• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

25 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Personally I am paranoid enough to not trust a bank to hold my valuables

I agree with the bank trust - government could seize it. The safety deposit company I use for gold is an independent UK company (established in 112 years ago) who've never had an "incident" so I feel really confident with them. I also now insure the deposit box contents (it's surprisingly cheap - perhaps because it's so secure?)

For silver storage, I'm very fortunate. A person I trust with my life gives me access to a safe (only myself and my partner can access it with our fingerprints or a code - that we've set - so only we know it and one other trusted individual). It's one of those safes that even a giant plough couldn't move. I use about 0.0001% of the space, but he doesn't need and can't get rid of it, so I'm making the most of it and take him for lunch every now and again as a thank you!

I've seen YouTube sponsors of the "Dirtyman Safe" and the concept is excellent, but it's getting too well known to the point that burglars will know to scan your garden with a metal detector at night while you're asleep. It's also way overpriced.

3 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I do not feel superior to silver stackers. Quite the opposite. I am envious of their ability to find a safe space to store it all!!!

It's not just the storage space either, but how you store it also brings up issues. Store it within PVC plastic and the silver will turn black. Keep it expose to air and it will milk. In fact it seems if you even sneeze in the presence of silver while in storage, something will happen to it.

3 hours ago, bluemoon said:

It's not just the storage space either, but how you store it also brings up issues. Store it within PVC plastic and the silver will turn black. Keep it expose to air and it will milk. In fact it seems if you even sneeze in the presence of silver while in storage, something will happen to it.

If everyone accepts that silver is a  ___________  metal (not sure of the technical word) that reacts to its environment and changes over time, and that anyone and everyone who stacks/collects it is in the same boat then, my question is: does it matter?

Edited by timsk

On 29/03/2024 at 15:41, bluemoon said:

Store it under pure Argon!!!  That's how certain museum pieces are stored.  Problem solved.  :lol::lol::lol:

I did actually consider experimenting with this idea for fun, but instead I just use airtight tubs with anti-tarnish strips and moisture removers to clean the Sulphur and water out of the small amount of trapped air.  They seem to have done a superb job for nearly a decade now, and my coins look brand new still.  The most important thing to ensure good results would seem to be the choice of box.  There must be no rubber or PVC in the construction, therefore the seal around food tubs needs to be researched to confirm that it is in fact silicon or plastic based, rather than of a rubber or PVC compound.  Obviously the plastic tubs must not be PVC based either.  The brand I use are Lock & Lock, model HPL 824 with a blue seal.  They fit 6 mint tubes perfectly with a little space for an anti tarnish strip and a moisture sachet tucked in with them.  Royal mint coins look exactly the same as they did nearly a decade ago.

If I could be bothered I'd fit them with a plastic valve system so I could replace the Oxygen with Argon as well, but it really isn't worth the considerable effort to make up a load of lids like that.  These food tubs and the strips and sachets to go inside them, cost less than an ounce to hold 150 ounces in brand new shiny condition for at least a decade, probably forever.  Not too time consuming, expensive or difficult to achieve.  The hardest part is researching a solution which you can be confident will work.  I know that mine works, so I won't be changing it.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

Toning isn’t an issue and can make coins look better….. milking doesn’t happen on all silver and is a manufacturing error, it’s going happen or not however you store it, just luck of the draw😮🤔🤔

Never researched this, but I assume tubes are ABS plastic? Does anyone know? It's obviously not PVC. One could just keep them in tubes with maybe a silica gel pack. I opened a tube last week after 5 years since buying it and the top coins had milking, but the dealer had been handling them when he put them in.

1 minute ago, FriedrichVonHayek said:

Shanghai

1 Apr 2024 

USD 27.99

Big arbitrage to CME

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

On 30/03/2024 at 18:36, bluemoon said:

Never researched this, but I assume tubes are ABS plastic? Does anyone know? It's obviously not PVC. One could just keep them in tubes with maybe a silica gel pack. I opened a tube last week after 5 years since buying it and the top coins had milking, but the dealer had been handling them when he put them in.

Good questions

I have seen Graded (slabbed) silver proof coins milk spot after 12 months before. How will silver in capsules look after 20 years, is another question I ask myself..

WEB:  http://www.riverbanksilver.com/     INSTAGRAM @riverbanksilver

1 minute ago, katyc said:

Despite decades of shenanigans with the silver price, interest rates will come down at some point, so gold will continue to rally.

Silver lags behind and eventually momentum kicks in and silver increases at a much faster and higher percentage than gold. So with the gold:silver ration at 90 at the moment, and especially if someone's budget is low, then what better time to focus on silver (while everyone else is focusing on gold FOMO)?

Yep. I have the same strategy.😁

#silverbuyerforever

4 hours ago, RiverbankSilver said:

Good questions

I have seen Graded (slabbed) silver proof coins milk spot after 12 months before. How will silver in capsules look after 20 years, is another question I ask myself..

If they are Perth Mint Kookaburras then pretty good is the answer, better than freshly minted Britannias and triple the price

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative