . Are they scrapped or sold on ? Also, if they have say 300 SOTD minted and are sold out, then any replacements would not be SOTD  🤪 

Then it would just be a SHITER 

Stuck Hurriedly In Time Emergency Replacement !!! 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Shinus73 said:

9 out of 10 were OK, but not Griffin.

A3600DD7-718B-4614-8805-21A198643BD3.jpeg

If you have only one, do everything you can to hold onto the set and just get the mint to agree to swap the 1 coin.  Don’t give them the chance just to refund you instead of dealing with the issue. Had this with my 2019 gold proof 50p set and I’m still upset about that! 

5 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you have only one, do everything you can to hold onto the set and just get the mint to agree to swap the 1 coin.  Don’t give them the chance just to refund you instead of dealing with the issue. Had this with my 2019 gold proof 50p set and I’m still upset about that! 

So, I asked about this with my set, they insist that I send all coins back and they will then look at the quality of everything and make a decision on the way forward.

I'm not hopeful for a perfect set here, it seems like a long shot.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, I asked about this with my set, they insist that I send all coins back and they will then look at the quality of everything and make a decision on the way forward.

I'm not hopeful for a perfect set here, it seems like a long shot.

My view would be, which likely isn't theirs, they should be doing everything they can to make it right.

I can't sit here and say I won't be a customer anymore but, I am now wise to that fact that buying a proof set, will likely result in a low hit rate.

That's just not good enough from a customers perspective 

2 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

My view would be, which likely isn't theirs, they should be doing everything they can to make it right.

I can't sit here and say I won't be a customer anymore but, I am now wise to that fact that buying a proof set, will likely result in a low hit rate.

That's just not good enough from a customers perspective 

Well, the account manager I spoke to said they would try their hardest to make sure that this situation is resolved as best as possible, but she was also managing my expectations by saying that there is always the option of a full refund if not.

Personally I want this set as a collectors piece, I would be keen to hold this for a while and not flip it, especially if it is in pristine condition. 

However, if I get one that is less than perfect, I would likely take it from the mint and just flip it for a few hundred quid if possible just to make me feel a little better about the poor situation. Let's see what happens

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

It’s a tricky one. I was torn anyway, between keeping the set as it came, or grading everything, if they were in the right condition.

Generally I don’t keep proof sets, I don’t have any others, so may yet decide to grade the 9 that are OK and just put the Griffin down to bad luck. Maybe try and acquire one down the line, as I’m sure other sets will be split.

12 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Well, the account manager I spoke to said they would try their hardest to make sure that this situation is resolved as best as possible, but she was also managing my expectations by saying that there is always the option of a full refund if not.

Personally I want this set as a collectors piece, I would be keen to hold this for a while and not flip it, especially if it is in pristine condition. 

However, if I get one that is less than perfect, I would likely take it from the mint and just flip it for a few hundred quid if possible just to make me feel a little better about the poor situation. Let's see what happens

Everyone should apply as much pressure as they can. That's the best chance of getting a positive resolution 

2 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

It’s a tricky one. I was torn anyway, between keeping the set as it came, or grading everything, if they were in the right condition.

Generally I don’t keep proof sets, I don’t have any others, so may yet decide to grade the 9 that are OK and just put the Griffin down to bad luck. Maybe try and acquire one down the line, as I’m sure other sets will be split.

If I were you with just one bad coin, I'd do exactly what you intend grade them, there are always people who just want one individual coin(if you decide to sell) or you could as you suggest pick up the one bad coin you need  down the line, might be a long wait though with such a low mintage.

The simple solution for the RM would be to let customers only send their bad coins in for replacement as certain purchasers will just want a refund. That will give RM a lot of good coins from the sets that come back to send to exiting customers that want replacements.

For example if someone that has 1 or 2 bad coins that leaves 8 as replacements to send out.

Although IMHO that would be too simple for RM to contemplate.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.